Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Science, Math, and Philosophy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Right brain v. Left brain test - spinning dancer (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=523906)

Nielsio 10-16-2007 01:42 AM

Re: Right brain v. Left brain test - spinning dancer

[ QUOTE ]
The key is to focus on the shadow and when it disappears, imagine it coming back around in the direction you want.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the trick, yes. But I suspect it works because we project our clock-wisedness on it, and then the object above becomes counterclockwise.

Wyman 10-16-2007 01:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Damn it, I can't make her go counterclockwise. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

qwnu 10-16-2007 01:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
do you see the dancer turning clockwise or anti-clockwise?

[/ QUOTE ]
This wording is ambiguous. I'm assuming everybody takes this to mean "when viewed from above"?

I see counter-clockwise so strongly that I can't imagine how it's even theoretically possible to see it the other way. Coincidentally, I'm pretty much 100% left-brain according to their criteria.

Wyman 10-16-2007 01:52 AM

I see her standing on her left leg and spinning clockwise -- meaning that if she held her right leg out and I viewed her from the top of her head, the right leg would be moving clockwise.

Wyman 10-16-2007 02:02 AM

Weeeeee ok. If I stare at something away from it, for instance the ad underneath it, I can see the counter-clockwise. As soon as I look at the picture, though, she's back to clockwise.

qwnu 10-16-2007 02:05 AM

Interesting. Would you say that the list of "right brain functions" on the page describes you better than the other?

Also, was it necessary to give her nipples? She'd be hypnotic enough without them.

Sephus 10-16-2007 03:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, was it necessary to give her nipples?

[/ QUOTE ]

absolutely. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

PairTheBoard 10-16-2007 03:12 AM

In this link you get a full view of the leg shadows and a smoother dance.

Better Spinning Dancer Image

PairTheBoard

bunny 10-16-2007 03:25 AM

I'm stuck on anticlockwise, looking at the feet/shadow doesnt work for me. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Golden_Rhino 10-16-2007 03:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
do you see the dancer turning clockwise or anti-clockwise?

[/ QUOTE ]
This wording is ambiguous. I'm assuming everybody takes this to mean "when viewed from above"?

I see counter-clockwise so strongly that I can't imagine how it's even theoretically possible to see it the other way. Coincidentally, I'm pretty much 100% left-brain according to their criteria.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same with me.