Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Poker Legislation (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   The Power of Prayer (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=227128)

BenA 10-03-2006 03:59 AM

Re: The Power of Prayer

Some Pig, I predict at least a couple of insulting responses to this post, but I'll try to at least be one positive poster.

I do have faith. The particular faith I have I will keep to myself, but I do agree that appealing to a power higher than ourselves is highly beneficial, especially when done in mass force. For the agnostic, I say, what's the harm? For the atheist, I say, why should you care? If you care enough to ridicule someone for courageously asking faith-based poker players (no matter what religion, sect, or denomination) to combine forces, then you had better look in a mirror. If you find yourself proselytizing a non-belief in the supernatural, you'd better at least admit that you also have a 'belief.' Otherwise, leave us alone.

Doyle Brunson is a good example. If you respect his play but dismiss his essay in Super System 2, you are over-compartmentalizing. In this particular case that lays before us, whether you have faith in anything or not, please don't object to those who do trying a different route.

I say what the hell, October 4th at 5 PM pacific standard time, if you believe in anything at all, let's be humble together as poker players for one moment. What can it hurt except your pride? And if you believe in nothing, then you should also believe that nothing bad can come of this. If you want to argue that point, PM me, but keep your negativity in this forum to yourself.

In any case, this is far better than screaming obscenities or quitting poker. Both of which I have seen explicity or implicitly on 2+2. C'mon guys, this is a crisis, and if you believe in anything, especially in a god who listens, now's the time to ask him for something.

P.S. The caveat is, we should be doing this for far more potent issues as well, in fact more so. But something is better than nothing. If you are impressed by Apollo 13 coming home, remember millions of people gathered PUBLICLY to pray them back. If you want to think its a coincidence, that's perfectly arguable. But don't argue that its inconsequential to our entire existence.

ProsperousOne 10-03-2006 04:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Can we hire NT! as a temporary mod?

I dig his style.

[/ QUOTE ]
Who??????

ProsperousOne 10-03-2006 04:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I say what the hell, October 4th at 5 PM pacific standard time,

[/ QUOTE ]

5 PM Pacific =
4 PM Mountain =
3 PM Central =
2 PM Eastern [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

10-03-2006 04:10 AM

right on brother..but i think this thread will turn into ppl bashing christianity and eventually becoming just another religious debate. hopefully im wrong

StaticShock 10-03-2006 04:10 AM

Pray in one hand and spit in the other. See which fills up first.

dibbs 10-03-2006 04:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Some Pig, I predict at least a couple of insulting responses to this post, but I'll try to at least be one positive poster.

I do have faith. The particular faith I have I will keep to myself, but I do agree that appealing to a power higher than ourselves is highly beneficial, especially when done in mass force. For the agnostic, I say, what's the harm? For the atheist, I say, why should you care? If you care enough to ridicule someone for courageously asking faith-based poker players (no matter what religion, sect, or denomination) to combine forces, then you had better look in a mirror. If you find yourself proselytizing a non-belief in the supernatural, you'd better at least admit that you also have a 'belief.' Otherwise, leave us alone.

Doyle Brunson is a good example. If you respect his play but dismiss his essay in Super System 2, you are over-compartmentalizing. In this particular case that lays before us, whether you have faith in anything or not, please don't object to those who do trying a different route.

I say what the hell, October 4th at 5 PM pacific standard time, if you believe in anything at all, let's be humble together as poker players for one moment. What can it hurt except your pride? And if you believe in nothing, then you should also believe that nothing bad can come of this. If you want to argue that point, PM me, but keep your negativity in this forum to yourself.

In any case, this is far better than screaming obscenities or quitting poker. Both of which I have seen explicity or implicitly on 2+2. C'mon guys, this is a crisis, and if you believe in anything, especially in a god who listens, now's the time to ask him for something.

P.S. The caveat is, we should be doing this for far more potent issues as well, in fact more so. But something is better than nothing. If you are impressed by Apollo 13 coming home, remember millions of people gathered PUBLICLY to pray them back. If you want to think its a coincidence, that's perfectly arguable. But don't argue that its inconsequential to our entire existence.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. Wow. Wow. The one thing Im praying about is that this is a joke post. I try my best not to bump completely BS posts and/or bring political/theological discussion into a forum that should basically be used to inform and discuss Legislature, but I simply cannot stomach this.

If you really feel that appealing to a higher power will help things and you feel the thing we should concentrate on is [censored] internet gambling? For me yes if this never happened my life would benefit in a massive way but I dont think anyone here can really kid themselves that internet gambling is a positive thing for the world other than the fact that people should be able to do what they want with their money as long as it doesnt harm others.

"C'mon guys, this is a crisis, and if you believe in anything, especially in a god who listens, now's the time to ask him for something."

This is a crisis? There are millions of people starving to death right now or dying from viruses or being tortured by oppressive governments and THIS is the time to ask him for something? That is [censored] sick [censored] man.

I really really hope I read this whole thing wrong and this is a joke post because this has to be one of the more laughable things Ive read on the internet, and that says a lot.

BenA 10-03-2006 04:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
havent you heard that frist is god's right hand man? you are barking up the wrong tree.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pure B.S. Just because some moron CLAIMS God's support doesn't mean he's got it. Its time to distinguish between liars and those with integrity. Many believers hate the right wing fundamentalists, and rightly so. The Spanish Inquisition doesn't negate people's true beliefs. People will always use majority opinion to further their own greedy goals, it doesn't mean they represent all religious sects.

I think this argument is appaling. You want to argue withall of Frist's positions, set him up as a piggish hypocrite, but then claim that his proclamations of faith are legitimate? His faith is just as suspect as everything else. Some Christians don't particularly like Falwell, Bush, Frist and the like... but they suffer the fallout. If you want to consider someone's actions suspect, then consider their faith sincerity suspect as well.

BenA 10-03-2006 04:22 AM

dibbs, you said absolutely nothing of value. Either you are saying that our position as poker players are meaningless, or that if it is meaninful, appealing to a higher power is still meaningless. I agree, there are far more pressing issues to contend with. And, if you had read closely, I already said that in the post you quoted. But it is ridiculous that you, a 2+2 poster who implicitly supported internet gambling all along suddenly get on your high horse about 'all the world's problems.' How about one at a time dude. Are you personally feeding the homeless? If you don't want to pray for something like our 'crisis' in the poker world, I bet you don't want to pray for world hunger either. The only thing laughable here is your apparent contempt for real sincerity.

I think that all who advocate some sort of appeal to a higher power agree that this is a small issue compared to hunger, death, medicare, war, etc... but I think you should give the benefit of the doubt and assume that those who pray for this pray for bigger things as well. I don't know what other religions say, but I know one says to pray for 'our daily bread.' Among all the big things, it says to ask for the little ones too. Disrespect it all you want, but look in a mirror first. Don't play poker if you are gonna turn your back on everyone concerned with it. This is a poker forum, don't belittle the game when you feel like preaching.

P.S. Now that I think of it, its ALREADY obvious that this poker issue is considered by all positive posters here to be a tiny issue in the grand scheme of things. No one has even implictly put it above anything like human rights or education. Just asking people to join with you is a truly innocent request. You are a cynic. If you don't care if poker is taken away from you, fine. Leave this forum. It is, after all, about online gambling.

5thStreetHog 10-03-2006 04:27 AM

I will give you the benifit of doubt and assume this post was a joke.But if you were serious,i will accomidate you,meet you half way.I will pray that you and other christians that feel obligated to force their morals and beliefs on me(see some in our government)will leave me alone to make me own judgements and live my own life.AMENNNNNNNNNNN

5thStreetHog 10-03-2006 04:29 AM

excuse my spelling ....was reading my bible as i typed that wowwwwwwwwwww