Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   EDF (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Book Suggestions: memoirs (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=332383)

bustedchucks 02-16-2007 11:06 AM

Re: Book Suggestions: memoirs

majic ninja,

i think marilyn manson is an awful artist. everything he's done blows. the only song that is halfway decent is tourniquet.

having said that I reccomend his memior. drugs, paranioa, ambition, and gossip. quick and fun read.

TheDudeAbides 02-16-2007 11:11 AM

I'd highly recommend Elie Wiesel's Night. It may be standard reading, but if you haven't read it yet I would check it out. Extremely powerful, well written memoir.

4 High 02-16-2007 11:22 AM

William Tecumseh Sherman - Memoirs

JMa 02-16-2007 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Scar Tissue: Autobiography of Anthony Keidis, lead singer of RHCP. Very interesting.

If you've read this can you recommend any other autobiographies? Especially about crazy musicians or extreme personalities?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you liked Scar Tissue you will love The Dirt

theBruiser500 02-16-2007 03:06 PM

I read most of Night and wasn't taken in. I read most of Bob Dylans autobiography, thought it was terrible.

TheDudeAbides 02-16-2007 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I read most of Night and wasn't taken in. I read most of Bob Dylans autobiography, thought it was terrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Night got to me in a way that no book has since. And Dylan's memoirs (Tarantula I think?) are definitely an aquired taste. I enjoyed it though.

cbloom 02-16-2007 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dylan's a huge poser and not very interesting IMHO.

andyfox 02-16-2007 03:54 PM

Mark Twain's autobiography is superb. Our greatest writer's greatest work.

troymclur 02-16-2007 04:09 PM

Re: Book Suggestion: a Memoir

The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test
[ QUOTE ]
wow thanks cbloom i saw the movie always thought it was fiction. read feynman's book and will second the suggestion

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess it's techincally work of fiction, but it's the best chronical of the acid 'revolution' of the 60's and the single best description of what an acid trip is like. The narrative is in the style of an acid trip (read: narrator is tripping) and written with perfect accuracy by a man who never touched a drug in his life, i think. Hunter S. Thompson said of Wolfe that he was too scared of the people that facinated him the most (i probably butchered that quote). The first fourth of the book (about 80 pages) is slow but get past that and i promise you'll finish the book in a few hours.

Make sure you read: "Surely you're joking, Mr. Feynman". It's the best of his canon.

theBruiser500 02-16-2007 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Mark Twain's autobiography is superb. Our greatest writer's greatest work.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got that one Andy. Along with that on my bookshelf ready to read is Ben Franklin's autobiography and Theodore Roosevelts, some good books lined up ahead of me! I think some of the time when I'm disappointed with myself it's because I read so much about great people and that's what I think about and match myself up against. It's cool to hang out with losers every once in a while who I stack up favorably against [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]