Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   BBV4Life (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   My Campus is getting shot up. (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=379938)

punkass 04-17-2007 10:56 AM

Re: My Campus is getting shot up.

[ QUOTE ]
Training and planting random professors to use weapons (like air marshals) can't possibly be that bad of an idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where will this end though...training and planting pastors to avoid church shootings? Managers at mall stores? All bank tellers? The teenagers who work at the local Popeye's that gets held up monthly?

/political rant that doesn't belong here

MusashiStyle 04-17-2007 10:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Training and planting random professors to use weapons (like air marshals) can't possibly be that bad of an idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes it could be. I'm not saying this isn't a sad tragedy but If you consider that probably 100 times as many people probably got killed by drunk driving/bad driving alone on monday u would understand that u don't start changing policy based on 1/1,000,000 chance event.

4_2_it 04-17-2007 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, this is a good idea, the question is just how easy it is to train a dweeb to be able to fire first...

[/ QUOTE ]

How many liberal arts professors do you think would volunteer for this program?

TyFuji 04-17-2007 11:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, this is a good idea, the question is just how easy it is to train a dweeb to be able to fire first...

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. This would be very very innefective unless it was mandatory, but that would just end up discouraging people from teaching....

Karak567 04-17-2007 12:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. This would be very very innefective unless it was mandatory, but that would just end up discouraging people from teaching....

[/ QUOTE ]

I go to college in Virginia. I don't think you'd have a problem finding profs to do it.

TyFuji 04-17-2007 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I go to college in Virginia. I don't think you'd have a problem finding profs to do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, schools in the area wouldn't have trouble getting volunteers. I think this would be most effective as a blind, mandatory process for perhaps 1/10 classroom profs or TAs, just enough to give people the impression that they might not be the only one with a gun.

I think a better idea is to just have a blanket of security inside major school buildings during class hours... This wouldn't be hard. NYU has a security officer or two at basically every door to any building, sitting in front of cameras of most walkways, etc. I am not sure if they carry, but some of them probably should....

samsdmf 04-17-2007 12:19 PM

If you think arming more people with guns would stop the nutters goin on these rampages they are wrong

lyncks2002 04-17-2007 12:29 PM

My sincere condolences to all the families that have lost a beloved member and to everyone who was affected by this.

Also, rest in peace Mr. Liviu Librescu, the 77 years old Romanian Teacher who was the one blocking one of the classroom doors so that the students can jump. He was killed through the door.
"Professor Liviu Librescu, 76, threw himself in front of the shooter when the man attempted to enter his classroom. The Israeli mechanics and engineering lecturer was shot to death, "but all the students lived - because of him," Virginia Tech student Asael Arad - told Army Radio.

Several of Librescu's other students sent e-mails to his wife, Marlena, telling of how he had blocked the gunman's way and saved their lives, said Librescu's son, Joe."
He was Romanian, and a great mind and had to flee to Israel because of the old dictator here.

May the victims of this horrible thing rest in peace!

Suigin406 04-17-2007 12:41 PM

^^yea, i read about mr. librescu, flat out heroic...

MissChriss 04-17-2007 12:58 PM

My newspaper says BLOODBATH IN VIRGINIA 33 people dead and more than 20 injured!
I hope my friend is allright :S

DING-DONG YO 04-17-2007 01:09 PM

alright, I have to say it.

I love how when something like this happens everyone asks "how could we stop this in the future?", then a bunch of hair-brained largely ineffective ideas are thrown around (teacher marshalls comes to mind, lawl).

Has anyone ever considered that there really isn't much that can be done to stop a highly motivated individual from going on this kind of rampage short of turning a college into a prison? And wouldn't that defeat the purpose of college anyway?

Haven't there been shootings like this in office buildings before (remember the guy from Atlanta a few years back?)? Are we supposed to lock them down and have random armed marshalls walking around every office?

Does it make sense to do that on every college campus?

Maybe stricter gun control would have prevented this guy from getting access to firearms, maybe more liberal conceal and carry laws meant that civilians could have stopped him way before the body count got as high as it did. Who can say either way?

I guess my point is that there really isn't any way to prevent this kind of senseless crime, so why turn society upside down trying to find a way?

vin17 04-17-2007 01:09 PM

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/World/20...034474-ap.html
[ QUOTE ]
The gunman suspected of carrying out the Virginia Tech massacre that left 33 people dead was identified Tuesday as a English major whose creative writing was so disturbing that he was referred to the school’s counseling service.

News reports also said that he may have been taking medication for depression, that he was becoming increasingly violent and erratic, and that he left a note in his dorm in which he railed against “rich kids,” “debauchery” and “deceitful charlatans“ on campus.

[/ QUOTE ]

larsjones 04-17-2007 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I love how when something like this happens everyone asks "how could we stop this in the future?", then a bunch of hair-brained largely ineffective ideas are thrown around (teacher marshalls comes to mind, lawl).

Has anyone ever considered that there really isn't much that can be done to stop a highly motivated individual from going on this kind of rampage short of turning a college into a prison? And wouldn't that defeat the purpose of college anyway?

Haven't there been shootings like this in office buildings before (remember the guy from Atlanta a few years back?)? Are we supposed to lock them down and have random armed marshalls walking around every office?

Maybe stricter gun control would have prevented this guy from getting access to firearms, maybe more liberal conceal and carry laws meant that civilians could have stopped him way before the body count got as high as it did. Who can say either way?

I guess my point is that there really isn't any way to prevent this kind of senseless crime, so why turn society upside down trying to find a way?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think one way to decrease such instances is to stop keeping score. Every single one of us who has read the entire thread can say how many people are dead. The idiots who do this kind of thing care about the body count. I think they want to go down in history as the biggest and baddest.

Ontario_Tory 04-17-2007 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know why, but this paragraph struck me as one of the most intelligent summaries of the whole gun control debate I've ever heard. Like the abortion debate, you have two sides feeling uber-strong about their views, which causes them to not even see things from the other point of view. So the intelligent debates degrade into personal attacks...

Adds to the sadness of the situation...

the crabs 04-17-2007 01:45 PM

I used to go up to Minnesota every summer and a lot of people had guns there. I knew some people that would put shotguns on racks in their trucks. I definitely wouldn't want to be cowarding behind a desk thinking about what I could do if I had a gun, while some batshit moron is spraying bullets everywhere. I know gun safety and I would never pull a gun on someone unless they pulled it on me.

If someone wants to carry a gun fine but if they screw up, then i think we should bring back the eye for an eye theory.

the second paragraph was a joke for you hippie morons that think we shouldn't carry guns.

Gildwulf 04-17-2007 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My sincere condolences to all the families that have lost a beloved member and to everyone who was affected by this.

Also, rest in peace Mr. Liviu Librescu, the 77 years old Romanian Teacher who was the one blocking one of the classroom doors so that the students can jump. He was killed through the door.
"Professor Liviu Librescu, 76, threw himself in front of the shooter when the man attempted to enter his classroom. The Israeli mechanics and engineering lecturer was shot to death, "but all the students lived - because of him," Virginia Tech student Asael Arad - told Army Radio.

Several of Librescu's other students sent e-mails to his wife, Marlena, telling of how he had blocked the gunman's way and saved their lives, said Librescu's son, Joe."
He was Romanian, and a great mind and had to flee to Israel because of the old dictator here.

May the victims of this horrible thing rest in peace!

[/ QUOTE ]

serious hero

BowToYourSensei 04-17-2007 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed. every single potential solution has so many drawbacks that they're just flat out unpheasable.

stricter gun control: just like drug control, right? killers can still get guns.

looser gun control: everyone has a gun! hooray! deterrance isn't applicable when everyone at a frat party is piss drunk and 60% of them are carrying. in situations like this, sure, the killer has no chance, but in the long run, more people will be killed than because of one incident.

gun marshalls: ........... how many teachers would seriously want to be carrying a gun on them whenever they go to class?

the best thing anybody can do is beef up security and pray (hire additional campus police, for example) beyond that, there is no solution that works. not yet anyway.

punkass 04-17-2007 02:32 PM

http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/i...ech_convocation

new updates, at least to me include:

"But the Chicago Tribune quoted investigative sources as saying Cho, who was studying English literature, left behind an invective-filled note and had shown recent signs of aberrant behavior, including setting a fire in a dorm room and allegedly stalking some women."

"A note believed to have been written by Cho was found in his dorm room that railed against "rich kids," "debauchery" and "deceitful charlatans" on campus, the Chicago Tribune said."

"In Italy, the leftist Il Manifesto newspaper said the shooting was "as American as apple pie.""

DING-DONG YO 04-17-2007 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"In Italy, the leftist Il Manifesto newspaper said the shooting was "as American as apple pie.""

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF is that? Facist leftovers?

And before you guys flame Italians, keep in mind that this newspaper is obv printed by some goofy fringe group and not representative of Italians.

lol if Reuters cited it.

boomshakalaka 04-17-2007 02:48 PM

if you infact did have a gun, went to retrieve it and then went to be a hero by confronting the shooter.. I bet it would be fun once the swat rolls up and sees you, a student, with a gun, shooting at another student..

gg your life.

DING-DONG YO 04-17-2007 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if you infact did have a gun, went to retrieve it and then went to be a hero by confronting the shooter.. I bet it would be fun once the swat rolls up and sees you, a student, with a gun, shooting at another student..

gg your life.

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt you would be going anywhere to "retreive it" as you would then have to get out and re-enter the building which wouldn't happen.

It would only be useful if it was on your person at the time.

It's not so much being a hero as self-defense.

boomshakalaka 04-17-2007 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

gg your life.

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt you would be going anywhere to "retreive it" as you would then have to get out and re-enter the building which wouldn't happen.

It would only be useful if it was on your person at the time.

It's not so much being a hero as self-defense.

[/ QUOTE ]

well I know, I was just thinking in my head of several people being armed, all of them trying to kill the school shooter, yet there are now 30 guys with guns shooting at students.

There are guns in my house, and I think its a good thing, but Im just imagining this scenario on a campus, seems like a big(ger) mess.

adanthar 04-17-2007 02:58 PM

fun fact: the shooter wrote a 10 page play with a pedophile stepfather in which a 13 year old boy gets killed

Gildwulf 04-17-2007 03:00 PM

"Richard McBeef"

sorry, but that got a big lol out of me

boomshakalaka 04-17-2007 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Richard McBeef"

[/ QUOTE ]
me too, what a weird [censored]..

NT! 04-17-2007 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Richard McBeef"

[/ QUOTE ]

i think it's safe to say the world is not exactly short the next Shakespeare after reading this 'play'

Jetto 04-17-2007 03:37 PM

Yea man this is hardcore SUCKS.

it is just sick..totally inhuman..any kinda shooting for that matter

SoloAJ 04-17-2007 03:38 PM

That is some terribly written stuff for a college junior (at the time, yes?)

That doesn't really matter because even that sad excuse for a play doesn't change the fact that what happened is a terrible tragedy.

hauchen 04-17-2007 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
fun fact: the shooter wrote a 10 page play with a pedophile stepfather in which a 13 year old boy gets killed

[/ QUOTE ]

fun fact: that is the worst written play I've read in my entire life.

THEOSU 04-17-2007 04:54 PM

Mr. Brownstone's a big ball of fun, too.

from abcnews:

[ QUOTE ]

Sources say Cho, 23, killed two people in a dorm room, returned to his own dorm room where he re-armed and left the note, then went to a classroom building on the other side of campus. There, he killed 30 more people in four classrooms before shooting himself in the head.

According to President Charles Steger, the administration locked down West Ambler Johnston Hall dormitory after the first shooting. But he said classes weren't canceled because the shooting was believed to be tied to a domestic dispute and campus police believed the shooter had left the campus.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have read that Emily Jane Hirscher was the girl that Cho shot in the dormitory, whether they had a relationship or whether it was one of those things where he thought they had a relationship. She and Ryan Clark lived in adjacent suites.

from CNN's 360 blog

[ QUOTE ]

Another student told us she first learned there was a shooting in her building when someone instant messaged her and asked her if she was going to class. "Why not?" she responded, not knowing that two people just had been killed.

[/ QUOTE ]

and this is just surreal, from the same place:

[ QUOTE ]

Horne would not speak on camera out of respect for the victims. He also said he did not want to overstate his role in the rescue operation, saying many friends had it much worse. He recounted their stories of helping collect and count the bodies, even as the victims' phones and PDAs rang and vibrated.

[/ QUOTE ]

as an aside, I still believe there's a copious amount of blood on the administration's hands.

entertainme 04-17-2007 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Horne would not speak on camera out of respect for the victims. He also said he did not want to overstate his role in the rescue operation, saying many friends had it much worse. He recounted their stories of helping collect and count the bodies, even as the victims' phones and PDAs rang and vibrated.

[/ QUOTE ]

The rescuer's in the Spain train bombings also mentioned this as the most heartbreaking detail. I can't even fathom how it would break you up.