Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   EDF (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Software products that you think are really good (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=319348)

udbrky 02-06-2007 02:15 AM

Re: Software products that you think are really good

I like Metapad as a replacement for notepad - but it won't do AHK's. http://www.liquidninja.com/metapad/

Powertoy Calculator when you need a calculator: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx

ojc02 02-06-2007 02:30 PM

Does anyone know of a good and easy way to rip DVDs to yr computer? I've found it hard to find one that's easy for newbs.

Soulman 02-06-2007 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Although we're 98% resigned to top-posting e-mails thanks to M$ setting the standard of putting the cursor above the header so long ago (as well as so many people choosing HTML as their default format), if you're a geek or wannabe geek who uses plain text format and likes to reply below the quotes (as is our standard in these forums, for example), here is a free download you may enjoy. I've used it for years. It automatically "fixes" the headers in Outlook when you hit reply, and you can also customize them to your liking. Note that this has no effect on HTML e-mails.

Not sure many will benefit from this, but for the few that will they'll find it pretty cool.

[/ QUOTE ]
I work at a university, and the majority of my e-mails are in plain text. This software is a piece of GENIUS!!!! Thanks ever so much, PM me for free cybersex.

PITTM 02-06-2007 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Exact Audio Copy

[/ QUOTE ]

i have used the program like a billion times. it absolutely owns everything else for ripping cd's. use the LAME codec for super awesome mp3 ripping.

mmbt0ne 02-06-2007 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone know of any good, and preferably freeware, Quicken-type programs for tracking expenses and whatnot?

[/ QUOTE ]

you could try acemoney lite

[/ QUOTE ]

This looks very nice. However, now that I've played around with it some, I really want to be able to have account files for both my checking accounts, my savings account, and my 2 credit cards.

Is buying AceMoney the best way to do this or should I pay for something else?

jba 02-06-2007 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone know of any good, and preferably freeware, Quicken-type programs for tracking expenses and whatnot?

[/ QUOTE ]

you could try acemoney lite

[/ QUOTE ]

This looks very nice. However, now that I've played around with it some, I really want to be able to have account files for both my checking accounts, my savings account, and my 2 credit cards.

Is buying AceMoney the best way to do this or should I pay for something else?

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah I had the same problem. the thing is for $30 you can get basic quicken which has a lot more to it.

bruin 02-06-2007 06:54 PM

i may get flack for this, but Facebook is an awesome website. The interface, speed, reliability and the overall features really do make it a great site.

kniper 02-07-2007 03:43 AM

is there an open-source alternative to photoshop by anychance??

Catyoul 02-07-2007 04:14 AM

Gimp, it's been mentioned earlier in the thread.

CrashPat 02-07-2007 04:20 AM

Not enough love for emacs, I can't stand vi/vim at all, and I really like AUCTeX for LaTeX which is another thing I basically cannot live without. LaTeX is great for documents with a lot of math in them, or if you need to publish to multiple mediums. It is also open and does not lock you into a specific editor.

Dids mentioned Gaim, another tool I use every day. I like it more than trillian, and it is free.

Firefox obviously.

Subversion. Way better than CVS, and having access to my code wherever I am is a lifesaver. Plus apache mod for it is great, I love being able to easily grab the latest revision of a code file without knowing exactly where it is or checking out the whole repository.. and all from a web browser.

VMWare Server is nice, I don't use it that much, but it is great to have around.

Synergy has made my desk much cleaner. Not having 3 keyboards and mice on my desk is nice. And not having to move my hands to change computers is nice too.

TikiWiki is pretty great, I use it for information pages on a few software projects. It has a lot of stuff built in and is somewhat user friendly, I have not set up and used any other wiki products to know if they are easier or better though.