Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Video Games (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Guitar Hero III (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=523244)

GetThere1Time 11-23-2007 05:52 PM

Re: Guitar Hero III

he's also 5th on gh2 ps2 which is ridiculous

vulturesrow 11-23-2007 06:04 PM

Link?

thesilkworm 11-23-2007 08:52 PM

My first day of playing (just got the game today). Decided to start on hard as I've played the previous two games. Completed all the songs at tiers 1-7 at the first attempt. Tier 8 was a little trickier, took about 10 attempts for the Slayer one.

Been trying to beat Lou on hard for hours now, and I just can't do it. From reading this thread, it seems others have had the same problem, and the solution is to get 3 powerups, and use them at the end. It sucks that I can't play this song in practice mode to actually learn it.

I like the game, but I do think the battles are a little silly.

chuckleslovakian 11-24-2007 02:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Link?

[/ QUOTE ]
http://www.scorehero.com/scores.php?...e=2&diff=4

gusmahler 11-24-2007 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Link?

[/ QUOTE ]
http://www.scorehero.com/scores.php?...e=2&diff=4

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow! Here he is FCing Psychobilly:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahZg0pAdw5Y

Ghazban 11-24-2007 04:35 PM

My red fret stopped working today [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I plan to open it up and see if I can figure out what's wrong but with my luck that will just result in the rest of the frets not working either.

chuckleslovakian 11-24-2007 08:16 PM

While we are on topic about that kid. Here he is getting over 750k on dragonforce...
http://youtube.com/watch?v=KUzNcheoY6U

dmk 11-24-2007 10:15 PM

sick

vulturesrow 11-25-2007 01:59 AM

Just wanted to say that the Tenacious D song = teh ghey.

xxrod17xx 11-25-2007 02:30 AM

Shameless brag 2nd on xbox live in Suck My Kiss, 4th on Score Hero. Pwned

MC Chris 11-25-2007 03:00 AM

aw i like that tenacious d song. my favorite song in the game is probably that priestess one

Morbo 11-25-2007 03:08 AM

Regarding alternate strumming, I hate the idea of it. For example, I can play the bass in Reptilia on hard and almost FC it with just downstrumming. Will I eventually have to adapt to alternate strumming anyway as I progress on hard?

Grue 11-25-2007 03:40 AM

well you have to understand that the difficulty in hard and expert is based on 3 different things and different songs emphasize these things: speed of strumming (alt strumming, knights of cydonia), speed of note changes i.e. ho/po (cult of personality), and chord changes (cherub rock etc). Some songs on hard are probably not possible without alt strumming.

MuresanForMVP 11-25-2007 03:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
aw i like that tenacious d song. my favorite song in the game is probably that priestess one

[/ QUOTE ]

yea Lay Down is a great song

TheHip41 11-25-2007 04:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just wanted to say that the Tenacious D song = teh ghey.

[/ QUOTE ]

vulturesrow tried to defile the metal, but he was struck down

vulturesrow 11-25-2007 07:18 PM

Well, The Metal might be teh ghey, but Tier 7 is making me its bitch. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Jack of Arcades 11-25-2007 09:10 PM

I'm getting so close on Tier 7, I just need to luckbox my way into it.

I'm good at alt-strumming the Knights of Cydonia parts though.

notontilt09 11-25-2007 09:16 PM

Tier 7 is easy, Tier 8 is pissing the hell out of me.

Oh, and TDWDTG can rot in hell

Edge34 11-26-2007 01:58 AM

Steve Vai's Halo theme is out now as DLC. Not the hardest song ever but pretty fun.

vulturesrow 11-26-2007 02:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Regarding alternate strumming, I hate the idea of it. For example, I can play the bass in Reptilia on hard and almost FC it with just downstrumming. Will I eventually have to adapt to alternate strumming anyway as I progress on hard?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to echo Grue, I dont think you can do it without learning to alt-strum. I've seen people on other boards claim it isnt needed, but I think for most of use alt-strumming is necessary. Its really not that hard to get used to and the more I play the more I find myself alt strumming.

vulturesrow 11-26-2007 02:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm getting so close on Tier 7, I just need to luckbox my way into it.

I'm good at alt-strumming the Knights of Cydonia parts though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I felt like I was getting better at this game. I even felt like the songs were slowing down for me. Then I hit that first Tier 7 song, it was like getting a bucket of ice water dumped on my head while my console yells "Sit Down, Fool!".

dmk 11-26-2007 11:20 AM

tier 7 hard took me a while

tier 8 hard it taking me a while. but, i finished cliffs of dover easily and just finished one last night. couple more to go!

also on tier 5 on expert

been playing online more than anything the past few days. i like playing songs that i've never seen before and sight-reading and doing better than the person i'm up against

kkcountry 11-26-2007 11:29 AM

i'm at the wall where i can 5* lots of songs on hard but am completely lost on songs where you have to alt strum.

is there an alt strumming lesson online anywhere? good songs (on medium maybe?) to play the whole way through?

notontilt09 11-26-2007 12:06 PM

All my life... (Foo Fighters DLC) would be a good one to learn how to use alt-struming and downstrumming together...

haven't played it on anything but expert but it's got a bunch of tempo changes

Edge34 11-26-2007 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm at the wall where i can 5* lots of songs on hard but am completely lost on songs where you have to alt strum.

is there an alt strumming lesson online anywhere? good songs (on medium maybe?) to play the whole way through?

[/ QUOTE ]

On GH3, I'd recommend practicing Talk Dirty To Me and alt-strumming the chords. They're not really fast, pretty simple changes, but once you get the feel of that down you can speed up to the fast ones.

gusmahler 11-26-2007 02:17 PM

Alt strumming kills me also. There are few songs on Medium that even need alt-strumming, so you hardly ever have to use it. But going to Hard means a lot of alt-strumming.

I'm still doing the transition from Medium to Hard. So if you want some Medium songs to practice alt-strum with, try Raining Blood. (Even then, my best score on that song is with strict down strumming). If you have GH2, Hangar 18 and Monkey Wrench are also alt strumming songs on Medium. (though again, my high score on both those songs are with strict down strums).

For those getting used to the different hand position required for Hard, try Sunshine of Your Love. The main verse riff basically requires your index finger on Red, so it should be good practice for keeping your fingers up there.

MasterShakeJr 11-26-2007 02:21 PM

It's been said before but merits repeating. Practicing the bass parts on hard or expert REALLY helped me learn alt- strumming and orange note shifts.

Jack of Arcades 11-26-2007 03:44 PM

I can't do tier 7.

It's just way too fast.

vulturesrow 11-26-2007 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't do tier 7.

It's just way too fast.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, its [censored] hard for scrubs like me. I just didnt have the willpower to start digging into the Tier 7 songs last night so I went back and finished off medium. That was actually pretty cool because I completed Raining Blood and the Lou battle and it seemed pretty easy after working up to Tier 7 on hard. My plan now is to start improving my scores on the Hard songs I've finished thus far, and start playing some online.

Question for Xbox Live peeps: Are there a lot of people playing on Medium difficulty on Live? I dont think I'll be competitive yet on Hard, though I am going to give it a whirl. Thoughts?

BBC Z 11-26-2007 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Question for Xbox Live peeps: Are there a lot of people playing on Medium difficulty on Live? I dont think I'll be competitive yet on Hard, though I am going to give it a whirl. Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Get real good at TTFAF or DWDTG if you plan on playing online battle. The (360) achivements was setup to promote people playing a cheap as possible to get their 15 wins in a row..

You may occasionally luck it into some else who is just playing for fun and it'll be a close fun game..

treasure those times.

MuresanForMVP 11-26-2007 08:02 PM

from playing TDWDTG I've figured that I can strum ridiculously fast. On expert, I can pretty much fc the ridiculous part where it goes "made an evil hiss" and there's that crazy string of chord strums

MuresanForMVP 11-26-2007 08:09 PM

just played that bonus song Mauvais Garcon...another "wtf were they thinking" song and chart

Jack of Arcades 11-26-2007 08:10 PM

I keep getting stuck at 75% on Knights of Cydonia. Ugggh. I'm getting tired of these songs, so I may just keep playing expert for a while and come back.

bottomset 11-26-2007 08:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Alt strumming kills me also. There are few songs on Medium that even need alt-strumming, so you hardly ever have to use it. But going to Hard means a lot of alt-strumming.

I'm still doing the transition from Medium to Hard. So if you want some Medium songs to practice alt-strum with, try Raining Blood. (Even then, my best score on that song is with strict down strumming). If you have GH2, Hangar 18 and Monkey Wrench are also alt strumming songs on Medium. (though again, my high score on both those songs are with strict down strums).

For those getting used to the different hand position required for Hard, try Sunshine of Your Love. The main verse riff basically requires your index finger on Red, so it should be good practice for keeping your fingers up there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the best thing to do with getting good at alt-strumming is to not care about the score, and just play the whole songs alt-strumming

you'll play worse for a while(I went from FCing medium songs to hitting like 95-7% for a few hours of play before reaching the same level alt-strumming as down-strumming) but the end result will be a much easier time on the tougher songs on hard/expert

triplets like in Raining blood/Barracuda are much easier altstrumming

choccypie 11-26-2007 09:12 PM

Dragonforce is such an awesome song [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Shame I'm not very good at this game...lol

TimTimSalabim 11-26-2007 09:45 PM

Finally beat F.C.P.R.E.M.I.X. on Hard. That's a really fun song to play, once you get your fingers moving in time. Only TTFAF to go (I see a lot of practice mode in my future...)

Zimmer4141 11-26-2007 10:03 PM

I'm 3-1 on Xbox Live right now, pro-faceoff expert. I have yet to be beaten, or even have someone come close to me on Number of the Beast. My best is like 540k now. There was one game where I got gheyed, I chose Number of the Beast, killed him, lost a close one on Cliffs of Dover, then he got the coinflip and chose TTFAF, which I have basically never played. I lost by like 30k, but it was enough.

vulturesrow 11-26-2007 10:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Get real good at TTFAF or DWDTG if you plan on playing online battle. The (360) achivements was setup to promote people playing a cheap as possible to get their 15 wins in a row..

You may occasionally luck it into some else who is just playing for fun and it'll be a close fun game..

treasure those times.

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes me sad...

TimTimSalabim 11-26-2007 11:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
While we are on topic about that kid. Here he is getting over 750k on dragonforce...
http://youtube.com/watch?v=KUzNcheoY6U

[/ QUOTE ]

Not nearly as impressive now that he's 9.

Seriously, the kid is amazing. And it serves as a decent instructional video for some of the advanced techniques.

Grue 11-27-2007 12:09 AM

personally I'm just amazed he can hit the GYO chord..