Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   *official 2007 red sox thread* (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=357666)

Toro 07-27-2007 03:22 PM

Re: *official 2007 red sox thread*

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Tito tried to do something a lot of managers do, leaving a guy in after he's lost it so he can finish the 5th inning and get the win.

He just hit a run in and Tito has no choice, he's out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh, all managers do that.

[/ QUOTE ]

You say "all" I say "a lot" who's to say? Point is that he left Gabbard in too long.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I know - I'm just saying that almost all managers do this for their pitchers, and nitpicking about it is pretty useless.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nitpicking about it isn't pretty useless, it's totally useless, lol. But it's what fans do, second guess managers.

And, if I were in his seat and I'm a player's manager as he is (and I probably would be a players manager based on my personalty) I would probably do the same. But as a fan, watching the game, I couldn't care less if Gabbard gets a W or not.

zer0 07-27-2007 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It just amazes me that WMP has never been able to play everyday for major league team. The closest he's ever come has been when he played like half the 2004 season for the Reds when Griffey got hurt. He's never had more than 336 ABs in a season - and he hit 26 HRs that year.

BTW, awesome ABs by him and Coco with no outs and runners on 2nd and 3rd vs Cliff Lee tonight. Those 2 ABs will probably get lost in the shuffle if they hang on to win tonight, but just dreadful.

Schill had a sick start in Toledo tonight:

5 IP, 66 pitches, 44 strikes, O ER, 8 K, 2 H, 0 BB

started by retiring the first 14 he faced, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

youtalkfunny 07-28-2007 10:10 AM

Didn't Gabbard have like a 6-run lead at the time? Gee whiz, give the kid a chance to get himself out of the inning.

(Tonight's the night, Club seats at Tampa! My first Sox game since Frankie Viola started a game against Oakland in '93. Trip report to follow.)

34TheTruth34 07-28-2007 11:56 AM

Sox finally got over the "23 games over .500" hump. They had been 22 over a bunch of times this season but couldn't get there before.

Also, sorry about my Schilling posts. The misinformation I receieved and then posted here was from an otherwise pretty respectable fantasy baseball site. They totally dropped the ball on that one. The correct info about Schill's minor league start at Toldeo (Tigers affiliate) if anybody still cares is:

-66 pitches (44 strikes), 5 IP, 8 K, 2 H, 0 BB, 0 ER
-retired first 14 batters faced
-only needed 50 pitches to get through the first 4 innings
-fastball got as high as 93 MPH
-7 of the 8 K's were swinging, including a 3 pitch K of former Major Leaguer Chris Shelton

Toro 07-28-2007 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Didn't Gabbard have like a 6-run lead at the time? Gee whiz, give the kid a chance to get himself out of the inning.

(Tonight's the night, Club seats at Tampa! My first Sox game since Frankie Viola started a game against Oakland in '93. Trip report to follow.)

[/ QUOTE ]

He had a 9-1 lead going into the inning and totally lost it. It was 9-4 with the bases loaded and Haffner up. I would have pulled him here because if Haffner jacks one we go from a laugher to a nail biter. Tito didn't and Gabbard plunked him on the first pitch and then Tito lifted him.

If you were watching it you would have seen how bad he had lost it.

ajml 07-28-2007 01:04 PM

As not fun as the last month has been to watch the Red Sox are almost 99% to make the playoffs.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/st...cs/ps_odds.php

zer0 07-28-2007 04:40 PM

from rotoworld:

According to FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal, the Red Sox had a three-way deal in place for Jermaine Dye that fell through because of an unspecified issue with a player from the third club.
The third club is unknown. Dye apparently was willing to go to the Red Sox, who were promising to play him five times per week. Something still might happen here. We're guessing Wily Mo Pena and more would go to the unspecified third team.

how the hell are they going to get dye 5 days per week PT? as bad as drew has been this year, dye has been worse. seems like an incredible waste of time.

TruFloridaGator 07-28-2007 04:47 PM

The one game I get to go to this year & I get to see DiceK & Kazmir. So Awesome, Go Sox!

I'm going to be a regular in this thread more and more with every game the Braves lose. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

anatta 07-28-2007 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

how the hell are they going to get dye 5 days per week PT? as bad as drew has been this year, dye has been worse. seems like an incredible waste of time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was wondering the same thing. I guess the thinking is Papi and JD are dinged. Give them a lot of time off from now until post season.

NT! 07-28-2007 05:29 PM

i doubt they'd actually play dye five days a week, which is probably why the trade fell through