Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   2007 SEC Football Thread (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=488659)

ChoicestHops 10-07-2007 11:03 PM

Re: 2007 SEC Football Thread

[ QUOTE ]
Nutt will need to beat Auburn to have a chance to keep his job IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

We won't beat Auburn. The only SEC game we will win this year is at Ole Miss. And after we lose at Auburn, Nutt will definitely be gone after this season. I just feel bad for McFadden. Most talented guy guy in college football but he's on a team that isn't doing crap.

orange 10-07-2007 11:04 PM

Re: 2007 SEC Football Thread *DELETED*

AS,
glad to hear you had fun. I agree with your assessment. That KM fumble sucked hard (though not as bad as last year, he still needs to learn how to hang on to the ball). I was actually fairly impressed on how our secondary held up, it was the 4th down conversions/damn hester that killed us.

ChoicestHops 10-07-2007 11:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here's the banner that was flown over the Arkansas game. Must-win for Nutt on Saturday.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol at the banner. The game didn't help Nutt's cause either because we played horrible. I couldn't take it anymore and left at half time even tho I scalped some good tickets at like the 40 yd line.

MyTurn2Raise 10-07-2007 11:26 PM

This week's SEC IMO

Florida played LSU even on LSU's field. Florida made the few extra mistakes that they were so good at avoiding last year. Matt Flynn isn't developing enough. LSU needs Doucet back.

I was surprised Georgia couldn't put up more points on Tennessee. I was eating an Illini postgame meal, so wasn't following the action too closely. 0 first half points really surprised me. The Vols offense playing well didn't surprise me.

Vandy is really a pretender. One of the few things I anticipated and made money off of this week. How can an offense that was decent last year and returned all but one wideout starter look so bad?

Spurrier is the man. Woodson picked a bad time to have a rough game.

McFadden is really the man.

Austiger 10-08-2007 11:48 AM

Breaking the SEC down...

Tier 1 (LSU)
LSU

Tier 2 (contenders)
Florida
South Carolina

Tier 3 (could go either way)
Auburn
Tennessee
Georgia
Kentucky

Tier 4 (meh)
Arkansas
Bama
Miss St (not bad against a brutal schedule vs. LSU, @ Auburn, @ SC)

Tier 5 (bad)
Ole Miss
Vandy

TomCollins 10-08-2007 11:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Breaking the SEC down...

Tier 1 (LSU)
LSU

Tier 2 (contenders)
Florida
South Carolina

Auburn
Tennessee
Georgia
Kentucky

Tier 4 (meh)
Arkansas
Bama

Tier 5 (bad)
Ole Miss
Vandy

[/ QUOTE ]

I think its too early to call SC a contender. They definitely could be. They have done everything expected of them up to this point. We will find out the details when they face Florida (and maybe Tennessee).

Tier 3 is definite mediocrity. These teams all can be great one week and awful the next.

Gregatron 10-08-2007 12:39 PM

Some thoughts on LSU I have to get off my chest:

1) The players bailed the coaches out Saturday night. I'm not only talking about the way they performed converting 5/5 fourth downs (2 of which were questionable coaching decisions). I mean the fact that LSU attacked the strength of UF's defense, not going after their secondary, and still won that battle. We have a solid vertical passing game, and did not use it much. Instead we ran right into the heart of UF's defense. Defensively we played very risk averse. UF is probably going to make plays, but we still have to take some risks. We have to count on our ability to make big plays too (on D)! Pressuring the offense on first down and playing more people close to the line will create more second and third and longs. This means more passing for Tebow -- which is what we want! If they make a big play (and they will) we deal with it, and make up for it with big plays of our own. We still won... barely.

2) Ryan Perrilloux is clearly better than Matt Flynn. Now, we should be clear that Flynn is still not 100% (ankle). Also, I am the guy that was very high on Flynn coming into this year -- I thought he was likely to be 2nd team all-SEC. But Perrilloux gives us the better chance to win. I think he is better is all aspects of QBing right now, including passing. Yes, his arm is better than Flynn's, though his decision making may still be suspect (I suspect this is the case, and the reason we have not seen him throw as much is because of this), so there may be some justification for holding him out. Still, there is no reason Flynn should have played against Tulane IMO. He should have been resting his ankle. This 2 headed QB works at its best when QB #1 is healthy.

3) We are legit number 1!! Feels good. GEAUX TIGERS!

Ballzack 10-08-2007 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ok so im back

LSU was very very fun. I got to campus @ 10:00am. Walked around and got lost multiple times. The tailgating was very sick and the place was completely bombed very early. The majority of LSU fans are really bad @ heckling Gator fans though, which was a little weak. The only thing they said was "Tiger Bait!" over and over. We were sort of disappointed by the unoriginality and such. We met some really cool tailgators who had this sort of snowboard type thing with 4 holes (for shot glasses) in it. They were entertaining gator fans by giving us shots and serving us some gumbo (which was amazing). So props to them.

As for the game: [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] . We beat ourselves

-Moore's fumble was, imo, the play of the game. Instead of starting the 4th quarter up 10, with the ball in LSU territory, we fumble
-Tebow's interception. Once again some terrible playcalling and just awfulness by Meyer in the 4th quarter. I am really STILL super disappointed in Meyer and the way he has handled the team (specifically real-time decisions/playcalling, etc).
-3rd and 16. Behind the Moore fumble, this is the play of the game. Simply NO EXCUSE for Matt Flynn to be able to scramble 15 yards here. just rjnbherjbhwjklrtbh
-3rd/4th and shorts. Sigh.

[/ QUOTE ]

Glad you had a good time. But please don't knock Tiger fans for shouting "Tiger Bait." I starting seeing people "chomping" on I-10 more then 100 miles from Baton Rouge. For the record I think saying Tiger Bait is retarded.

I've been to more LSU games that I can count and that was the best atmosphere for a game in Tiger Stadium I've ever seen.

bills217 10-08-2007 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Breaking the SEC down...

Tier 1 (LSU)
LSU

Tier 2 (contenders)
Florida
South Carolina

Auburn
Tennessee
Georgia
Kentucky

Tier 4 (meh)
Arkansas
Bama

Tier 5 (bad)
Ole Miss
Vandy

[/ QUOTE ]

UGA belongs on Tier 4 without a doubt. They have lost 6 straight to the East and lost in particularly embarrassing fashion this week. If losing 6 straight to the East isn't enough to get on Tier 4, I don't know what is.

Other than that no quibbles.

pvn 10-08-2007 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been to more LSU games that I can count and that was the best atmosphere for a game in Tiger Stadium I've ever seen.

[/ QUOTE ]

When LSU wins, it's a great atmosphere. When they lose, it can be toxic. I was at the 2002 Alabama game (bama won 31-0) and after the game, I was in the player's parents parking area (my brother-in-law played for LSU at this time). A group of bama fans walked by, and a *player's father* started *cussing* at this co-ed wearing a bama jersey. I mean, dirty stuff. She finally turned around and said "you're just pissed because you lost, THIRTY ONE TO ZERO, BITCH!"

The man then threw a FULL, UNOPENED can of beer at her, hitting her right in the numbers and dropping her like a rock. Then he laughed. None of the LSU fans in the immediate area thought enough about it to help her out, or to say anything to the jackass (and plenty saw it happen, since they were both being pretty loud).

Good times.

Austiger 10-08-2007 02:39 PM

bills- you have come down quite a bit on Georgia since our debate yesterday. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

bills217 10-08-2007 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
bills- you have come down quite a bit on Georgia since our debate yesterday. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought this might come up - allow me to explain.

I wear a different hat in this forum than I do in SB. This forum is a past results-oriented, homer-oriented forum, intended for mostly pointless debates. You're SUPPOSED to be a donk in this forum.

In SB, I wear my past-results-do-not-indicate-future-performance, non-results-oriented, sharp-thinking, $$$-making hat.

Based solely on UGA's recent results, they have no business in Tier 3 in this forum, and belong somewhere in Tier 4. Hope that clarifies. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Austiger 10-08-2007 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wear a different hat in this forum than I do in SB. This forum is a past results-oriented, homer-oriented forum, intended for mostly pointless debates. You're SUPPOSED to be a donk in this forum.

In SB, I wear my past-results-do-not-indicate-future-performance, non-results-oriented, sharp-thinking, $$$-making hat.

Based solely on UGA's recent results, they have no business in Tier 3 in this forum, and belong somewhere in Tier 4. Hope that clarifies. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Completely understand and agree.

MyTurn2Raise 10-08-2007 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Completely understand and agree.

[/ QUOTE ]

ChipWrecked 10-11-2007 04:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We won't beat Auburn. The only SEC game we will win this year is at Ole Miss. And after we lose at Auburn, Nutt will definitely be gone after this season. I just feel bad for McFadden. Most talented guy guy in college football but he's on a team that isn't doing crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel for DMac as well, he deserves better. But at this point anything that results in Nutt being fired has to be viewed as a plus.

TruFloridaGator 10-11-2007 10:15 AM

I don't understand Mark Richt, all he does is lose to UF & now the East but his track record is still awesome. What happens when he loses to Florida again this year?

UGA always starts the season with 1 loss [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

We discussed it earlier this year but I think his seat is really heating up now after the UT game.

TruFloridaGator 10-11-2007 10:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel for DMac as well, he deserves better. But at this point anything that results in Nutt being fired has to be viewed as a plus.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, so much for his Heisman [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

MyTurn2Raise 10-11-2007 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand Mark Richt, all he does is lose to UF & now the East but his track record is still awesome. What happens when he loses to Florida again this year?

UGA always starts the season with 1 loss [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

We discussed it earlier this year but I think his seat is really heating up now after the UT game.

[/ QUOTE ]

nah...he still has more time
he has tons of young talent in place
they are going to be beasts in the trenches, maybe as soon as next year

If he had two more seasons of mediocrity...good bye
but, I think he gets through Stafford's senior year

mmbt0ne 10-11-2007 04:48 PM

Yeah, Richt is completely safe. The fanbase loves him. I mean, come on, he's a good Christian, has a nice tan, adopts retarded Russian babies and his wife serves the players water on the sideline!!

However, the fanbase loves to hate whoever the coordinators are at the time. Willie Martinez is public enemy #1 right now, and Mike Bobo is only a step behind.

barryc83 10-13-2007 04:24 PM

Alabama lol. Seriously, our defense is sooooooooooooooo terrible. I'd like to personally thank whoever calls plays for Ole Miss for abandoning the run for the majority of the 4th quarter. Benjarvus was eating us up and you stopped giving him the rock, tyvm. They got a TD from a third and goal @ the 17 YL on our best defensive player. Can we hurry up and get Saban's recruits plz?

TruFloridaGator 10-13-2007 07:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, Richt is completely safe.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe so too really but...

Possibly 0-5 in the SEC if they lose vs Vandy today, they have to play UK & then an auto loss vs UF.

What would happen then?

Austiger 10-13-2007 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, Richt is completely safe.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe so too really but...

Possibly 0-5 in the SEC if they lose vs Vandy today, they have to play UK & then an auto loss vs UF.

What would happen then?

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't they beat Bama?

TruFloridaGator 10-13-2007 07:51 PM

0-5 SEC East is what I meant.

imo 10-13-2007 08:59 PM

uk won

TruFloridaGator 10-13-2007 09:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
uk won

[/ QUOTE ]

really?

imo 10-13-2007 09:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
uk won

[/ QUOTE ]

really?

[/ QUOTE ]

think so

TruFloridaGator 10-13-2007 09:02 PM

UGA has luckboxed their way to a chip shot ftw.

Vandy fumbles with the chance to take the lead & then UGA fumbled near 3 Vandy players & it bounces off a Vandy player's leg right back to the guy.

fingokra 10-14-2007 12:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Alabama lol. Seriously, our defense is sooooooooooooooo terrible. I'd like to personally thank whoever calls plays for Ole Miss for abandoning the run for the majority of the 4th quarter. Benjarvus was eating us up and you stopped giving him the rock, tyvm. They got a TD from a third and goal @ the 17 YL on our best defensive player. Can we hurry up and get Saban's recruits plz?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget to thank the refs for that awful overturn on replay to end the game.

not ? if the Wr went out, clearly he did but
Wr was forced out or not its debatable (I'd go with not)
Wr didn't touch the ball first or did its debatable (I'd go with not)

also not sure illegal touching is reviewable
also the refs purposely delayed spotting the ball in order to allow Bama to call TO

with both of these details being debatable the refs somehow found "conclusive" evidence to overtunrn the call on the field, sure?

Austiger 10-14-2007 12:22 AM

1 LSU
2 Kentucky
3 Florida
4 S Carolina
5 Auburn
6 Tennessee
7 Georgia
8 Bama
9 Miss St
10 Arkansas
11 Vandy
12 Ole Miss

TalkingDonkey 10-14-2007 12:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1 LSU
2 Kentucky
3 Florida
4 S Carolina
5 Auburn
6 Tennessee
7 Georgia
8 Bama
9 Miss St
10 Arkansas
11 Vandy
12 Ole Miss

[/ QUOTE ]

UK above auburn, UT, arkansas, bama, UF, UGA

god i love college football

barryc83 10-14-2007 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget to thank the refs for that awful overturn on replay to end the game.

also the refs purposely delayed spotting the ball in order to allow Bama to call TO

with both of these details being debatable the refs somehow found "conclusive" evidence to overtunrn the call on the field, sure?

[/ QUOTE ]

So youre a rebel or a Bama hater? I thought the last play was rather straight forward. The receiver clearly goes out of bounds, comes back in, and makes the catch. Theyre never gonna rule that he was forced out on a late game play like that unless its super blatant, which it was not IMO. Now did he touch it first, I was wondering about this during the review myself. The refs said no, but Ill probably try and see if its up on youtube tomorrow.

Is illegal touching reviewable? Idk but Id bet it is because it was an early game and Ive seen the highlights and havent heard a single thing about this. The refs delayed the spot? L O L sir, breakout tin foil hat plz.

I dont really understand your gripe. The receiver very clearly steps out (undeniable) and comes back in and makes the catch. Sitting in my chair, I was pretty confident it would come back after seeing the replay. When a guy goes out and comes back in and catches the pass isnt it usually called back?

Im biased obviously and Bama played terribly, but the last play was legit IMO. Ask someone else, not sure many people on theis site watched it though.

barryc83 10-14-2007 01:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1 LSU
2 Kentucky
3 Florida
4 S Carolina
5 Auburn
6 Tennessee
7 Georgia
8 Bama
9 Miss St
10 Arkansas
11 Vandy
12 Ole Miss

[/ QUOTE ]

Only change Id make is Ark>MSU IMO.

fingokra 10-14-2007 01:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So youre a rebel or a Bama hater? I thought the last play was rather straight forward. The receiver clearly goes out of bounds, comes back in, and makes the catch. Theyre never gonna rule that he was forced out on a late game play like that unless its super blatant, which it was not IMO. Now did he touch it first, I was wondering about this during the review myself. The refs said no, but Ill probably try and see if its up on youtube tomorrow.

Is illegal touching reviewable? Idk but Id bet it is because it was an early game and Ive seen the highlights and havent heard a single thing about this. The refs delayed the spot? L O L sir, breakout tin foil hat plz.

I dont really understand your gripe. The receiver very clearly steps out (undeniable) and comes back in and makes the catch. Sitting in my chair, I was pretty confident it would come back after seeing the replay. When a guy goes out and comes back in and catches the pass isnt it usually called back?

Im biased obviously and Bama played terribly, but the last play was legit IMO. Ask someone else, not sure many people on theis site watched it though.

[/ QUOTE ]

and I very clearly said that the WR went out of bounds, that isn't debatable

what is debatable is if he was forced which I would say he probably wan't but it is debatable

what is debatable is if he was the first to touch the ball, which on replays looks like he was not

The Bama DB touches it first and the OM WR strips it from him on the way down. Anyway it is defintely debatable

The point is in either of these instances the evidence is nowhere near clear enough to overturn the ruling on the field which was a completed catch

The national media will say nothing becuase they don't care it is an Ole Miss team with a losing record losing to an unranked Alabama
Why should they bother

Also I realize it is nitpicking but after that play the refs immediately spotted the ball and stood over the ball not allowing another play to be run for several seconds (the clock stopped) giving Saban time to run down field and call TO so the play could be reviewed

In the first half Bama fumbled but the next play was not delayed in nearly the same manner so Alabama got another play off

ChipWrecked 10-14-2007 10:31 AM

The Arkansas longtime state motto remains unchanged: Thank God for Mississippi.

'Houston we have a problem'

lol

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

fingokra 10-14-2007 11:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The Arkansas longtime state motto remains unchanged: Thank God for Mississippi.

'Houston we have a problem'

lol

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Arkansas will lose to at least one of the Mississippi schools.

Probably MSU, because the two strenghts Arkansas is supposed to have ST and running game are two of the biggest weaknesses for Ole Miss.

sweetwater 10-14-2007 05:22 PM

state of mississippi's top player for the 2009 class chris garrett commits to miss. state... huge pickup for croom, i'd like to see him do well in starkville and he finally got a big time qb

JTrout 10-14-2007 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
state of mississippi's top player for the 2009 class chris garrett commits to miss. state... huge pickup for croom, i'd like to see him do well in starkville and he finally got a big time qb

[/ QUOTE ]

I live in Tupelo and have seen this kid, he is a legit SEC QB prospect, and undoubtably the best QB prospect Croom has got to commit. Mississippi's top player for the 2009 class is a huge stretch though. He isn't even the best 2009 prospect on his high school team, Chad Bumpus is. Also Garrett's destination has never really been in doubt, his family are huge MSU fans. He does look like an SEC level QB though.

bills217 10-14-2007 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1 LSU
2 Kentucky
3 Florida
4 S Carolina
5 Auburn
6 Tennessee
7 Georgia
8 Bama
9 Miss St
10 Arkansas
11 Vandy
12 Ole Miss

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on Austiger, not even I can put UK above USC at this point! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I rank them 1. LSU, 2. USC, 3A. Kentucky, 3B. Florida (pending this week's outcome)

Then I would flip UGA and Arkansas and there's my list. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

bills217 10-14-2007 06:15 PM

It's funny...Kentucky may have a better chance at an at-large BCS bid if they don't win the East...this is not a conundrum I imagined facing in my lifetime.

Guess I'd rather just win the East and let things work themselves out - the BCS is dumb anyway. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I think Florida will beat UK but I think UK will win their remaining games to be 10-2, 6-2. UGA blows [censored] and we have UT at home on Senior Day.

TruFloridaGator 10-14-2007 06:24 PM

Thanks for the kind words, bills. Good luck this week, I think it's going to be a nail biter. I'd like UK but UF is extremely good after a bye week.