Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   A-Rod opts out of contract (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=533509)

kyleb 11-07-2007 11:59 PM

Re: A-Rod opts out of contract

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
david wright is better than AROD? wtf r u talking about

[/ QUOTE ]
Please respond to the person who made the comments you reference so the rest of us know wtf you're talking about.

Anyway most people around here will tell you that Wright is worth more going foward simply because he's a younger player. He may not be worth more next season, but over the course of the next ten (or however long of a contract Boras wnats) he probably will be.

[/ QUOTE ]

Arod will bring in a shizload of revenue due to him breaking all-time HR record making his value much higher than wright's

[/ QUOTE ]

david wright has him crushed. if you don't understand why, see how much they are paid.

DesertCat 11-08-2007 12:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But nobody in their right mind thinks A-Rod can stay at third.

[/ QUOTE ]

Matt Williams 11-08-2007 02:37 PM

I know he won't do it, but if A-Rod accepted the arbitration that the Yankees are offering, how much money could he get for 1 year?

Karak567 11-08-2007 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know he won't do it, but if A-Rod accepted the arbitration that the Yankees are offering, how much money could he get for 1 year?

[/ QUOTE ]

35-40

Matt Williams 11-08-2007 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

35-40

[/ QUOTE ]

Would Boras let him do that so that by next year the new Cub ownership is in place and he gets the deal he wants?(ownership after he retires, ect.?)

Wynton 11-08-2007 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

35-40

[/ QUOTE ]

That seems way out of line to me. What are the other top position players making? I have a hard time seeing an arbitrator award Arod nearly twice as much.

MikeyPatriot 11-08-2007 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Would Boras let him do that so that by next year the new Cub ownership is in place and he gets the deal he wants?(ownership after he retires, ect.?)

[/ QUOTE ]

Why does everyone keep saying the Cubs can/will/should offer A-Rod ownership options? Is that even allowed by MLB or the MLBPA?

If it's possible and you're Boars/A-Rod what do you think is the smarter decision:

A) Take $35m arbitration contract with the intention of maybe signing with the Cubs next year for 7/$240m and potential ownership post-contract while risking an injury that either ends your career or severely hampers your value

OR

B) Sign a 8 year/$280m guaranteed contract to the highest bidder.

sylar 11-08-2007 03:05 PM

i don't think more than 2-3 teams will offer more than $30M for 1 year, and even fewer more than $35M.

the situation really would have to fall into place, where a team could potentially make $40M more for that season because ARod was there, or if he was possibly the last piece of a championship.

Kneel B4 Zod 11-08-2007 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

35-40

[/ QUOTE ]

lol no. the highest anybody has ever asked for (that I can find) is Clemens 2 years ago, who asked for $22m. The Astros countered with $13.5m

before Jeter signed hi FA deal (years ago, but when free agent salaries were still very high), he asked for $18m, and the Yankees countered with $14m.

there is no way Arod would double these guys.

edit: Miguel Cabrera is around $8m. Arod put up better numbers, but not 4-5x as good

sylar 11-08-2007 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why does everyone keep saying the Cubs can/will/should offer A-Rod ownership options? Is that even allowed by MLB or the MLBPA?

If it's possible and you're Boars/A-Rod what do you think is the smarter decision:

A) Take $35m arbitration contract with the intention of maybe signing with the Cubs next year for 7/$240m and potential ownership post-contract while risking an injury that either ends your career or severely hampers your value

OR

B) Sign a 8 year/$280m guaranteed contract to the highest bidder.

[/ QUOTE ]

i read something a couple of months ago saying that it was definitely illegal for contracts to have ownership clauses.

[ QUOTE ]

from page 213 of the MLB’s CBA,

“4c. The player represents that he does not, directly or indirectly, own stock or have any financial interest in the ownership or earnings of any Major League Club, except as hereinafter expressly set forth, and covenants that he will not hereafter, while connected with any Major League Club, acquire or hold any such stock or interest.”

[/ QUOTE ]

Matt Williams 11-08-2007 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

35-40

[/ QUOTE ]

lol no. the highest anybody has ever asked for (that I can find) is Clemens 2 years ago, who asked for $22m. The Astros countered with $13.5m

before Jeter signed hi FA deal (years ago, but when free agent salaries were still very high), he asked for $18m, and the Yankees countered with $14m.

edit: Miguel Cabrera is around $8m. Arod put up better numbers, but not 4-5x as good

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea but A-Rod was already making $27 million a year. It's not like he's making $15 and asking for $40.

prohornblower 11-08-2007 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

35-40

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea but A-Rod was already making $27 million a year. It's not like he's making $15 and asking for $40.

[/ QUOTE ]

What he was currently being paid should have zero bearing on what an arbitrator deems fair.

MikeyPatriot 11-08-2007 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the situation really would have to fall into place, where a team could potentially make $40M more for that season because ARod was there, or if he was possibly the last piece of a championship.

[/ QUOTE ]

A-Rod would also be extremely valuable to a team like Seattle who feel like they are one piece away from getting to the playoffs (whether or not they actually are is up for debate).

offTopic 11-08-2007 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i read something a couple of months ago saying that it was definitely illegal for contracts to have ownership clauses.

[ QUOTE ]

from page 213 of the MLB’s CBA,

“4c. The player represents that he does not, directly or indirectly, own stock or have any financial interest in the ownership or earnings of any Major League Club, except as hereinafter expressly set forth, and covenants that he will not hereafter, while connected with any Major League Club, acquire or hold any such stock or interest.”

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What if he leaves the MLBPA? Could he then take an ownership stake as part of his compensation?

MikeyPatriot 11-08-2007 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What he was currently being paid should have zero bearing on what an arbitrator deems fair.

[/ QUOTE ]

It has some bearing, though it shouldn't be much more than a building block.

Kneel B4 Zod 11-08-2007 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

35-40

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

from wiki

"In (the arbritration process), the player and the team both submit a salary offer for a new contract; the arbitrator chooses one number or the other, whichever is thought to be most "fair" given comparable wages among players with similar ability and service time."

pls go find a comparble player who makes $35-$40m.

the Yankees would submit somewhere around $20-$25m, and to anybody this will look easily above what comparable players get.

Matt Williams 11-08-2007 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

35-40

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

from wiki

"In (the arbritration process), the player and the team both submit a salary offer for a new contract; the arbitrator chooses one number or the other, whichever is thought to be most "fair" given comparable wages among players with similar ability and service time."

pls go find a comparble player who makes $35-$40m.

the Yankees would submit somewhere around $20-$25m, and to anybody this will look easily above what comparable players get.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting, never knew that. I always thought arbitration was for the players to get a raise better than what the team was offering.

prohornblower 11-08-2007 03:38 PM

Matt, how's that HgH working out for ya? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Matt Williams 11-08-2007 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Matt, how's that HgH working out for ya? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, the money's great but no one told me I would go bald!

metsandfinsfan 11-08-2007 05:41 PM

yankees would have to bid at least 22 -24 million
arod probably submits 38 million

and then he signs for 32 or 33 million at this point

or the yankees gamble and take it all the way

he was supposed to make 29 mil this year i believe so either way he will make more than that

Dynasty 11-08-2007 05:48 PM

There's no chance ARod is going to accept arbitration. You don't opt out of a 3-year, $81(?) million deal so you can get one year contract.

The Yankees are interested in the two extra draft picks they'd acquire when somebody signs ARod as a Type A free agent.

MikeyPatriot 11-08-2007 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Yankees are interested in the two extra draft picks they'd acquire when somebody signs ARod as a Type A free agent.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's amazing A-Rod is even a Type A free agent according to the ESB formula.

sylar 11-08-2007 06:08 PM

what i don't understand is that ARod refused to listen to the Yanks' extension offer, which would pay a total of $32+M for 8 years ($250M/8yrs with incentives). and now we are talking about a 1-year deal for $35? seems like he gave up 7 years of guaranteed highest salary for a 1 year increase of 3 million? makes no sense.

bad business decision if you ask me, but of course, Scott Boras probably knows what he's doing.

MikeyPatriot 11-08-2007 06:21 PM

sylar,

There's no way A-Rod and Boras accept arbitration. Some delusional Cubs fan asked if that was an option.

Matt Williams 11-08-2007 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
sylar,

There's no way A-Rod and Boras accept arbitration. Some delusional Cubs fan asked if that was an option.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, first of all, I'm not delusional. Second, I'm a Yankee fan, not a Cub fan. Third, the question was asked because I want to know what all of A-Rod's options are and the chances of him doing it. Fourth, it IS an option, because he can chose to accept it. It doesn't mean that he will actually do it; nor does it mean do I think he will do it. Case in point, the Yankees offered him arbitration. What's A-Rod's move?

MikeyPatriot 11-08-2007 07:10 PM

Sorry for assuming you're a Cubs fan. In every A-Rod related fan, every Cub fan came out of the wordwork and said, "ZOMG, offer him ownership and suit him up, yo."

If the Yanks offer arb., Boras and A-Rod simply turn it down. A player isn't obligated to enter arbitration hearings. The Yankees will offer because when A-Rod/Boras turn it down, they will get compensatory picks in the draft.

Mondogarage 11-09-2007 01:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]

What if he leaves the MLBPA? Could he then take an ownership stake as part of his compensation?

[/ QUOTE ]

If ARod leaves the MLBPA, he may well never get another plate appearance without a fastball in the side of the head.

kidcolin 11-09-2007 01:16 AM

why? barry did. He still seems pretty good.

A-Rod is a british cigarette, imo

Mondogarage 11-09-2007 02:08 AM

AFAIK, Barry did not leave the union. He removed himself from the union's player marketing (as it applies to merchandising), but I don't believe he actually quit the union.

TMTTR 11-09-2007 02:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
AFAIK, Barry did not leave the union. He removed himself from the union's player marketing (as it applies to merchandising), but I don't believe he actually quit the union.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is correct. Bonds is still in the union. He didn't sign the licensing agreement and therefore is not included in agreements that allow baseball card manufacturers, t-shirt makers, etc. to use every other players name and likeness. He makes separate deals for himself.

metsandfinsfan 11-09-2007 10:15 AM

but there have been players not in the union. Rick Reed comes to mind. Other scabs that were leftover from the 94 strike whose names i cannot remember.

metsandfinsfan 11-09-2007 10:21 AM

Cory Lidle was a scab? didnt remember that. Dont think anyone mentioned it when he died.

Mostly pitchers on that list

Damian Miller was one.... his wiki says he is not in the union
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoRvBca8pcg

i dont recall him being thrown at every day

Mondogarage 11-09-2007 11:04 AM

Very true, but none of them were Barry Bonds, and none of them became scabs after spending 20 years in the big leagues benefiting from the union. Just sayin'.

There's a reason the MLBPA is not only the strongest union in sports, but probably the only strong union at all.

tolbiny 11-09-2007 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

There's a reason the MLBPA is not only the strongest union in sports, but probably the only strong union at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason the baseball union is so strong is that the veterans work with the owners to hold down young players' salaries.