Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   EDF (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Ratholing and Short Stacking in NL Poker (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=365736)

El Diablo 04-04-2007 06:14 PM

Re: Ratholing and Short Stacking in NL Poker

Imsa,

When the game was deep, it was ALWAYS killed to $10 (which made it $20 minimum to open) and often killed to $20 (making it $40 minimum to open). In these situations, people often opened the pot for $60 or more. So, a $100 shortstack really couldn't do anything to annoy people. If they were going to play for $60, $100 is really the same thing to them.

Obviously, in terms of EV, profitability, blah blah blah, these things make a difference. But once you get pretty deep, people just don't care.

ImsaKidd 04-04-2007 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Imsa,

When the game was deep, it was ALWAYS killed to $10 (which made it $20 minimum to open) and often killed to $20 (making it $40 minimum to open). In these situations, people often opened the pot for $60 or more. So, a $100 shortstack really couldn't do anything to annoy people. If they were going to play for $60, $100 is really the same thing to them.

Obviously, in terms of EV, profitability, blah blah blah, these things make a difference. But once you get pretty deep, people just don't care.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didnt know there was a kill. The annoyance factor with 10BB is considerably less than 20BB (especially if there is a kill), although I think the profitability is the same.

MicroBob 04-04-2007 06:58 PM

This doesn't sound too far removed from the 2/5 NL games in Tunica much of the time (I only play live maybe once a month though).

In tunica you can straddle from any non-blind position.
So frequently there's a live straddle from the button, or maybe from UTG, for $10.
Somebody makes it $50 and off you go. sometimes heads-up and other times 7-handed. whatever.

I short-stack this game with min $200 buy-in sometimes against mostly $1k-$3k stacks and have done okay but I also ran pretty hot in a couple of my sessions so the jury is not fully in yet as to whether I'm actually not completely sucky at NL.

My range is actually a bit wider than JJ-AQ though.
And it's a must-move list at the Tunica-Horseshoe (and I think it still is at the Gold Strike too) so you can't ask for a table-switch. If I double or quadruple-up it's either up to me to leave or to stick around (and probably just set-mine and protect my winnings because I'm now definitely playing a bit scared).

Overall I think there are still enough times when it's just folded or 1 limper (or 1 live-straddle guy) to me in late-position and I can still play a little bit of poker and raise with a fairly wide range of hands.
maybe too loose from the hi-jack and cut-off, I really don't know.

It is not really 'in depth' poker certainly but there are actually decisions and reads to be made. Just not as many as for the deep-stackers.

questions 04-04-2007 09:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Questions: My point was civil too, I was not calling you an ignorant person. It was a matter of fact statement, you are ignorant about the topic of using a large stack in a NL cash game.

However, I do understand that the term ignorant is rather abrasive.

[/ QUOTE ]

No problem. I'm a relative beginner, so I AM pretty ignorant. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]