Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Video Games (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Guitar Hero III (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=523244)

kevkev60614 11-12-2007 06:02 PM

Re: Guitar Hero III

Bought a Wii and played GH3 for the first time yesterday. I noticed that a friend holds the guitar differently than I do. When you play is the wammy bar up above the strum, close to your palm, or pushed down below the strum by your knuckles?

Jack of Arcades 11-12-2007 06:20 PM

Should I be training myself to use my index finger on green and red or my pinky on blue and orange? I don't think I can get over the urge to use my middle finger on red.

The Bus Driver 11-12-2007 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Should I be training myself to use my index finger on green and red or my pinky on blue and orange? I don't think I can get over the urge to use my middle finger on red.

[/ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't be thinking in terms of using one finger to cover two buttons so much as being able to shift your entire hand one way or the other.

Jack of Arcades 11-12-2007 06:45 PM

That makes sense, I just can't train my mind to do it yet.

WayAbvPar 11-12-2007 06:49 PM

Finished the Easy tour over the weekend (ph3@r my 1337 skilz!). Beat Lou on the 2nd try, then managed to get through TTFAF on one try. I can't even imagine trying that song on hard, to say nothing of expert. You shredders that can do it have my respect for sure.

gharp 11-12-2007 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bought a Wii and played GH3 for the first time yesterday. I noticed that a friend holds the guitar differently than I do. When you play is the wammy bar up above the strum, close to your palm, or pushed down below the strum by your knuckles?

[/ QUOTE ]
I wedge the whammy between the ring and pinky fingers on my strumming hand.

TheCroShow 11-12-2007 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i think it's all about comfort. i only use my index, middle and ring finger. depending on shifts and what not, here's what i use:

index: green, red, yellow
middle: red, yellow, blue
ring finger: yellow, blue, orange.

i melt faces on expert too...ok that's a lie, i'm stuck on tier 5 on expert =( holiday in cambodia kicks my ass

gusmahler 11-12-2007 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't be thinking in terms of using one finger to cover two buttons so much as being able to shift your entire hand one way or the other.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, if you look at the best GH players, they shift their entire hands up. E.g., during the Hellashes 97% Jordan video ( http://youtube.com/watch?v=d2p_A5BhSFE ), he shifts all the way up to index finger on yellow at times.

Lots of people have a "home" position of index finger on green, but I've always been more comfortable with a "home" position of red, either shifting my hand to hit orange or using my pinky. Then again, I'm also stuck on hard, so I'm probably wrong.

chuckleslovakian 11-12-2007 07:30 PM

To hit the ending trill on Jessica I shifted by index finger all the way up to blue, but thats the only song I've ever done that for. The only other songs I can think of where I even shifted my index finger to yellow are Stricken, Shout at the Devil, Mother, and The Trooper.

TheCroShow 11-12-2007 07:31 PM

anyone else having any difficulties starting/joining a game right now? could be that i've never tried it before..but my buddy created a public co-op game..i click on join game in progress, failed to connect! =(

so he sends me an invite...i accept and failed to connect =(

xbox 360 btw

*edit* so we decided to restart our xbox's and bam, now it works wtf =/

MC Chris 11-12-2007 07:51 PM

yeah mine fails to connect a lot when i'm trying to find random games

BradleyT 11-12-2007 08:21 PM

Thanks for the finger tips maybe I can beat HMWYBS on easy now [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

notontilt09 11-12-2007 08:38 PM

99% of good players are more comfortable w/ index on red and shifting up for green.

For easy/medium there is absolutely no need to do this, but it'll help if you ever want to move up.

If anyone could teach me how to 5* TTFAF on expert that would be great too. Currently stuck at 547k.

Grue 11-12-2007 08:42 PM

my home position is green for the most part but of course it just matters on what is coming up. I have small fingers so have to be very consciousness about the hand shifts that are needed but in general do ok. My only real problem, which I had to "manually" adjust was in the chord shifts (on hard) in the first part of rock and roll all night where I had to "unnecessarily" shift to index on red in order to hit that one gay transition.. anyone know what I'm talking about?

I also upstrum with my right index finger which is apparently really weird, thats just how I started doing it. I tried to try downstrumming but I don't like the control or speed that I can do it. Anyone else do that?

TimTimSalabim 11-12-2007 09:12 PM

I keep my index on Red most of the time, and slide up to Green and even down to Yellow on parts of certain songs require a lot of YBO strength (YYZ comes to mind). Just like alt-strumming, I don't know if it's absolutely necessary, but it seems to make things a lot easier once you get used to it. Actually, I can't imagine passing some songs on Hard/Expert without sliding and alt-strumming, but I suppose there are some who can do it.

Poofler 11-12-2007 10:05 PM

Is anyone else unable to sign into X-Box live (9PM EST)?

holdme 11-12-2007 11:06 PM

UFH ive been stuck on mosh1 on slayer (expert) forever

jakeduke 11-12-2007 11:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
UFH ive been stuck on mosh1 on slayer (expert) forever

[/ QUOTE ]

Two things I figured out that helped me beat it:

1) don't bother with the green notes. Keep your hand with index on red and only worry about those 4 notes.

2) pay _very_ close attention to how the notes are timed. when i kept failing i was thinking thateach set of 4 notes (of the POs) was equally spaced, but that's not the case. there's one set of 4 notes, then another right after, then there's a small rest before the next set. i don't know how well that comes across but watch the note chart and you'll see what i mean. gl!

J-P 11-13-2007 12:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is anyone else unable to sign into X-Box live (9PM EST)?

[/ QUOTE ]

I still can't sign onto live and it's almost 11 here (CST).

GetThere1Time 11-13-2007 01:36 AM

gd it just FCed 3 songs tonight and they're not posted to live. I'm not real thrilled about having to go do them over again either.

MC Chris 11-13-2007 01:48 AM

i mostly downstrum with my thumb, anyone else?

J-P 11-13-2007 01:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
same, but i also alt-strum in the fast parts.

MC Chris 11-13-2007 01:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

right, as do i

vulturesrow 11-13-2007 01:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This might be really retarded question, but can someone please explain alt-strumming to me?

Wheatsauce 11-13-2007 02:15 AM

Strumming both up and down, instead of just mashing down.

MC Chris 11-13-2007 03:04 AM

yeah like say there's a series of 8 notes close together coming up. instead of strumming 8 times downward really fast, you just go down-up-down-up-down-up-down-up

The_Taj 11-13-2007 03:44 AM

http://youtube.com/watch?v=gw2P_gim1Gc

legendary

bottomset 11-13-2007 04:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]

legendary

[/ QUOTE ]

sick thing is, HellsAshes beat that score by 40k or so, 800k will be hit eventually, and probably 850 on some absurd sick run

people used to think Jordan was impossible to FC, but now there are a ton of 99% scores, and a -1note run

vulturesrow 11-13-2007 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah like say there's a series of 8 notes close together coming up. instead of strumming 8 times downward really fast, you just go down-up-down-up-down-up-down-up

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what I thought and it didnt work out so well..

Anyhow, I got tired of trying to beat Lou on medium and wanted to check out hard, so I did. Let me just say that at this point I dont think any songs on expert are within my reach.. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

kyro 11-13-2007 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

legendary

[/ QUOTE ]

sick thing is, HellsAshes beat that score by 40k or so, 800k will be hit eventually, and probably 850 on some absurd sick run

people used to think Jordan was impossible to FC, but now there are a ton of 99% scores, and a -1note run

[/ QUOTE ]

Another sick thing is if you watch GTs video, he hits the fast strum part at the beginning far better than Priest does. If Priest can get that part down, that's probably a good 20k right there.

Jack of Arcades 11-13-2007 01:38 PM

Yeah, I can't shift. It's like.. my fingers can't stay on the buttons. Say I'm doing a YO chord. I have my middle finger and pinkie on the fret and nothing else. So when it's time to shift I don't know where my fingers are, and it takes too long to do a quick succession of notes because I have to tap the button instead of just push it down. I suck. [censored] you, orange note!

MuresanForMVP 11-13-2007 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I can't shift. It's like.. my fingers can't stay on the buttons. Say I'm doing a YO chord. I have my middle finger and pinkie on the fret and nothing else. So when it's time to shift I don't know where my fingers are, and it takes too long to do a quick succession of notes because I have to tap the button instead of just push it down. I suck. [censored] you, orange note!

[/ QUOTE ]

It's always funny reading about the troubles of early-stage GH players because I used to experience the EXACT SAME THINGS. It's just like looking into the past. Trust me when I say it's all about practice, and when you get it you dont think about the placement, you just have a feel for it. Just keep on keepin' on

vulturesrow 11-13-2007 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

YO chord and orange note are currently the bane of my guitar hero existence...FU orange fret!!! [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Jack of Arcades 11-13-2007 04:31 PM

lol yeah, I've only been playing guitar hero for like 3 days

The_Taj 11-13-2007 04:49 PM

Poker; Guitar Hero. There's no difference. At first you may not be so good, but eventually, you find your rhythm, your game.

lol sorry had to copy negreanu in that pokerstars commercial

TheCroShow 11-13-2007 09:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

YO chord and orange note are currently the bane of my guitar hero existence...FU orange fret!!! [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

YO i like using my index and ring finger. i picked up my controller to see how i use it, my gf looked at me wondering what i was doing..so i pretended to play and i asked if she liked my song....silence...

bottomset 11-13-2007 10:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
YO i like using my index and ring finger

[/ QUOTE ]

you shift that far down?

TheSalche 11-14-2007 12:25 AM

For alt strumming - do you guys grab the strummer between your thumb and index finger and just move down and up fast?

MuresanForMVP 11-14-2007 03:11 AM

so I've been playing a lot of battle lately, and have been trying to figure out methods of mastering Lefty Flip,among the other powerups. What I've found is that if I'm on the same difficulty level as my opponent and they use Amp Overload or Lefty Flip on me all I do is hold my powerups (if I have them) and just look at their fretboard. so far it's worked like a charm, as opposed to mashing, turning around,watching the notes,etc.

Also, at certain points in songs it becomes pointless to try and make someone fail; so when I reach a certain thresh hold I just hold on to my powerups. the most valuable being the whammy bar as it automatically takes the death drain powerup away from them for at least one SP phrase. The broken string also takes it away the vast majority of the time.

Anyone else out there have any tips or tricks they use in battle?

Clayton 11-14-2007 05:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure I've reached a wall. The japan venue on hard. Tried two songs and can't beat either of them even after spending an hour in practice mode.

[/ QUOTE ]

funny, the exact same happened to me today. however I am able to beat one of the four songs, forgot which one but it's one of the two current hard rock groups (prob disturbed)