Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   ***yankees official offseason thread***** (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=519047)

Matt Williams 11-10-2007 09:50 PM

Re: ***yankees official offseason thread*****

[ QUOTE ]
his power has been declining substantially in recent years and he's never been a big OBP guy. not a wise investment.

[/ QUOTE ]

But if Giambi is on the team, he can teach him how to 'roid up, get caught, and still play!

Sickboy 11-10-2007 09:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
his power has been declining substantially in recent years and he's never been a big OBP guy. not a wise investment.

[/ QUOTE ]

^ does not compute.

He only has two years left on his deal.
He won't cost us [censored] to get.

Rubeskies 11-10-2007 09:57 PM

Tejada will cost nada, is much better than betemit and will prevent us from doing something stupid like trading way too much for MCab.

Vyse 11-10-2007 10:04 PM

lol, Jose Tabata is nothing?

Matt Williams 11-10-2007 10:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lol, Jose Tabata is nothing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Where does it say they want Tabata? They want ML players like Farnsworth.

Sickboy 11-10-2007 10:12 PM

Farnsworth plus either a close to ML ready pitcher or position player probably get us Tejada. Jose is years from being ML ready

Triumph36 11-10-2007 10:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Farnsworth plus either a close to ML ready pitcher or position player probably get us Tejada. Jose is years from being ML ready

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah i'm gonna go ahead and disagree with you there.

the yankees would have to give up more than this for miguel tejada, and that .442 slugging percentage last year doesn't thrill me. as a third baseman tejada isn't looking all that great.

Matt Williams 11-11-2007 01:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the yankees would have to give up more than this for miguel tejada, and that .442 slugging percentage last year doesn't thrill me. as a third baseman tejada isn't looking all that great.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well obviously there isn't going to be a straight up trade between Farnsworth and Tejada. But he thinks NY is going to trade Tabata for Tejada and no one is saying that anywhere. The artical mentioned Farnsworth, but the O's want MLB caliber players, now.

Rubeskies 11-11-2007 02:30 AM

Anyone think RHP Scott Linebrink would be a good fit for the Yanks to fill a bullpen hole?

rwperu34 11-11-2007 02:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone think RHP Scott Linebrink would be a good fit for the Yanks to fill a bullpen hole?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like Linebrink for the deal he'll likely get. The dip in k-rate makes for too much risk on a long term deal. The teams that are good at managing their roster will take one year flyers on Benitez/Foulke/Gagne/Percival/Wood or sign Codero/Dotel/Rivera.

Vyse 11-11-2007 07:14 AM

Nothing in that article at all suggests the Yankees are in any position to get Tejada, if you actually read closely. What good MLB-ready OF prospects do they have? None. So....

onlinebeginner 11-11-2007 01:15 PM

LOL MELKY!!!!!...then they could be better at 3b and CF

DesertCat 11-11-2007 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What if they play Tejada at SS and move Jeter to third? How many runs does that save?

onlinebeginner 11-11-2007 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What if they play Tejada at SS and move Jeter to third? How many runs does that save?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would love it in a couple years if they signed a good young SS and moved jeter to third... but for tejada this season... just so shortly removed from his GOLD GLOVES!!!!!!!!

for real tho, obviously it would be great if it happened now, but you gotta figure 2010 or later

Rubeskies 11-11-2007 02:45 PM

Melky for Tejada, Tejada to third, Betemit @ short, Jeter to CF FTW!

Vyse 11-11-2007 04:01 PM

The Yankees would have some really bad defense.

lol @ Melky for Tejada. Melky >>> Tejada.

onlinebeginner 11-11-2007 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For the yankees salary is not really an issue... Tejada +FA CF is much better than melky and betemit

They have a HUGE whole at 3b and plenty of money to spend... just because Melky is worth more per dollar and is younger shouldn't really effect the yankees that much...I'm for keeping top prospects like Joba and Hughes cano and kennedy (exception miguel "the beast" cabrera for the last two) but lets not go over board

jtg51 11-11-2007 04:50 PM

Would someone please read this article from Hardball Times and tell me if it's some kind of joke? I always thought that was a good site, but now I'm not sure.

Highlights include trading Melky Cabrera, Wilson Betemit, Shelley Duncan and Darrell Rasner for Johan Santana, and starting the season with Pavano in the rotation and Hughes in Triple-A.

What's going on here? The trade proposal isn't even the biggest lol in the article. Pavano is probably out for the season after TJ surgery.

MikeyPatriot 11-11-2007 05:00 PM

jtg51,

Just because someone at THT posted a crappy article, doesn't mean the site as a whole still isn't good.

Sickboy 11-11-2007 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Would someone please read this article from Hardball Times and tell me if it's some kind of joke? I always thought that was a good site, but now I'm not sure.

Highlights include trading Melky Cabrera, Wilson Betemit, Shelley Duncan and Darrell Rasner for Johan Santana, and starting the season with Pavano in the rotation and Hughes in Triple-A.

What's going on here? The trade proposal isn't even the biggest lol in the article. Pavano is probably out for the season after TJ surgery.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hughes and Joba and Kennedy starting in AAA to start season makes perfect sense

Sickboy 11-11-2007 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For the yankees salary is not really an issue... Tejada +FA CF is much better than melky and betemit

They have a HUGE whole at 3b and plenty of money to spend... just because Melky is worth more per dollar and is younger shouldn't really effect the yankees that much...I'm for keeping top prospects like Joba and Hughes cano and kennedy (exception miguel "the beast" cabrera for the last two) but lets not go over board

[/ QUOTE ]

Kennedy + Cano >>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>> Cabrera

onlinebeginner 11-11-2007 05:11 PM

Sickboy,
that wasn't the poin of my post... my post was about tejada +FA CF>>>>>>>for the yankees due to their financial situation...stop trolling

Sickboy 11-11-2007 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sickboy,
that wasn't the poin of my post... my post was about tejada +FA CF>>>>>>>for the yankees due to their financial situation...stop trolling

[/ QUOTE ]

ya just felt like reminding you that your a idiot if u would trade Cano + Kennedy for Cabrera.

We dont have to give up our starting CF to get Tejada so we shouldnt

jtg51 11-11-2007 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sickboy,

[/ QUOTE ]

What makes you think Tejada will be any good next year? His SLG and OPS+ have declined three straight years and he's never played third base.

Even if he was free I'm not convinced he'd be a good option. Factor in what they'd have to give up to get Tejada and I'd rather have an Ensberg/Betemit platoon.

onlinebeginner 11-11-2007 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sickboy,

[/ QUOTE ]

ya just felt like reminding you that your a idiot if u would trade Cano + Kennedy for Cabrera.

We dont have to give up our starting CF to get Tejada so we shouldnt

[/ QUOTE ]
According to vyse they want a MLB ready outfielder, I was reffering to that post... and saying ya i just felt like reminding you when that's all you wrote in a post is admitting to trolling, so chill

Karak567 11-12-2007 11:53 PM

Posada signed... 4-years 52 million. holy [censored]

kyleb 11-12-2007 11:56 PM

is that supposed to be a bad deal? it's pretty [censored] hard to come across league-average catchers.

Karak567 11-12-2007 11:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
is that supposed to be a bad deal? it's pretty [censored] hard to come across league-average catchers.

[/ QUOTE ]

im excited about having posada back!

4 years is a long time but, as you said, if he can be league average in 4 years then ship it

Matt Williams 11-12-2007 11:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

4 years is a long time but, as you said, if he can be league average in 4 years then ship it

[/ QUOTE ]

4 years in that lineup? Hopefully it pushes him toward the HOF.

Thremp 11-12-2007 11:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He's already there.

brettbrettr 11-13-2007 12:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
it's pretty [censored] hard to come across league-average catchers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't mean to quibble, but how is it hard to come across an "average" catcher? Again, this has nothing to do with whether or not Posada is an average catcher.

Matt Williams 11-13-2007 12:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He's already there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, not yet. And I'm a big Posada fan.

Rubeskies 11-13-2007 12:08 AM

Step 1 Resign Posada (complete)
Step 2 Resign Rivera
Step 3 Resign Pettite
Step 4 Get 3rd Baseman without mortgaging future
Step 5 Fix bullpen
Step 6 Win

Dynasty 11-13-2007 12:09 AM

Posada will be 36 next year and 39 at the end of the contract.

Baseball Reference has him "Most Similar by Age" to Carlton Fisk right now. These were Fisk's #s from age 36 to 39.

1984: .231/.289/.468, 21 HR, 43 RBI
1985: .238/.320/.488, 37 HR, 107 RBI
1986: .221/.263/.337, 14 HR, 63 RBI
1987: .256/.321/.460, 23 HR, 71 RBI

Rubeskies 11-13-2007 12:11 AM

Yeah, but Posada has a career OBP of .385
That is much better than Fisk's.

metsandfinsfan 11-13-2007 12:21 AM

i hate defending yankees

but posada is not a typical catcher in the fact that he didnt start catching till he was older than most catchers do, so i would still expect some big years out of him, and 4/52 is not bad

Dynasty 11-13-2007 12:29 AM

ESPN.com story

They're reporting its $52.4 million, four years.

Apparently, a Miguel Cabrera deal is still possible and the Yankees have definite interest in Johan Santana.

Steinbrenner said the Yankees still were trying to gauge what the Florida Marlins might want in a trade for All-Star third baseman Miguel Cabrera, who is being made available.

"We got a couple ideas, what they might be asking for, and it's a lot," Steinbrenner said. "I don't know what's going to happen there, but there's still plenty of time on that."

It's also far too early to determine whether the Minnesota Twins will attempt to trade two-time Cy Young Award winner Johan Santana, who can become a free agent after next season. Steinbrenner said the Yankees certainly would speak with the Twins if he becomes available.

"I think somebody would be foolish to say they have no interest in Santana," he said, "but it depends. It depends on what they're looking for."

onlinebeginner 11-13-2007 02:42 AM

Would he have done 2 years 35 million?

4 years is to much IMO

TMTTR 11-13-2007 02:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Would he have done 2 years 35 million?

4 years is to much IMO

[/ QUOTE ]

I would take 4 at 52 over 2 at 35 at Posada's age and with his career...

CharlieDontSurf 11-13-2007 04:08 AM

Worst case scenario can't we just move him to 1st or DH in year 3 or 4 if he starts to suck?