Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Ultimate Frisbee (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=485834)

7ontheline 08-29-2007 12:22 AM

Re: Ultimate Frisbee

Seth, So does that mean you're on Poodle Club for the series too?

Anyway, for anyone going to CHC, I'll be the 6'4" Chinese guy on Mr. Briefcase. I'm pretty easy to spot.

sethypooh21 08-29-2007 01:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Seth, So does that mean you're on Poodle Club for the series too?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, stupid out of region rules - they dinged one of our girls for being out of region because she has no address this fall (she is traveling), so I got bumped. In a way it's ok, because getting 5 days off of work for natties would have been a bitch (assuming we qualified...)

So wait, are you one of the Yao twins from Kaze?

w_alloy 08-29-2007 07:06 AM

I pretty much started playing this year and ultimate is a truly awesome sport. Some people at my university are also starting an ultimate club this year, so that should be fun.

In regards to the athleticism comments:

I don't think it's much (if any) worse than any other non-mainstream sport if you account for the size of the player pool. There are many mainstream athletes who could come in and dominate rugby, lacrosse, handball, etc.

It seems to me there is a slightly larger draw for nonathletic people in ultimate because of the nonjudgmental culture, and for the truly elite athletes, time is better spent on sports that can earn $ and scholarships. But overall, as someone who is just starting out in ultimate and has played against a number of D1 type athletes in multiple sports, I have not been unimpressed.

7ontheline 08-29-2007 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's me. I've been out of ultimate for a few years, but started playing again this year. Were you on the Carleton reunion team in 2003 that won regionals?

sethypooh21 08-29-2007 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's me. I've been out of ultimate for a few years, but started playing again this year. Were you on the Carleton reunion team in 2003 that won regionals?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. Didn't we play you guys in the finals or was it semis/game-to-go? Anyway, that was the game that I had the Universe point callahan called back on a BOGUS strip call...

Jay Riall 08-29-2007 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

This is fine as long as you feel similar about golf?

[/ QUOTE ]

You should read the rest of the thread. JR remarks later that he mistook Ultimate for freestyle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but I still think its a pretty second-rate hippy sport.

Boris 08-29-2007 04:44 PM

I used to play regularly. Ultimate is fun as heck. IMO, The key to fun is finding a pick-up game that matches your skill level and passion for the game. I was never that good because I can't friggin throw a consistent fore hand.

AceLuby 08-29-2007 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

This is fine as long as you feel similar about golf?

[/ QUOTE ]

You should read the rest of the thread. JR remarks later that he mistook Ultimate for freestyle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but I still think its a pretty second-rate hippy sport.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only if you consider soccer the same... you need very similar athleticism for both sports.

Jay Riall 08-29-2007 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Only if you consider soccer the same... you need very similar athleticism for both sports.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe if you watch MLS.......

You really think the top flight Ultimate players are going to have anywhere near the skill (relatively oviously) of people like Christian Ronaldo or Ronaldinho??

w_alloy 08-29-2007 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe if you watch MLS.......

You really think the top flight Ultimate players are going to have anywhere near the skill (relatively oviously) of people like Christian Ronaldo or Ronaldinho??

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you mistook what he said. He's saying the athletic skill sets are similar, not the average athleticism of participants.

And if Ultimate was as popular as soccer with as much money involved, I would imagine that the stars of both sports would have similar levels of athleticism.