Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   fans of The Wire: which character is your favorite? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=467269)

TheNoodleMan 08-03-2007 03:29 AM

Re: fans of The Wire: which character is your favorite?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The music to s2 is by far the best, but it's totally ruined by the singer's Grover impression. I'd also give the overall crown to s1.

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored] you for hating on Tom Waits.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're mean.

Sorry man. Friends have tried pushing him, but I just never got it. In this song especially, he sounds like a monster. I'm guessing that that whoever chose the theme agreed with me, since they picked a cover for s1 and only unveiled this one once they had an audience.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm guessing that the show had a smaller budget in season 1 and that the Tom Waits version cost significantly more money to get the rights to.

Jules22 08-03-2007 03:53 AM

what does burrell have over daniels?

in season one repeated references are made to daniels wilder days as the deu sergeant in the eastern division - and purported ill gotten gains investigated by the fbi. That storyline died in season one i had thought, but a comment made by commissioner burrell in season 4 brought it back to my mind, especially with daniels rising quickly through towards the commissioners chair. its tough to imagine daniels doing anything bad, but even he acknowledged that burrell could do him if he wanted to - but feared a bad headline. god i love the wire and its branching multiple season story arcs

Aloysius 08-03-2007 04:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The music to s2 is by far the best, but it's totally ruined by the singer's Grover impression. I'd also give the overall crown to s1.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You're mean.

Sorry man. Friends have tried pushing him, but I just never got it. In this song especially, he sounds like a monster. I'm guessing that that whoever chose the theme agreed with me, since they picked a cover for s1 and only unveiled this one once they had an audience.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never know which album to recommend - but I've found "Small Change" usually does the trick (that I've noticed). Listen to it. And if you have already, listen to it again.

-Al

Jules22 08-03-2007 05:14 AM

Re: what does burrell have over daniels?

i have a list of minor characters i enjoy even tho their appearances are very limited

Major Rawls IID
Ilene Nathan
Detective Crutchfeld
Anton Artis aka Stinkum
Sergei aka Boris from season 2
Bird
Colonel Raymond Foerster
Johnny the heroin riddled bum
Lieutenant Major Dennis Mello (had to look his name up)

FlyWf 08-03-2007 10:42 AM

My favorite really tiny screen time character is Waylon, the guy trying to help Bubs get clean. He's in like 3 episodes for 6 minutes in season 1 and then they get him back for the end of S4. God bless you, The Wire.

A truly fantastic acting job by a zero screen time character is the third guy in Omar's crew in S1. He absolutely nails "tolerant revulsion" in the scene on the stoop. Nails it.

psuasskicker 08-03-2007 01:55 PM

Of the small-timers, Wallace is probably my fav. Felt SO bad for the kid...

- C -

Runkmud 08-03-2007 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You're mean.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never know which album to recommend - but I've found "Small Change" usually does the trick (that I've noticed). Listen to it. And if you have already, listen to it again.

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd pick Raindogs, it's got a bit of everything and if you hate Walking Spanish, there's something really wrong with you.

Runkmud 08-03-2007 02:53 PM

I love this show so much, I avoided picking anyone, as I didn't want to choose favorites. I'm a huge fan of Omar, but I'm suprised McNulty isn't getting more love. I love nothing more than seeing that smirk and knowing he's about to screw up the life of most of the department.

Good call on Wallace, so sad he had to get got. I love the scene where D'angelo is screaming at Avon, "Where's Wallace? Where the [censored] is Wallace?"

joeblack 08-03-2007 02:58 PM

I was on the set of The Wire last month during filming (a friend is an extra).

http://lh6.google.com/jbsgrind/Rq56P...4/IMG_1414.JPG

psuasskicker 08-03-2007 03:05 PM

No sh*t? Did you get a chance to talk to anyone? I'd give my left nut for an hour to chew the fat with Simon and Burns.

- C -