Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   BBV4Life (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Beat: I caught one of my students plagiarizing (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=466668)

AsIlAyDyInGuK 08-03-2007 12:34 PM

Re: Update re: grades

Become a sports teacher. GG cheating. End of thread

Pog0 08-03-2007 02:34 PM

Re: Beat: I caught one of my students plagiarizing

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In college I had many connections with people who amassed old tests from professors. Many times professors would not change their tests or make very little changes. I got access to their old tests and often breezed through the class/tests because of the similar exams. How does this rate on the immorality scale?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't care to get into the "morality" of cheating, but it's unfair to the rest of the kids who actually do the work and learn the material.

And if it were up to me, if I'd caught you I would have thrown you out of school.

[/ QUOTE ]

Incredible. I think that studying with the old tests is completely moral and one would be stupid not to do so given the circumstances.

forshure 08-03-2007 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Make sure that they know that you've been lenient and that other teachers may not be so understanding. Additionally, they should know that professors at the college level especially would have treated it much more seriously, from a 0 on the assignment to an XE for the course (A failing grade specifically given for academic dishonesty)

[/ QUOTE ]

This just reminds me of how every year you get told by your teachers that the next level of school wont be so lenient with late assignments so you really need to focus on it. And how its going to get some much harder next year and at the next level. Like 90% of what teachers have said has started with the at the next level this wont be tolerated type speech. And then next year/at the next level it still is. At my school now there supposedly hardcore against cheating, but i know a few kids who have been caught and none of them have been stopped hindered. I just think back on all the "lessons" of at the next level this and this and this gets so much harder blah blah blah, and eventually you hear it so much and have never heard it come true that you just stop listening caring about this stuff, especially as it almost always related to late homework cheating etc so that no one pays attention to it anymore, esp as I , and prob/possibly other people, who have never really heard/met of anyone getting punished hardcore or to the max.

My best memory of cheating was when on the first test of 8th grade math, these one kid decided to copy his friend. The kid copying managed to get a 18% and the other guy got a 12%.

DrewDevil 08-03-2007 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In college I had many connections with people who amassed old tests from professors. Many times professors would not change their tests or make very little changes. I got access to their old tests and often breezed through the class/tests because of the similar exams. How does this rate on the immorality scale?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't care to get into the "morality" of cheating, but it's unfair to the rest of the kids who actually do the work and learn the material.

And if it were up to me, if I'd caught you I would have thrown you out of school.

[/ QUOTE ]

Incredible. I think that studying with the old tests is completely moral and one would be stupid not to do so given the circumstances.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know what, I misread this and thought it said he had the answers to the test he was about to take (a la Animal House). So never mind, it's perfectly okay to study old tests.

cking 08-03-2007 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i cheated on everything in high school. I mean she should learn to cheat better, but common who has never cheated?

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe you should have studied in English class, bro

[/ QUOTE ]

ha, you should of seen the crap i pulled to pass AP english. When you can write an 11 page paper on 3 books and the life of an author while copying everything and then submit it thru a website that checks for plagerism and not get caught, your good at being lazy (and it still took a long time and by the end of it i actually had learned alot, but still never read the books and most my essay was copy/pasted with me going back and just moving it around)

Blarg 08-03-2007 03:25 PM

Basically people will almost always reason outward from what they do to why it's really okay, NOT the other way around. For many if not most of us, morality is a cover story, not a guideline. So asking a large percentage of people what's immoral is basically just asking them what they've had the opportunity to lie to themselves about, and their willingness to lie to you. Discussing morality when people have so much to gain from immoral acts is a better way to examine the many faces of bullsh*t and see where power lies than to get at anything worth hearing about morality itself.

minnesotasam 08-03-2007 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
If a teacher hands them back to students they're absolutely fair game. Pog0 is absolutely correct here, its 100% moral and simply good study habits to try and find old tests.

EDITED cuz DrewDevil made an honest mistake and I didn't see his correction.

EvanJC 08-03-2007 04:01 PM

who gives a [censored]?

Grasshopp3r 08-03-2007 05:41 PM

You are part of the problem if you don't drop the hammer hard on the cheaters. They should be arrested and put in jail. Talk about degenerates. You are enabling them. They will just cheat better in the future.

Ricky_Bobby 08-03-2007 05:44 PM

When I was in 8th grade I found a copy of the Constitution test on my teacher's desk during scholar bowl practice.

I knew the material already so I was just looking at it more or less as a thrill (I was a badass kid obv). A girl in my class copied the test and took it home. She got caught and ratted me out.

Anyway, the Constitution test counted twice, my teacher gave me a zero on one and let the other grade stand. I got a 'C' in the class and I would have easily got a D or worse if I hadn't done well on the test.

I don't think I ever cheated after that. Looking back I'm glad my teacher gave me a pretty harsh punishment. These kids need to learn that cheating has consequences before they get to college.