Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   EDF (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   How did you do it? Financial Success Thread (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=380992)

N 82 50 24 05-10-2007 06:47 PM

Re: How did you do it? Financial Success Thread

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Obviously feel free to ask away about anything.

[/ QUOTE ]
What's the new idea? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
The new idea is probably an old one that was way ahead of its time.

[/ QUOTE ]
Nope, it has never been done. I obviously don't want to say it yet, but you will agree with me once you've seen it. I will admit that it's a heavily modified version of various things that exist. But it's far enough removed to be completely new.

[/ QUOTE ]
i am soooooo sooo curious. time frame until we hear about it?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm thinking end of June or early July timeframe.

icetonez 05-10-2007 07:18 PM

My favorite story so far.

xorbie 05-11-2007 05:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is the most educational thread I’ve ever read on twoplustwo. I’d like to sincerely thank everyone who shared their story. I found it very helpful as I'm contemplating what I want to do with my life. I'm sure most of the other young guys feel the same way. Just wanted to thank everyone and encourage everyone else to share their stories.

[/ QUOTE ]

TheWorstPlayer 05-11-2007 10:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks, techno. I guess I'm the grinder of the group (at least for now) but I'll give my perspective anyways. I work at a very successful large consulting firm, am towards the top of my class, and am on track to make partner in a relatively short time period (4-6 years - maybe 3 if I get lucky and really bust my ass?). Partners at my firm make around 1-5 million. Assuming I'm still towards the upper end, that means I'll be making 2-3 million per year within 5-10 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure thing bro.

J

[/ QUOTE ]
I really dont understand this point. Are you saying that I'm wrong? Or that I have a warped perspective? Sorry, I just don't get your point.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he's just saying you aren't a grinder... in a compliment kind of way! Btw, that doesn't sound like grinding to me either! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

it's grinding. definitely grinding. mad hours, travel all the time. interesting/thoughtprovoking work but still a grind.

i didn't know you were on partner track though man. congrats!

Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

I seriously doubt this is the case.

[/ QUOTE ]
Uh, it's the case. And thanks, guys. I just meant I was a grinder by working a regular job at a regular company instead of being an entrepreneur or working in high financial speculation or anything. But yea I think it's a pretty kickass job which I love and so far I seem to be doing very well at it. Let's hope I can keep it up.

thatpfunk 05-11-2007 11:55 PM

really liked your story pj!

ActionJeff 05-12-2007 05:53 AM

If I were to break even for the rest of this year, after paying taxes for 2007 I will have about $1.2M in my bank account and another 150k or so online. US taxes are very brutal. I've made everything from poker.

I started playing poker around March 2005, junior year of High school. I made a couple hundred thousand overall by the end of 2005 (rather than more due to some serious blunders), and made several times that in 2006, which I've more than matched in 2007.

I took this year off of college and I don't know if I'm going this fall, or in the Spring, or not at all. I do know that I probably want to go to lots of tournaments this fall, so theres a good chance I don't do college this fall. My high school GPA was very bad because I never tried hard, but my SAT was a 1510. I've had a lot of trouble getting into schools though, because I did so poorly in high school and probably need to put more effort into recommendations, essays etc. I turn 20 in November though, and I don't want to get too old before going to college or anything. I'm not really sure what to do about this.

I only recently moved the bulk of my money offline, and I haven't invested any money yet. My dad makes between $200k and $250k a year but taxes take a big chunk, and my family doesn't have a ton of money. He was making only 1/4 that 4 years ago. I don't really care that much about money and it doesn't enhance my lifestyle. I'm thinking I will give a few hundred thousand to my parents, with the condition that they work hard to lose weight and live healthier lifestyles, and also don't send my sister back to a private school she is at that I think is terrible for her.

Obviously I have decisions to make.

-Jeff

Vang 05-12-2007 06:10 AM

I hope you've thought long and hard about your decision to use money as a way of leveraging your parents into making the decision you prefer.

ike 05-12-2007 06:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I hope you've thought long and hard about your decision to use money as a way of leveraging your parents into making the decision you prefer.

[/ QUOTE ]

yah, i'd definitely reconsider doing this. either give the money to them or don't. don't pay them to live differently, that will [censored] up your relationship with them.

ActionJeff 05-12-2007 06:22 AM

lol, that was poorly phrased. I definitely would not offer to give them money under the condition that they do what I think they should. The main issue is that the private school is expensive, and I absolutely don't want to give them money if they are spending it on that. I will just wait and see what their decision is. I've made very clear to my parents what I think the best decision is, and they admit its close and know that choosing to send her anyway would upset me and IMO is not in the familys or my sisters best interests. Its not that I care THAT much about the school situation, its that I wouldn't want to give them money for it when I'm against it.

ike 05-12-2007 06:43 AM

what about the having to live healthier part?