Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   I can't take college football seriously (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=274568)

Mister Z 12-05-2006 04:34 PM

Re: so what is the right playoff system?

It's kind of hard to feel solid about the BCS system when you know that things like this factor into who makes it into what bowl game:

quote from Steve Spurrier when asked why he voted UF to #2: "Heck, I'm a Gator," he said. "I went there. So I had a lot of reason to vote for them right there. It just appeared they're 12-1, the other team is 11-1, I guess that's about it."

... and I'm a Gator fan. I'm not saying we didn't deserve to play OSU either, but like Urban Meyer said - the only way to determine the real national champ is on the field. Take 8 teams and 3 weekends and settle it. The media would go crazy for it and it would be good for the game.

oneeye13 12-05-2006 06:30 PM

Re: I can\'t take college football seriously

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No, baseball is probably the worst.

[/ QUOTE ]

The worst? So more games means less decisiveness? ok

b

[/ QUOTE ]

If the team with the most regular season wins was the champion you would have a point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then why have playoffs at all? MLB over how long that season is, will weed out the best teams over 162 games for the playoffs. You're really saying that's less decisive than any other sport? You really think better teams are being left out of MLB playoffs than in other sports?

b

[/ QUOTE ]

well, it is probably the sport where the champion is the best team the least. i think it is funny though that a few organizations can spend so many times more than the others and expect to win, not realizing that a 7 game series between two playoff teams is pretty much random in baseball.

iggymcfly 12-05-2006 06:47 PM

Re: so what is the right playoff system?

Well I came up with the snub thing because I figured that interest would already be low in a bowl game for any team that had just lost a playoff game. However, if there had already been a debate about who deserved the last two playoff spots, then the teams that didn't get in would have tons of interest in a bowl game against the team they feel they should have gotten in over anyway.

So Wake Forest fans would want to prove they should have gotten the 8 seed instead of Oklahoma and Notre Dame fans would want to prove that they should have gotten the last at-large instead of LSU. I wouldn't actually call them snub games publicly. That just seemed like the quick and easy way to explain it. There wouldn't be a ton of outrage this year anyway, but if you think back to something like a Cal/Texas situation two years ago, I think it could make a pretty intriguing bowl matchup.

The idea is that the top two losers would have enough cachet for a good bowl matchup anyway, but the lower quarterfinal losers would need a little something 'extra'. I think if you're just talking about intrigue in bowl matchups, the gain from having two semifinals games will more than make up for the loss from having some quarterfinal losers involved.

bernie 12-05-2006 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

b

[/ QUOTE ]

If the team with the most regular season wins was the champion you would have a point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then why have playoffs at all? MLB over how long that season is, will weed out the best teams over 162 games for the playoffs. You're really saying that's less decisive than any other sport? You really think better teams are being left out of MLB playoffs than in other sports?

b

[/ QUOTE ]

well, it is probably the sport where the champion is the best team the least. i think it is funny though that a few organizations can spend so many times more than the others and expect to win, not realizing that a 7 game series between two playoff teams is pretty much random in baseball.

[/ QUOTE ]

You think a single game is less random than a 7 game series?

b

MyTurn2Raise 12-05-2006 08:38 PM

depends on the sport

MyTurn2Raise 12-05-2006 08:45 PM

IMO, good read about the Florida/Michigan change by Mandel at SI.com

oneeye13 12-09-2006 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

b

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

b

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You think a single game is less random than a 7 game series?

b

[/ QUOTE ]

did i say that?

paperjam 12-11-2006 06:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm saying the difference between a couple teams resting some starters the last game of the season and major college football teams scheduling not only some crap ass teams that they are 4+ TD favorites over, but actually scheduling teams a division below them is not something in CFB's favor.

Let me know the next time you even see an NFL teams as a 3 touchdown dog.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Houston might've been that big of dogs in some games the last couple years.

Actually, CFB teams scheduling crap teams or 1AA doesn't really help them.

Unless you're ND. Then everyone you beat is considered top 10.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm...I don't think you went to ND, I'm just guessing though.

bernie 12-11-2006 07:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm saying the difference between a couple teams resting some starters the last game of the season and major college football teams scheduling not only some crap ass teams that they are 4+ TD favorites over, but actually scheduling teams a division below them is not something in CFB's favor.

Let me know the next time you even see an NFL teams as a 3 touchdown dog.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Houston might've been that big of dogs in some games the last couple years.

Actually, CFB teams scheduling crap teams or 1AA doesn't really help them.

Unless you're ND. Then everyone you beat is considered top 10.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm...I don't think you went to ND, I'm just guessing though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good guess.

But watching all the press around ND about the Command in Chief games(army, navy, airfoce and we'll throw in NC) was a joke. I can't think of any other college that gets that much press/credit/props for beating crap teams.

b

Dominic 12-11-2006 07:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've never been able to take college football seriously even though pro football is my favorite sport. I find the whole lack of a playoff system to be completely retarded. Before they had a national championship game I never watched it. Now that they actually have a national championship game I'll watch it a little, but only if I'm really bored. There are way too many lopsided games and even most of the competitive games are meaningless by mid-way through the season cause there's only about 8 teams still in contention, and even most of those teams only have a shot by hoping for several other teams to lose.

Also, I find all the inevitable bickering about rankings, strength of schedule, who beat who by how much, etc. to be so inane, especially when people are arguing about two teams that aren't even in title contention. Does it really matter which team is 14th best? And I don't understand how people get excited about the non-championship bowl games. They are a dumb tradition and are the reason why college football is still the only major sport that does not have a real playoff system.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to admit I agree with most of the above.