Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Barry Bonds indicted (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=547053)

Troll_Inc 11-15-2007 08:41 PM

Re: Barry Bonds indicted

Anyone have the hard numbers on what % of federal grand jury indictments lead to guilty pleas and/or guilty sentences?

Isn't it 80-90%?

Oski 11-15-2007 08:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not that it means much but:

Anderson's attorney, Mark Geragos, said the trainer didn't cooperate with the grand jury that indicted Bonds.

"This indictment came out of left field," Geragos said. "Frankly I'm aghast. It looks like the government misled me and Greg as well, saying this case couldn't go forward without him."

[/ QUOTE ]

... and just before he was about to move to DH.

manbearpig 11-15-2007 08:46 PM

X-posted from the "official thread"

[ QUOTE ]
From the old thread as said by RedBean:

[ QUOTE ]
Our points are rather simple:

Mine:
-Barry Bonds never violated the MLB Steroid Policy.
-Barry Bonds did not admit using steroids in his Grand Jury testimony.
-Barry Bonds has not been indicted, much less convicted of any crime related to steroids.
-Barry Bonds has not been proven to have cheated the game of baseball, as defined by the rules that govern the game.

My points are matter of fact.

[/ QUOTE ]

One of these things is not like the other...

Pudge714 11-15-2007 08:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This just in:

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- A potential suicide jumper who has spent the past half hour weeping uncontrollably has snarled traffic on the Bay Bridge.

Due to his marked despair, police have been unable to communicate with the young man, who has been identified only as "Red Bean" and who is wearing nothing but a Barry Bonds jersey and what appear to be Superman underoos.

More information as it develops.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the funniest thing I have ever read.

[/ QUOTE ]
You must have a miserable life or a horrible sense of humour.

THAY3R 11-15-2007 08:48 PM

So the fact that the govt. spent millions of taxpayers money and after 4+ years finally reached an indictment after 3+ tries(my numbers could be off), you would rate that as a plus to your argument?

vin17 11-15-2007 08:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Can someone in the know summarize what this forum generally thinks of Bonds? Like should he do time?

[/ QUOTE ]

an indictment is just charges being brought against him - he hasn't been found guilty of anything yet.

if he's found guilty, I dunno...seems silly for him to go to prison; but at the same time you can't really have guys lying to grand juries and get away with it

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't think you quite hit it...

manbearpig 11-15-2007 08:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This just in:

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- A potential suicide jumper who has spent the past half hour weeping uncontrollably has snarled traffic on the Bay Bridge.

Due to his marked despair, police have been unable to communicate with the young man, who has been identified only as "Red Bean" and who is wearing nothing but a Barry Bonds jersey and what appear to be Superman underoos.

More information as it develops.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the funniest thing I have ever read.

[/ QUOTE ]
You must have a miserable life or a horrible sense of humour.

[/ QUOTE ]

k. Thanks for the .02.

manbearpig 11-15-2007 08:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So the fact that the govt. spent millions of taxpayers money and after 4+ years finally reached an indictment after 3+ tries(my numbers could be off), you would rate that as a plus to your argument?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it is silly it is even an issue. The whole "war on drugs" is silly. I don't think he or anyone else ever should have been investigated at all.

But as far as the argument of whether it is likely BB used steroids? The indictment is a home run.

I am sure that Anderson getting released is pure coincidence and his lawyer is completely honest when he says this came out of "left field."

offTopic 11-15-2007 08:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

But as far as the argument of whether it is likely BB used steroids? The indictment is a home run.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, the indictment is a basehit. Bonds spontaneously confessing would be a home run. A conviction would be a bases-clearing double.

andyfox 11-15-2007 08:59 PM

One would imagine that it's the end of his baseball career and that the Giants knew it was coming.