Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   ** NBA Conference Finals ** (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=120373)

El Ishmael 05-29-2006 11:37 PM

Re: The refs have drastically favored the Heat so far.

[ QUOTE ]
I love the fact people seem to think the Mavs are the second coming of the 90's Bulls or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobody thinks this, not even tdarko.

CharlieDontSurf 05-29-2006 11:41 PM

The people on here saying the Mavs will sweep the Heat and it will be a totally one sided Finals.

Three words...Shaq, Wade, Riley. There is no way that the Heat lose unless it is in a game 7.

MacGuyV 05-29-2006 11:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Lakers swept the Nets in 01-02, so not so many years...

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't be surprised to see a sweep again.
This Pistons team is playing horribly ("pathetic" and "ridiculous" have been used a lot by the my local commentators) and their only down by 6.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatever...Dallas came how close to losing 3 home games in a row and they're going to sweep Shaq & Wade? OK

[/ QUOTE ]

Spurs is the magic word missing in your post.

[/ QUOTE ]

Phoenix?

Fallen Hero 05-29-2006 11:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The people on here saying the Mavs will sweep the Heat and it will be a totally one sided Finals.

Three words...Shaq, Wade, Riley. There is no way that the Heat lose unless it is in a game 7.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said they would sweep, I never even side it was likely to be a 4 game series, I just said I wouldn't be surprised if it was.

PS: I'd be much more surprised to see a game 7.

junglewarfare 05-29-2006 11:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

care to make a wager?

tdarko 05-30-2006 12:01 AM

Charlie,

I still think the Pho/Dal series is far from over.

CharlieDontSurf 05-30-2006 12:05 AM

If i wasn't broke as a mutherfer then yeah i would.

Tdarko...yeah and I agree....though only really having 5 or 6 players who can actually play leads me to believe it is pretty close to over.
Also I'm not 100% sold on the Heat/Det series being over. I could easily see a let down in game 5.

Hornacek 05-30-2006 12:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If i wasn't broke as a mutherfer then yeah i would.

Tdarko...yeah and I agree....though only really having 5 or 6 players who can actually play leads me to believe it is pretty close to over.
Also I'm not 100% sold on the Heat/Det series being over. I could easily see a let down in game 5.

[/ QUOTE ]

forget game 5. if we have any championship resolve left Game 5 should be a gimme. if we lose game 5 at home, we will need major offseason overhauls.

Game 6 will be the series decider.

CharlieDontSurf 05-30-2006 12:16 AM

Ehhhh game 5 is why Pat Riley will or will not prove his value to the team.
I'd bet money that a Stand Van Gundy would lose Game 5 and maybe even but more than 10 points. With Riley I wouldn't be surprised if he can get them as energetic as they have been the last two games.

Ryan Beal 05-30-2006 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if we lose game 5 at home, we will need major offseason overhauls.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...yCola/flip.jpg

I like the Pistons. This seemed like a bad hire right away to me.

Hornacek 05-30-2006 12:25 AM

Has a first-year 60 win coach ever been fired? I'm curious.

Jack of Arcades 05-30-2006 12:25 AM

I'm losing respect for the Pistons. The players all year praised Flip for letting them play, and with him as the coach they won 64 games. Now all of the sudden he's the problem?

Ryan Beal 05-30-2006 12:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Has a first-year 60 win coach ever been fired? I'm curious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good question. Somehow I doubt it, but I really believe it could happen to Flip if they lose game five.

Ryan Beal 05-30-2006 12:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm losing respect for the Pistons. The players all year praised Flip for letting them play, and with him as the coach they won 64 games. Now all of the sudden he's the problem?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't speak for the players, of course. My own view is that he was never the right coach for this Pistons team.

Jorge10 05-30-2006 12:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't speak for the players, of course. My own view is that he was never the right coach for this Pistons team.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know this isnt accurate and Flip probably knows what he is doing, but he looks like the coach in The Waterboy. I dont know why, but I expect the line, "so anybody got an idea?"

He just doesnt seem to fit in with the team, but the series isnt over so who knows. They can still win.

teamdonkey 05-30-2006 12:50 AM

-this is the same Pistons team as the one from the last 2 years, with the exception of Flip Saunders.

-Flip Saunders has a horrible playoff record

how can anyone think it ISN'T his fault? or maybe Larry Brown was a much bigger part of recent Piston teams than he's given credit for.

tuq 05-30-2006 12:50 AM

People already discussing a Mavs-Heat finals are a bit premature. I can totally see the Pistons winning game 5 at home, gaining Big Mo, then winning the series over the weekend. Likewise, I think the Suns are lucky to even still be playing but they have a chance against DAL...something to consider.

Fallen Hero 05-30-2006 01:05 AM

"how can anyone think it ISN'T his fault?"

because they had a great regular season

Hornacek 05-30-2006 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

tell that to the Minneapolis Tribune. Maybe they will bother to laugh at you.

CharlieDontSurf 05-30-2006 01:22 AM

no Elden Campbell

bottomset 05-30-2006 01:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

tell that to the Minneapolis Tribune. Maybe they will bother to laugh at you.

[/ QUOTE ]

MN was a 1seed once(lost WCF, but top4 seeds within 2gms) a 4seed, and then 5-8 the rest of the playoff years, they never really had a great team

El Ishmael 05-30-2006 01:30 AM

Rumor mill says Flip Saunders has been giving food to Tayshaun Prince. Could be the reason for their decline.

teamdonkey 05-30-2006 02:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]

because they had a great first half of a regular season

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP. 2nd half records for the teams left:

Dallas: 29-12
Detroit: 28-13
Miami: 28-13
Phoenix: 28-13

the spurs went 32-9 over that stretch.

FH aren't you a basketball coach? If players consistantly play worse individually and as a team than they normally do, isn't that almost always the coach's fault?

Jack of Arcades 05-30-2006 02:38 AM

Wow, Detroit had such a [censored] second half, they only went 28-13.

Fallen Hero 05-30-2006 02:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

because they had a great first half of a regular season

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP. 2nd half records for the teams left:

Dallas: 29-12
Detroit: 28-13
Miami: 28-13
Phoenix: 28-13

the spurs went 32-9 over that stretch.

[/ QUOTE ]

their second half of the season was still on par with the teams left, you can't say it was bad.

[ QUOTE ]

FH aren't you a basketball coach? If players consistantly play worse individually and as a team than they normally do, isn't that almost always the coach's fault?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, I certainly think the coach deserves his share of the blame when things are globally going wrong but it seems almost everyone wants to blame the way the pistons are playing exclusively on Flip.

PS: I also realize he probably got more credit than he deserved for their great start.

teamdonkey 05-30-2006 02:50 AM

let's break it down further:

1st 27 games: 24-3
2nd 27 games: 21-6
last 28 games: 19-9

and now they look like crap in the playoffs. This looks like a team that was the best in the NBA to start with but is probably only "very good" now. Hopefully another season with Flip won't knock them down to "better than average".

Jack of Arcades 05-30-2006 02:54 AM

Let's break it down further:

last 4 games: 1-3

Clearly, this team is the worst team of all time.

teamdonkey 05-30-2006 02:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Let's break it down further:

last 4 games: 1-3

Clearly, this team is the worst team of all time

[/ QUOTE ]

edit: before you edited, you said the last 10 games they were 5-5 and clearly average.... compared to the teams left at that point, i'd agree.

after the edit, you have their record for just this round and say it shows they're bad... compared to the teams left at this point, i'd agree.

Jack of Arcades 05-30-2006 03:03 AM

td, detroit didn't even try the last 4 games and only beat new york because... it's new york.

I'm just having trouble accepting that the manager who was a godsend the first half of the season, and was talked about by all the players as amazing, liberating, etc, is now the cause of all the troubles. These guys turned on their coach awfully quick, especially when so early on in the season these guy didn't feel as though they needed a coach in the first place.

Jack of Arcades 05-30-2006 03:05 AM

I was trying to prove a point using absurdity, then edited to make it more absurd, and you didn't get it.

The last 4-games was meant for the last 4 games of the season.

teamdonkey 05-30-2006 03:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was trying to prove a point using absurdity, then edited to make it more absurd, and you didn't get it.

[/ QUOTE ]

except it wasn't absurd....

what point exactly were you trying to prove?

Phoenix1010 05-30-2006 03:12 AM

Did I miss something where the Pistons players are blaming Flip? Link?

Of course I blame Flip but I'd be interested to see if the players are too.

Edit: Donkey, I think he's talking about sample size.

Jack of Arcades 05-30-2006 03:15 AM

Breaking down the season and looking for "trends" can be very misleading, especially when the last 28 games includes garbage games that hardly mattered in the scheme of things.

Fallen Hero 05-30-2006 03:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm just having trouble accepting that the manager who was a godsend the first half of the season, and was talked about by all the players as amazing, liberating, etc, is now the cause of all the troubles.

[/ QUOTE ]

my thoughts exactly

Jack of Arcades 05-30-2006 03:17 AM

"It's like night and day (from last year)," he said. "We've gone from like the first- or second-best team in the league in holding teams to low field-goal percentage to now we're in the middle of the pack. It's night and day."

He put some of the blame on coach Flip Saunders for putting too much emphasis on the offense.

"We work more on offense," Wallace said. "We practice more on the offensive end, than we do on the defensive end. What you practice hard you usually bring to the game."

Clicky

CharlieDontSurf 05-30-2006 03:17 AM

Did you watch any of the pre-game?

Both Wallaces ragged on flip and the game plan.

Chancey seemed to stand up for him.

I hope Rasheed just keeps blaming him instead of actually trying to score points. The Heat will as long as that happens

Phoenix1010 05-30-2006 03:21 AM

Ugh. With this new information, I say Detroit has no chance of winning this series.

disjunction 05-30-2006 09:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I was being sarcastic. I suppose I should be grateful he won us a title, but I think we could have won with Carlisle and that we're better now with Flip in part because of Flip.

[/ QUOTE ]

History may yet be kind to Larry. There's a 1-year grace period between when a team loses a great coach and when they lose all discipline and fall apart.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wrote the above response in February. This is a recurring story in sports, very good team loses very good, tough coach. Team temporarily does better under new, laid back coach and complains about the old coach. With time, team performs worse and worse. I was thinking of Bill Parcells specifically when he left the Giants and Patriots, but there are other examples.

My hypothesis is that the loss of practice habits degrades performance over time.

Spellmen 05-30-2006 12:42 PM

Does Rasheed really regularly stand at half court during timeouts? He did this in game 3 late in the game and the announcers pointed it out, but right at the beginning of game 4 they made a big deal saying how he did this every game and that it wasn't because of any troubles with the coach or team.

bottomset 05-30-2006 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"It's like night and day (from last year)," he said. "We've gone from like the first- or second-best team in the league in holding teams to low field-goal percentage to now we're in the middle of the pack. It's night and day."

He put some of the blame on coach Flip Saunders for putting too much emphasis on the offense.

"We work more on offense," Wallace said. "We practice more on the offensive end, than we do on the defensive end. What you practice hard you usually bring to the game."

Clicky

[/ QUOTE ]

ok you have basically the same roster as you have had for the 2yrs before this, where you were a top defensive team, much weaker offensive team, finished 1st, 2nd .. and Ben is saying that they need to spend more time on defense??

come on they shouldn't need to practice very much on the defensive side