Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   EDF (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Ask TheMetetron about living in or visiting Buenos Aires, Argentina (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=314354)

sdplayerb 08-22-2007 10:11 PM

Re: Poker night in BsAs?

poker next week sounds good. i'll try to set it up soon when i figure out a day that works.

you, and anybody else, up for beers sometime soon?

tomahawk 08-22-2007 11:11 PM

Cool thread!

I moved here from Norway a week ago with my gf, getting an apartment in palermo in the next few days. Definately up for poker and/or beers. Let me know if you`re gonna play sometime soon.

TheMetetron 08-23-2007 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
poker next week sounds good. i'll try to set it up soon when i figure out a day that works.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm saying now don't have it on Thursday. Any other at day at this point in time is free for me but Friday/Saturday are likely to fill up real quick.

Yeah, I'm up for meeting any 2p2ers that live here for beers or helping them get settled/showing them around. Just PM me.

I'm not sure yet, but after next week I think I can recommend the European Club as a worthwhile place to go. Went to my first function of theirs tonight and it was pretty cool. Met some really chill Germans.

straate 08-23-2007 01:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm saying now don't have it on Thursday. Any other at day at this point in time is free for me but Friday/Saturday are likely to fill up real quick.

Yeah, I'm up for meeting any 2p2ers that live here for beers or helping them get settled/showing them around. Just PM me.

I'm not sure yet, but after next week I think I can recommend the European Club as a worthwhile place to go. Went to my first function of theirs tonight and it was pretty cool. Met some really chill Germans.

[/ QUOTE ]

i PMed you a month ago when i decided to go but you didnt answer...mailbox full? theres going to be about 4-5 of us moving there (all poker players)

straate 08-23-2007 01:22 AM

and thanks for all this useful information, BTW, very excited to get there

SpecT 08-23-2007 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But most of all, despite all i said here, don't be scared at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

i lol'ed.

IF YOU DO ANYTHING THAT INVOLVES MONEY, TAXIS, OR OPENING DOORS - ESPECIALLY AT NIGHTS, THEN YOU WILL DIE. oh but its no big deal.

I've been here for a week so far and have never once felt in danger. Although I haven't really travelled too far from my apartment.

Oh and im in for the poker game.

RiverPlay 08-23-2007 02:33 PM

lol

I just wanted to state that during the past 15 years almost everyone in this city experienced this kind of situations, and even as a local you have to be kind of carefull about what are you doing in the streets. If you come from Norway you will find a different picture and you might get a surprise if you think you are 100% safe.
But this not being San Pablo or Medellin, I think being scared is not any good. TheMetetron feels safe being from Sweeden (I hope I'm right, =p) because he takes care and I guess he is not a pussy, while there is a lot local people (specially women, and right-wing journalists) bitching non stop about how dangerous is here. Being safe is also a state of mind, so I think that being scared it's not the way to go because chances are nothing is going to happen if you stay for a while, and if you are going to stay for a really long time you might face some situation and staying relaxed is the only way to protect yourself.

TheMetetron 08-23-2007 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
TheMetetron ... is not a pussy

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn right.

From the USA though I try to avoid actually admitting that. I used to live in Sweden which is probably where you got that from.

For people who are going to be living in Argentina for a while, PM me now and I promise I'll answer. The best ways to get a hold of me are AIM, Facebook, and my cell phone.

Edit: [censored] it. If you want to get in touch just AIM me at TheMetetron2p2. If you want my facebook or cell I have to meet you first and not have you try to kill me.

LuckyDevil 08-23-2007 04:52 PM

I am willing to host the poker game at my Apt in Palermo if there is enough interest. I have been told the plan is to have the first one on August 29th, thats next Wednesday. PM me for my address if you are planning to go.

I have a pretty open space with a large enough table and chairs for 7-8 people. I don't have any chips, if anyone has those please let me know.

Please post questions and comments in the thread. Thanks.

TheMetetron 08-23-2007 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am willing to host the poker game at my Apt in Palermo if there is enough interest. I have been told the plan is to have the first one on August 29th, thats next Wednesday. PM me for my address if you are planning to go.

I have a pretty open space with a large enough table and chairs for 7-8 people. I don't have any chips, if anyone has those please let me know.

[/ QUOTE ]

In like Flynn. No chips. I have some marked cards if we need some. What the [censored] are we playing anyway?

Nordino 08-23-2007 10:28 PM

I am up for that one, LuckyDevil. When will the game start and how much are we playing for? My class won't end before 16.30, so I hope it will start late (well, "late" in Argentina is another word than late in Norway, where I come from).

LuckyDevil 08-23-2007 11:08 PM

I think 8:00 PM is a good time. Let me know if there is a problem and we can look at changing it.

LuckyDevil 08-23-2007 11:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In like Flynn. No chips. I have some marked cards if we need some. What the [censored] are we playing anyway?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what the [censored] we are playing for. SDplayer has suggested 3-5 peso NL Holdem, but i don't care if we play .01-.02 yen H/L Stud with no qualifier. Its whatever the majority wants. Everyone, please voice your opinion on what stakes we should play.

Nordino 08-23-2007 11:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think 8:00 PM is a good time. Let me know if there is a problem and we can look at changing it.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a good one. I suggest 2/4, but I will listen to the majority if you others want to play higher or lower.

TheMetetron 08-24-2007 02:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is much too early. I can't even eat dinner before then so I'm expecting to be fed.

SpecT 08-24-2007 09:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Everyone, please voice your opinion on what stakes we should play.

[/ QUOTE ]

2/4 sounds good. im not too fussed wat stakes it is.

i vote for stud8/O8 but Im fine with any game.

metetron also votes stud8, he loves that [censored]

RiverPlay 08-24-2007 11:46 AM

I'm in. 2/4 sounds goood. My claim is that it would be cool to order some empanadas ( they told me this are good http://www.lapascana.com.ar/empanadas.html ) so that we can meet early, have something to eat and use that time to introduce ourselves, talk, etc.
I have two pretty new Kem decks, and this chips http://www.masoportunidades.clarin.c...con-200-fichas, but they are not very cool and 200 is not a lot ( I have some other we could use as X denomination if we need to add chips and we can't).
So I would vote 2/4 NLHE, maybe we should all vote and go with the trend. LuckyDevil propossed himself as a host so I dont know how is he handling it I think with should post like a list about who is coming so that we keep updated.

TheMetetron 08-24-2007 11:50 AM

200 chips should be fine, no? I imagine we can just use AR$100 bills as well in the game.

RiverPlay 08-24-2007 11:55 AM

I used to play with like five people and run out of chips, but maybe we were dumb and used too many chips, and also people was loosing BI after BI which I think it's not going to be the case here.
edit: and I also think I might have lost like 20 out of the 200 pack.

TheMetetron 08-24-2007 12:11 PM

Yeah, the more I think about this even using $100 peso bills we are going to need more chips.

sdplayerb 08-24-2007 12:54 PM

2-4 sounds good to me as well. Seems like pretty much everybody is.
Yeah, 100 peso bills, or even just saying money plays, will make it all fine.
Just some chips are needed for the blinds, etc.
Sounds like all is in good shape!

tomahawk 08-24-2007 01:22 PM

I'm in.

2-4 sounds good. Buy chips here maybe?

LuckyDevil 08-24-2007 05:01 PM

Ok so far the list of people playing on August 29, at a time yet to be completely settled, is as follows:

LuckyDevil (Myself)
Zack (Real name. He's a friend of mine. Doesn't post on 2+2.)
sdplayerb
SpecT
Nordino
TheMetetron
RiverPlay
tomahawk

So thats 8 people. I could maybe fit in one more. Please let me know if anyones plans change, or if i have you on the list by mistake.

Again, we really need chips! If anyone has a set or knows where someone can buy some here, please post.

TheMetetron 08-24-2007 06:10 PM

I'll try and take a look around tomorrow for some chips. I think I have a few ideas for places that may have them.

Please note that I am me, and as such there is maybe a 25% chance of this actually happening.

boquense & Driftwood are probably going to act too cool for such an event and not show. In reality they will both be playing online and losing to 3 outers during this time so they have something to bitch about the next day.

Jigsaws 08-24-2007 07:15 PM

I'm arriving in BA this Sunday. I'm here for just a week or so, but I might be up for this poker game. I'm giving SpecT a call when I arrive anyway, so he might drag me in. We'll see. If there's no place left - soit.

TheMetetron 08-24-2007 07:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm arriving in BA this Sunday. I'm here for just a week or so, but I might be up for this poker game. I'm giving SpecT a call when I arrive anyway, so he might drag me in. We'll see. If there's no place left - soit.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you get in on Sunday, you can buy poker chips in the duty free shop at the airport. I'm sure if you do someone will pay you back.

HP 08-24-2007 08:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok so far the list of people playing on August 29, at a time yet to be completely settled, is as follows:

LuckyDevil (Myself)
sdplayerb
SpecT
Nordino
TheMetetron
RiverPlay
tomahawk

So thats 8 people. I could maybe fit in one more. Please let me know if anyones plans change, or if i have you on the list by mistake.

Again, we really need chips! If anyone has a set or knows where someone can buy some here, please post.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow jesus how many 2+2`s are in BsAs?

but yeah I`d like to get in on this game if there`s room. I dunno who`s who but I may have met a few of you guys last night, I`m Jim with the red hair

TheMetetron 08-24-2007 09:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

LuckyDevil (Myself)
sdplayerb
SpecT
Nordino
TheMetetron
RiverPlay
tomahawk

[/ QUOTE ]

wow jesus how many 2+2`s are in BsAs?

but yeah I`d like to get in on this game if there`s room. I dunno who`s who but I may have met a few of you guys last night, I`m Jim with the red hair

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I didn't realize there were this many people either. How many of you guys are actually living here for more than a month or two?

Jim, you only met me and SpecT (the other Aussie) last night. The other guys were 2+2ers but aren't attending this as far as I can tell.

Nordino 08-24-2007 09:10 PM

I will stay until December. It is possible that I will return after Christmas, but it depends on various things (money, studys, family, friends etc)

TheMetetron 08-24-2007 09:25 PM

Might I suggest we drink some of Argentina's finest Malbec. SpecT loves that [censored]. Real wine connoisseur that guy.

HP 08-24-2007 09:43 PM

oh hey quick Q: do they eat bacon here? I was just trying to shop for some but couldn't find any.

what's Spanish for bacon?

TheMetetron 08-24-2007 09:47 PM

Yes.

Panceta.

Also sometimes I've seen it called bacon in Spain; no idea if that is used here. Panceta will work here for sure.

sdplayerb 08-24-2007 10:23 PM

I was looking for bacon the other day too. I did see some at the grocery store. I think it was a Norte.

As for time still here, I am here for another two months (been here one so far), LuckyDevil for another five and Zack for at least another five.

TheMetetron 08-24-2007 10:38 PM

Wow so there will actually be a decent number of 2+2ers here until I leave in December. Cool. I'll be leaving Argentina in December (duh) for Australia but will be back next September/October for at least another 4 months.

HP 08-25-2007 02:20 PM

have you been skiing before Metetron? We were thinking of going at like Sept. 20, the question is though, how cold is it? Can we get by skiing with just like a sweater and a fleece?

and one more if you don't mind, you know where I can get a hair cut around here? The nearby mall had no barbers!

TheMetetron 08-25-2007 02:31 PM

Haven't been skiing here, but I want to go sometime in September as well. I think it might be a bit cold for that, but I can't say for sure.

There are tons of barbers everywhere. Find one of those little inset areas with like 20-30 stores off the street and there is usually a barber or two in there.

HP 08-25-2007 02:39 PM

ty Metetron

For anyone reading this thread that might know:

drugs? All kinds. PM me please, or AIM: LaHotPants

Already asked Metetron, he's too responsible

tomahawk 08-25-2007 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Might I suggest we drink some of Argentina's finest Malbec. SpecT loves that [censored]. Real wine connoisseur that guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seconded.

I'm here atleast til december too (hopefully longer)

SpecT 08-25-2007 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Seconded.

I'm here atleast til december too (hopefully longer)

[/ QUOTE ]

omg thirded...
i love that [censored]

HP 08-26-2007 06:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ty Metetron

For anyone reading this thread that might know:

drugs? All kinds. PM me please, or AIM: LaHotPants

Already asked Metetron, he's too responsible

[/ QUOTE ]
oh and uh, this was a question, not an offer btw