Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   If you got Ladanian Tomlinson and a few of his closest friends... (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=533183)

jaydub 10-29-2007 11:24 PM

Re: If you got Ladanian Tomlinson and a few of his closest friends...

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

cognito20 10-29-2007 11:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think i'm done with this debate for now dean. it's kinda boring when you are the only one who actually knows anything about _both_ the sports being discussed.

perhaps we can resume this discussion next year when australia and a population 1/15th the size of the usa proceeds to win half as many olympic medals as them.

yeti out

105,942 and counting

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. Australia has won more medals per capita than the United States in all of the last 11 Summer Olympic Games in which both competed, more medals per capita (10+ medals won minimum) than ANY nation in the last 4 Summer Olympics, and have won medals in each of the last 4 WINTER OLYMPICS (including 2 golds in 2006 and 1 gold in 2002), despite having nothing that we in the northern US or Canada would recognize as winter. In addition, there are currently 35 Australians playing professional baseball in the United States. FYI, in Australia, baseball is not taken at all seriously as a major sport...it's kind of comparable to soccer over here - it's a sport that has the reputation as something that kids play until a certain age, before they move on to the "real" sports. And still they have _35_ players playing professionally over here, in a sport they don't take seriously. Australia is also the home of perhaps the world's most cardiovascularly demanding sport, Australian Rules Football, basically (and this is a bit of a simplification, but not much) a legalized version of "kill the man with the ball", played on an oval about twice the length of an American football or soccer field, for 4 20-minute quarters. If you've ever seen AFL players, you might notice that they all have practically the same build - ripped marathon runners. Aussie Rules is an intensely physically demanding sport, surely as demanding in its own way as the NFL, with a little less emphasis on physical strength and a lot more emphasis on endurance and stamina.

I have to agree with yeti here...if you're judging on a POUND-FOR-POUND basis, the world's dominant sporting nation is NOT the United States. It is Australia. They are an international sporting power despite having only 7.3% of the US's population.

PartyGirlUK 10-29-2007 11:31 PM

Did u just see the NFL players try to tackle Selvin Young on MNF?? LOLZ!

Dr. Zoidberg 10-30-2007 12:04 AM

So who belongs on the NFL SUPER-TEAM?

Adrian Peterson
LaDainian Tomlinson
Steven Jackson
Ronnie Brown
Vince Young
Devin Hester
Brian Urlacher
Shawne Merriman
DeMarcus Ware
Mario Williams
Julius Peppers
Julian Peterson
Ed Reed
Adalius Thomas
Terrell Suggs

MyTurn2Raise 10-30-2007 12:14 AM

I actually think NHLers would have a better shot of competing in 6 months as it seems their sport has more of the stamina training that rugby requires

FUJItheFISH 10-30-2007 12:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Adrian Peterson
LaDainian Tomlinson
Steven Jackson
Ronnie Brown
Vince Young
Devin Hester
Brian Urlacher
Shawne Merriman
DeMarcus Ware
Mario Williams
Julius Peppers
Julian Peterson
Ed Reed
Adalius Thomas
Terrell Suggs

[/ QUOTE ]

tom brady for sure.

bottomset 10-30-2007 12:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I actually think NHLers would have a better shot of competing in 6 months as it seems their sport has more of the stamina training that rugby requires

[/ QUOTE ]

don't hockey players play 2minute shifts, with 3-4lines

J.R. 10-30-2007 12:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Adrian Peterson
LaDainian Tomlinson
Steven Jackson
Ronnie Brown
Vince Young
Devin Hester
Brian Urlacher
Shawne Merriman
DeMarcus Ware
Mario Williams
Julius Peppers
Julian Peterson
Ed Reed
Adalius Thomas
Terrell Suggs

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you'd need to field a team of basically safeties, corners, wrs and rbs.

The inclusion of lineman and linebackers is evidence of a huge misconception about how rugby is played.

MyTurn2Raise 10-30-2007 12:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

don't hockey players play 2minute shifts, with 3-4lines

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah...but it's much more endurance based than one would think while still having quite a bit of power and quick bursts

It's not the same as rugby, but I think it's a much closer training than the NFL

J.R. 10-30-2007 01:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i think i'm done with this debate for now dean. it's kinda boring when you are the only one who actually knows anything about _both_ the sports being discussed.

perhaps we can resume this discussion next year when australia and a population 1/15th the size of the usa proceeds to win half as many olympic medals as them.

yeti out

105,942 and counting

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. Australia has won more medals per capita than the United States in all of the last 11 Summer Olympic Games in which both competed, more medals per capita (10+ medals won minimum) than ANY nation in the last 4 Summer Olympics, and have won medals in each of the last 4 WINTER OLYMPICS (including 2 golds in 2006 and 1 gold in 2002), despite having nothing that we in the northern US or Canada would recognize as winter. In addition, there are currently 35 Australians playing professional baseball in the United States. FYI, in Australia, baseball is not taken at all seriously as a major sport...it's kind of comparable to soccer over here - it's a sport that has the reputation as something that kids play until a certain age, before they move on to the "real" sports. And still they have _35_ players playing professionally over here, in a sport they don't take seriously. Australia is also the home of perhaps the world's most cardiovascularly demanding sport, Australian Rules Football, basically (and this is a bit of a simplification, but not much) a legalized version of "kill the man with the ball", played on an oval about twice the length of an American football or soccer field, for 4 20-minute quarters. If you've ever seen AFL players, you might notice that they all have practically the same build - ripped marathon runners. Aussie Rules is an intensely physically demanding sport, surely as demanding in its own way as the NFL, with a little less emphasis on physical strength and a lot more emphasis on endurance and stamina.

I have to agree with yeti here...if you're judging on a POUND-FOR-POUND basis, the world's dominant sporting nation is NOT the United States. It is Australia. They are an international sporting power despite having only 7.3% of the US's population.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Olympics thing is a misleading point.

Aussies domi in swimming, providing over half of their summer and winter medals. Another 1/5th or so are in track and field. These are largely individual sports, where one athlete can and does dominate and bring medals in by himself. link

More than 1/10th of Australia's 301 Olympic medals were won by 4 swimmers, three with 8 and one with 9 medals. link

Contrast with America where the best athletes are, by and large, playing team sports, following the money. There is also no American football in the Olympics, so many of the best US athletes don't go to the Olympics (or wrt to Baseball/softball, haven't for long and won't after Beijing).

Australia may be more athletic, but the Olympics are a poor judge of that IMO.