Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   How do Americans view Europeans? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=527500)

guids 10-21-2007 08:38 PM

Re: How do Americans view Europeans?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I generally like Europeans. They seem to "get it" about the important stuff, like family and vacations and work/life balance. It's tough to generalize because of all the different countries but that's my overall sense.

I understand that you may be interested in the thoughts of Americans on this matter but I don't think you're going to get much out of it. Most Americans think about very little beyond food and tv. Plus, Americans are all so different. I'm a northern liberal. I like hockey and Democrats, I live in an urban apartment, shop at a natural foods co-op and so forth. I drive a German car. I have way, way more in common with your average European (at least, in the Western European countries) than I do with a huge numbers of Americans (maybe even most). For instance, people in the South. I have nothing in common with them. Nothing. Their accents are ridiculous, they're politically retarted and their insanely consumeristic and narrow minded.

I guess the thing I like best about Europeans is that they don't have huge political blocs in their country that are trying to roll them back to the 19th century.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is (hopefully), one of the best satirical posts on the internets.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking the same myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

That post crushed it. When i hear about bible belt, god fearing, ignorant, highly conservative Americans i just can't believe they get a vote in my country.

Nothern/liberal America vs Southern/conservative America is likely as different as any two European countries. I like learning about new cultures and seeing new countries, a lot of these people might never leave the country their whole life.

Unfortunately our geography tends to force a cultural ignorance upon us. Canada above us is a very similar country, and Mexico below us is only visited when people want to get drunk on a resort. Most others are an ocean away. I'm not saying that makes it OK for so many of us to be so clueless, but at least there's a reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

Trust me, they are thinking teh same thing about you, and the people like me, who understand how retardedly fanatical, stupid, false, and somewhat sad, the whole red state/blue state thing is on both sides of teh coin think it about the whole lot of you.

DING-DONG YO 10-21-2007 08:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Trust me, they are thinking teh same thing about you, and the people like me, who understand how retardedly fanatical, stupid, false, and somewhat sad, the whole red state/blue state thing is on both sides of teh coin think it about the whole lot of you.

[/ QUOTE ]

holy crap, quids for mod, QFT, v well said, sir.

Bond18 10-21-2007 09:29 PM

Guids,

I'm not saying they shouldn't get a vote. My point is more so i can't believe we're voting/are from the same country and get lumped together by Europeans as one and the same because of our elected leaders.

jokerthief 10-21-2007 09:40 PM

Highly liberal Americans want to get down on their knees and worship at your feet/suck you off.

Highly conservative Americans think you are all a bunch of lazy, communists ass holes.

The other 90% of Americans don't have a definitive opinion.

Klompy 10-21-2007 09:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Highly liberal Americans want to get down on their knees and worship at your feet/suck you off.

Highly conservative Americans think you are all a bunch of lazy, communists ass holes.

The other 90% of Americans don't have a definitive opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds about right, I like most of Europe afaik, although I've heard the French are pricks.

Jay Riall 10-21-2007 09:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This sounds about right, I like most of Europe afaik, although I've heard the French are pricks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the general consensus (still a stereotype, but a lot of people agree with this) is that French people are great in general, but the Parisians are a-holes/arrogant.

elmo 10-21-2007 09:55 PM

europeanguys

Klompy 10-21-2007 10:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the general consensus (still a stereotype, but a lot of people agree with this) is that French people are great in general, but the Parisians are a-holes/arrogant.

[/ QUOTE ]

This could very well be, I have nothing to base my view on as I've never been to europe. I think this is just the general view of random people around here. I don't think anybody here actually hates the french or anything, but they might avoid it on vacation out of not wanting to deal with them (assuming stereotypes are correct).

0wNeDUCY 10-21-2007 10:08 PM

We think you are much more sophisticated.

jokerthief 10-21-2007 10:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So it's analogous to Brits and Londoners, eh?