Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Smoked Meat (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=459895)

KotOD 08-21-2007 12:05 AM

Re: Smoked Meat

[ QUOTE ]
[censored], it's already raining so I'm hosed. I hope it doesn't cool my smoker down too much but I'll head out and check the temp as soon as it isn't pooring anymore.

edit to add: half the reason I don't want to go out right now is because my smoker is second hand and sorta old and I think there's a decent chance of it shorting out in the rain. I don't want to die.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're fine and it's not going to short unless the element housing is exposed.

nickg1532 08-21-2007 12:06 AM

I didn't read most of this thread, but a Montreal smoked meat sandwich from Schwartz's is one of the finest things I have ever eaten

Klompy 08-21-2007 12:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The power cord is cut open and exposed which is what I'm worried about. I put tape around it but that doesn't stop water.

KotOD 08-21-2007 12:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The power cord is cut open and exposed which is what I'm worried about. I put tape around it but that doesn't stop water.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you did a solid job with electrical tape, you're still okay - were the wires in the cord exposed or coated?

Just wire a new cord up when you dry out.

Klompy 08-21-2007 12:16 AM

I did a fairly good job with the electrical tape, but it started raining hard enough again that I'm fine with leaving it on for a while longer before I go check it. I will have to rewire it sometime I guess but for now I'm fine with letting it smoke longer and check it in 15 min or so.

Klompy 08-21-2007 12:53 AM

Looks like I'm going to have to fight the urge to go to sleep and stay up a while because I threw the thermo in and it's still at 150. Going to be a long night seeing as I bought a case of beer right when I bought the meat [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

KotOD 08-21-2007 12:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Looks like I'm going to have to fight the urge to go to sleep and stay up a while because I threw the thermo in and it's still at 150. Going to be a long night seeing as I bought a case of beer right when I bought the meat [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]

How long has it been at 160?

Klompy 08-21-2007 12:59 AM

KotOD,

The thing popped (which is supposed to be 150) about an hour or so ago. I just stuck my thermo in the middle, and it said 150 which means I'm going to let it go a while longer. I think the rain prob did some damage to the heating, but it's done now I hope (raining that is).

Klompy 08-21-2007 02:39 AM

Trip report,

Still drizzling outside and the meet is still at 150....... Moral of the story is don't try and smoke meet when there's a chance of rain. My water pan did dry out though which might have hurt the heating, I just put new wood and water in so I should have full heat again here soon. 8 hours in and I'm still not done though, I'm jealous of my roomate who just smoked ribs tonight.

slamdunkpro 08-21-2007 09:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What temp is best for the finished temp on a pork shoulder?

[/ QUOTE ]

I pull mine at 190, double wrap in foil and rest for an hour in a cooler.