Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Official NHL 2006-07 Regular Season Thread (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=227669)

vin17 10-14-2006 12:26 AM

Re: Official NHL 2006-07 Regular Season Thread

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Any Leaf fans here?

Represent.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should have asked before Aubin imploded .

But, yes. Pudge too.

[/ QUOTE ]
FYP

Yet another reason to dislike JFJ...

bluef0x 10-15-2006 12:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's OK guys, you can give up now. The Sharks WILL win the cup this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im suprised that no one has mentioned the Sharks. Youngest, Heaviest, and 4 tallest team in the NHL. Has 2 superstars and 2 no 1 goalies. After watching them play the first three games they have clearly been the better team. Their speed is going to mean a lot of penalties, and Thorton is scary on the PP.

[/ QUOTE ]

2 of a good thing is not better than 1 when that thing is an NHL netminder.

[/ QUOTE ]

Riiiiiiiiiiiight... because the Sens and Preds loved having only one true starter last year in the playoffs. Who wants to start Nabokov or Toskala when they have youngster Emery or the 30-year-old-AHLer Mason?

I'd be willing to bet both of those teams would rather have Nabby/Toskala as a back up over Emery/Mason. Plus, having 2 #1's means you can trade 1 without destroying your team.

Look at Buffalo, they didn't throw away Biron just because they found Miller. Same with Anaheim... they kept Bryz.

[/ QUOTE ]

Having 2 number one goalies is an unnecessary luxury, especially in the salary cap era. Both San Jose and Anaheim would love to ditch their high priced backup/starters. The Sabres should too - they made a giant mistake keeping Martin Biron. No one wants Martin Biron at that price so he's stuck on the Sabres' roster all year - by the time he does become valuable at the trade deadline, the Sabres may as well retain him.

You don't ask if they would rather have Toskala or Biron or Bryzgalov over Emery or Mason - you ask if they would rather have Nabokov or Paul Kariya, or Gigeure or Dany Heatley. Having one excellent starter is always preferable to having 2 solid guys - now it's even more true with the salary cap.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's all about fair trade. A backup goalie is MUCH more important to a cup-contending team than what is being offered on the market right now. Toskala makes a low amount of $$, it's not a difference between Paul Kariya (who I wouldn't welcome back to the Sharks [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]) or Toskala.

2 solid starters > 1 starter and nothing by letting a guy go when he can be had for under 2m a year. Having 2 goalies IS a luxury. Especially when the reason you usually end up having 2 goalies is because you drafted one of em and he's still an RFA signed for cheap.

Toskala @ 1.4m > Grier @ 1.75m, Kesler @ 1.9m, etc.
Just getting rid of salary doesn't gurantee you a supertsar.

Triumph36 10-15-2006 12:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Im suprised that no one has mentioned the Sharks. Youngest, Heaviest, and 4 tallest team in the NHL. Has 2 superstars and 2 no 1 goalies. After watching them play the first three games they have clearly been the better team. Their speed is going to mean a lot of penalties, and Thorton is scary on the PP.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Riiiiiiiiiiiight... because the Sens and Preds loved having only one true starter last year in the playoffs. Who wants to start Nabokov or Toskala when they have youngster Emery or the 30-year-old-AHLer Mason?

I'd be willing to bet both of those teams would rather have Nabby/Toskala as a back up over Emery/Mason. Plus, having 2 #1's means you can trade 1 without destroying your team.

Look at Buffalo, they didn't throw away Biron just because they found Miller. Same with Anaheim... they kept Bryz.

[/ QUOTE ]

Having 2 number one goalies is an unnecessary luxury, especially in the salary cap era. Both San Jose and Anaheim would love to ditch their high priced backup/starters. The Sabres should too - they made a giant mistake keeping Martin Biron. No one wants Martin Biron at that price so he's stuck on the Sabres' roster all year - by the time he does become valuable at the trade deadline, the Sabres may as well retain him.

You don't ask if they would rather have Toskala or Biron or Bryzgalov over Emery or Mason - you ask if they would rather have Nabokov or Paul Kariya, or Gigeure or Dany Heatley. Having one excellent starter is always preferable to having 2 solid guys - now it's even more true with the salary cap.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's all about fair trade. A backup goalie is MUCH more important to a cup-contending team than what is being offered on the market right now. Toskala makes a low amount of $$, it's not a difference between Paul Kariya (who I wouldn't welcome back to the Sharks [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]) or Toskala.

2 solid starters > 1 starter and nothing by letting a guy go when he can be had for under 2m a year. Having 2 goalies IS a luxury. Especially when the reason you usually end up having 2 goalies is because you drafted one of em and he's still an RFA signed for cheap.

[/ QUOTE ]

It does if you're able to pull it off before the UFA signing period starts. Obviously in-season it's different, and these clubs probably should stick with their current setup now - but it's not anywhere near an optimal setup. This is why the Sabres should've let Biron go.

bluef0x 10-16-2006 12:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It does if you're able to pull it off before the UFA signing period starts. Obviously in-season it's different, and these clubs probably should stick with their current setup now - but it's not anywhere near an optimal setup. This is why the Sabres should've let Biron go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course @ $2.1m or whatever you said. Was he a RFA? If so, the Sabres are insane to offer that... was that the QO?

But Toskala and Bryz near 1m is a steal. You aren't getting any quality forwards for $1m... not to mention it's not even a million you are freeing up when you have to call up your backup who costs at LEAST $450,000.

Triumph36 10-16-2006 12:35 AM

If Bryz or Toskala at 1M is a huge steal, Nabokov and Gigeure are huge liabilities. You don't seem to be understanding this - considering the 'backups' aren't much worse or better than the 'starters', the teams are probably better off without the 'starters'. No, obviously you can't get a forward for $1M - but you can get a forward for $4.5M. And that's in addition to whatever assets you might collect (albeit paltry) for dealing the goalie. I'm not surprised neither of those guys moved, but I still think both teams might be much stronger without them and with an FA instead. There may not have been a market.

Yes, that was the QO - Biron was an RFA.

DocMartin 10-16-2006 02:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Any Leaf fans here?

Represent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice 500th for Sundin. Overtime Hat trick on HNIC.

bluef0x 10-16-2006 03:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If Bryz or Toskala at 1M is a huge steal, Nabokov and Gigeure are huge liabilities. You don't seem to be understanding this - considering the 'backups' aren't much worse or better than the 'starters', the teams are probably better off without the 'starters'. No, obviously you can't get a forward for $1M - but you can get a forward for $4.5M. And that's in addition to whatever assets you might collect (albeit paltry) for dealing the goalie. I'm not surprised neither of those guys moved, but I still think both teams might be much stronger without them and with an FA instead. There may not have been a market.

Yes, that was the QO - Biron was an RFA.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, both teams would be better with a 4.5m forward (Ducks) or d-man (Sharks).. but they can't get them at this point in the season. We'll see how the deals go... I'm surprised teams like are still handing out huge deals to goalies when they have been so random as of late.

His QO was 2.1m? Jeez... I'm guessing they gave him a huge raise as his first extension instead of just a QO? The thing

I don't like about the new CBA is the younger UFA age/exp. With the Sharks' drafting being so great, I want these kids forever!

Triumph36 10-16-2006 03:43 AM

Biron was a starter and a good one before Miller came around. I think under the new CBA you might be able to offer a QO under the salary a player received for the previous season, but not much under.

The Sharks wouldn't be able to keep this team together under the old system either. It's inevitable that some of them have to be traded for salary concerns - playing time issues. A younger UFA age doesn't have very much to do with it - while UFAs got paid more back under the old system, players who were arbitration-eligible still got paid close to or at market value.

inferno 10-16-2006 04:50 PM

Am playing nhl07 on pc atm, would love to see a live hocky game anybody know where I could dll/stream watch it? Never really watched it since its not on tv here. I really like calgary flames and colorado avalance in the game.

CrazyPsycho 10-16-2006 04:56 PM

Yahoo usually shows a game every night as long as you are in the US. Go to their scoreboard and look for the watch live link. Also download TVUplayer and use the NHL channel around game times, they usually show a game every night as well.