Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Fatties. My money where your mouth is. (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=108807)

nath 05-10-2006 05:11 AM

Re: Fatties. My money where your mouth is.

[ QUOTE ]
Good luck guys. I went through the same [censored] earlier. It'll suck at times, but it's worth it in the end.

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/9...ison3yh8wa.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

This would be much more enjoyable for me, the reader, if your skinny pic was also you [censored]-housed at a party.

xwillience 05-10-2006 05:31 AM

SoCalRugger - congrats, thats big change. Is it much better being skinny than fat? Always wondered this...

Hack 05-10-2006 08:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]

i would love to see some kind of tax or subsidy that would make it cheaper to buy soup, a salad or fruit than to buy a big mac.

i would also like to see restaurant food come in smaller portions, or come with a doggy bag already prepared, instead of encouraging us to eat 2-4 times a normal meal at one sitting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you dare try to blame the obesity epidemic on restaurants and/or a lack of taxes. If people want to lose weight that's fine but the first step is acknowledging their personal responsibility for their own situation.

Hoi Polloi 05-10-2006 09:58 AM

I recently read that Americans will spend >$30 billion this year to loose a total (not per capita) of 13 pounds. That's, >$2.31Bn per pound.

Bison, you clearly know how to get the most for your money.

I'm in for $0.25 per bison-approved pound, 'cuz as it says over there on the left, I'm trying to help for a change.

NH, Peter.

<edit>Good luck to the competitors.</edit>

MrWookie 05-10-2006 10:08 AM

Wow. Congrats dude. I'd seen the before, and in the after, you look like a completely different guy. Way to go.

buriedbeds 05-10-2006 10:19 AM

For all those who don't have scales adequate for their needs, this is the one to get, imo:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001DB...e&n=3760901

It's remarkably accurate and will weigh up to 440 lbs. It's better than most if you weigh over probably 280, as a lot of scales seem to get more and more innaccurate as you reach towards the higher end of their weight capacities.

Good luck to all; it's the best thing you'll ever do. Keep in mind, though, that you will fail in the long run if you look at this as a "diet" - i.e. something that has an end. A temporary change to your diet to lose some weight won't help you. If you're in the category that those who qualify for this are, you need a permanent lifestyle change that includes looking at why you eat, not just what you eat. It's very, very hard - harder than people who have never been there know. Do it for yourself, not the $$.

But take the money. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Good luck!

-bb.

Dids 05-10-2006 10:42 AM

beds,

Thanks for that link.

This thread does mean a lot to me. Not so much for the money, which isn't ignorable, in part because I've been not doing something that in theory makes me money in the name of working out, but also because it's nice to have people like bison and others share that they care about me.

MaxPower 05-10-2006 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My dad was obese for my entire life. He bore a very strong resemblance to Roger Ebert, without the all-consuming lust for ti[/i]ts. So I know from fat. And many of you are fat. Many of you are fatter than that, and you're supposed to be in the prime of your goddamn lives.

You think you're gonna have the energy to lose weight when you're 50? When you have kids and a mortgage and a wife who loves you twice as much as you love her? No. I say this with all sympathy and love, cause I loved my dad: NOW is the time to get thin.

So, in an attempt to do something about this, I will sponsor 5 fatties for the rest of 2006. Dids is one of them, and I'll set aside slots for other people I've publicly called fat, including Gamble and Tony P. Otherwise, feel free to try to convince me to sponsor you.

For the first hundred pounds you lose from now to January 1, 2007, I will pay you a dollar a pound. For the next two hundred, I will pay you 50 cents on the pound. After that, you're out of luck, but you're also out of the 'morbidly obese' demographic.

Documentation? Take a torso+head picture of yourself now, then take a picture of you on a scale so we can establish the baseline. Post both and your current weight in this thread.

The method of verifying weight loss may change over the course of the year at my discretion, but we'll start on the honor code. No payment will be made until January of next year.

If anyone wants to join the sponsoring, post.

Volunteers begin your chewing.

Edit: if you're willing to wait til may to get paid you can also opt for an entire year to get my money

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll match your action on Did's first 100.

scrub

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking the same thing and then I saw your post. I will do the same for Dids. Never met him, but I'd like to see him succeed..

buriedbeds 05-10-2006 11:19 AM

No problem; I wish someone had given me the same link when I first started losing weight.

Also, I looked at your blog a little bit and I noticed a lot of familiar things. If I were you, I'd buy that scale asap and start weighing yourself regularly. One thing that Poker taught me that my previous life experience hadn't is to objectively and realistically assess your situation, and constantly re-evaluate it without making excuses. Learning to act on what is real rather than what you wish to be real is really, really, really, really hard, and weighing yourself (and contemplating what the number on the scale means in real terms) is the first step in doing that. I'm still losing weight, and it's been this different mindset that has given me the sucess I've had this time - which I never had before.

To give you an idea, I hadn't weighed myself for literally at least 15 years before I started losing weight. I hadn't had bloodwork done in at least 8 years. I didn't want to know about it, I didn't want to think about it - I just felt hopeless. I hoped that if I ignored it it would go away, while it was just getting worse and worse. I had to learn to stop making excuses for myself and face the facts. Which, incidentally, were *more* dire in my case than yours. It also gave me numbers that I could work against. Being a competitive person, I could now "compete" against my old numbers and try to improve them. Like trying to beat your high score on Tetris... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Also, I recommend going to Body Worlds for anyone if it comes to a town near you. It gives you a much better appreciation for the body as a machine.

http://www.bodyworlds.com/en/pages/home.asp

And of course we care about you, Dids!

Good luck again (to those in and out of the "contest")-

-bb.

MaxPower 05-10-2006 11:22 AM

Re: MY CONTRIBUTION

Dids,

Weight Watchers is an excellent program. I lost 40 pounds on it and it is not difficult to follow. I didn't go to any meetings. They have a online program that works well.

If you end up doing the flex plan, I can recommend some foods that will help.

The good thing about Weight Watchers is that it teaches you a reasonable way to eat which can be kept up even when you are done with it.