Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Would you save 10 million people? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=213999)

george w 09-18-2006 10:22 PM

Re: Would you save 10 million people?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
also, if you are so willing to sacrifice your life to save these people, why don't you leave home right now, head to africa and devote your life to working with and healing poor folks in africa, or at the very least why don't you liquidate your whole net worth and donate it?

[/ QUOTE ]

it wouldn't be anywhere near as effective. random people with compassionate attitudes, while good, aren't what africa needs. liquidating your whole net would do more good for you than anyone else unless you are really old and rich.

[/ QUOTE ]

define 'effective'. Also, tell us why you are knowledgeable on the subject of charity work in Africa

[/ QUOTE ]

producing or capable of producing an intended result or having a striking effect. define 'knowledgeable'

seriously though, i don't really know what i'm talking about regarding africa. but if i hopped on a plane to africa tomorrow i imagine i would just end up hungry and not help anyone much less save the lives of 10 milltion people.

HP 09-18-2006 10:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The "reason" to give up your life is simple utilitarianism, the greatest good for the greatest number.

[/ QUOTE ]

how much do you spend on entertainment for yourself or others every year? I'm curious

ScottyP431 09-18-2006 10:25 PM

HP,

Since you reading comprehension is apparently bad, may I refer you to this part of my post

"I think this question is stupid, and don't really have an opinion either way, but wanted to comment on your posts."

And also to me putting reason in quotes.

I clearly did not say I live my life by this standard, nor did I make any aggrandizing moralistic claims.

Thanks for playing.

p.s. I spend a lot.

HP 09-18-2006 10:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
seriously though, i don't really know what i'm talking about regarding africa. but if i hopped on a plane to africa tomorrow i imagine i would just end up hungry and not help anyone much less save the lives of 10 milltion people.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok fair enough, but let's talk about spending the absolute minimum on yourself and donating the rest to charity. Minimum meaning just enough to keep yourself making the most money you can. Who does that?

HP 09-18-2006 10:29 PM

ok I shouldn't have assumed you held the utiliterian belief, but my point was, if one does hold this belief, they should be working their balls of their whole life and give everything they can to charity

daryn 09-18-2006 10:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The "reason" to give up your life is simple utilitarianism, the greatest good for the greatest number. It's really not that complicated, you should be able to rap your mind around it. Whether you know the people or not would not be a factor in that system of decision making. It has a clear set of logical rules.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok, so are you saying you would sacrifice your life to save 100 trillion alien lives scattered across the universe?

[ QUOTE ]
If you have no regard for people you don't know, why don't you kill many of them for profit? The flip side of your " go to africa and help people" question is, if you don't care, why don't you kill/exploit others for your own gain.

[/ QUOTE ]

i never stated i have no regard for people i don't know. i'm just saying i would not sacrifice myself to save 10,000 humans that i don't know and have never or will never see or hear from. why don't i kill people for profit? i don't believe i have the right to take any person's life, that was pretty easy to answer.

i have defended my position very thoroughly. i just thought to myself, as zee did, how can i be called immoral and selfish for not giving my life up when many people choose not to give simple paper money and are not chastised?

i doubt the world would be better off without me.

daryn 09-18-2006 10:31 PM

hp i was not replying to your post i was just using quick reply.. obviously i agree with you in some/most respects

george w 09-18-2006 10:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ok fair enough, but let's talk about spending the absolute minimum on yourself and donating the rest to charity. Minimum meaning just enough to keep yourself making the most money you can. Who does that?

[/ QUOTE ]

to what end? money isn't everything and ascetism probably isn't the way to enlightenment. if you aren't spending money you're sitting at home doing what?

HP 09-18-2006 10:43 PM

I think money is a LOT. Money can prevent death, pretty big IMO

enlightenment is great and everything IMO, but I'm not confident enough that it's worth sacrificing other's lives for. I'd prefer to first prevent easily preventable deaths

[ QUOTE ]
if you aren't spending money you're sitting at home doing what?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Is this a personal question or a question about what the meaning of life is for everyone?

ScottyP431 09-18-2006 10:47 PM

Daryn,

If the choice is presented to you, your life or X others lifes, how are you not taking others lifes when you chose to live? Because you are not doing the actual killing?

Also, I dont doubt that you dont think the world would be worse off without you...