Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Brick and Mortar (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   The Worst Strategy You've Overheard at a Table (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=390942)

the machine 11-10-2007 02:57 PM

Re: The Worst Strategy You\'ve Overheard at a Table

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also, if it is a "coinflip", "race", or "50/50" situation, that is if someone has outs, then they mustn't fold their hand, LDO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ain't this the truth. Last Saturday for instance: battle of the blinds, late in a tourney. I call in SB, BB checks. Flop is 3 hearts, not connected; I check with two black overs, BB checks. Turn is a black 3, I go all in and we've got similar chipstacks. Old WW2 vet thinks about it and thinks about it then finally calls with a 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. River pairs one of my cards... but gives him the flush. "I knew that heart was gonna come".

[/ QUOTE ]

he just read your soul and knew his pair was good.

Cactus Jack 11-10-2007 08:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think people are considering two different types of jackpots.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why'd you have to ruin the fun? I wanted to see how long it was going to take people to realize this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not that long. I said "Red Rock" which means bad beat, not high hand. Second, I said "check behind." Who in their right mind is going to fold a jackpot hand on the river for one bet?

Show's over. Move along. Nothing to see here.

CJ

Iconoclastic 11-16-2007 01:50 PM

I've myself said some pretty idiotic things back when I was just learning the rules of poker. I remember I once told my friend that I thought AKs was better than AA cuz it can make more nut flushes and straights.

redfisher 11-17-2007 06:22 AM

River action on a 7895A board with no flush possible. First to act goes all-in, next guy calls with money behind, button calls with money behind.
First guy shows 2 pair, next guy shows a 6 for the straight, button flips up TJ for the immortal nuts. When asked why she didn't raise, she states "He wouldn't call."

MrBrightside 11-17-2007 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Was at a 1-2 nl game at T.I. a month ago and was in a hand with a pretty tight player. He bets half the pot, I call with nut flush and gutshot draw. Turn is a blank, he pushes about 1.5 of the pot, I flash my cards (frustration at the night of futility I was enjoying) and muck.

lol...you crackhead... you are only 20% to flush out on the river

Guy next to me says "good fold, you had about a 20% chance of making the flush" I say "I think it is closer to 25% but whatever" "no, no" he says "I read it in several books, with one card to go you only have 20%" I say "well, there are 4 suits, right? and 1/4 is 25% right??!!!" "Well, yes, I don't know the exact math behind it, but this has been proven by simulations and these are facts from people like Doyle Brunson" To this day I don't know if he was trying to put on the dumb guy act which I do sometimes or if he really believed it. He kept spouting facts and figures the whole night, but he never made money nor did he bust out so I don't know.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ummm, you are leveling right? If not, he was right, you were wrong. There are 9 outs (not 13.. there are four of your suit gone) with 46 cards remaining. It's actually LESS than 20%, it's about 19.5%.

steamraise 11-17-2007 03:24 PM

Showdown, player shows AQ for TPTK.

Other player lectures first player saying he's lost so much
with AQ it's taken him 30 years to learn to fold AQ before the flop.
Then he shows his KQ loser.

steamraise 11-17-2007 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
button flips up TJ for the immortal nuts. When asked why she didn't raise, she states "He wouldn't call."

[/ QUOTE ]

Even better, last action smooth call with the nuts and say,
"I was afraid of getting check raised".

AlienBoy 11-17-2007 05:22 PM

From some 50 something lady at the Commerce 4/8

After I raised preflop with AK, hit TPTK, then was sucked out by a retard:

"that's what you get for raising preflop with a drawing hand".

????

I try to sit at her table whenever she's around now.

AB

Spiffysean 11-18-2007 08:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"What could I do? I was pot committed!"

[/ QUOTE ]

I know, I hear that too. Man, I love TV poker. Has made some great poker players! (to play against)

I heard the same line from a guy heads up (final 2) in a home tournament. He called an all in bet on the turn with 4 high, no pair no draw no potential for a split pot with a strong hand on the board. His reasoning? He was "pot committed".

[/ QUOTE ]

How does someone get pot committed pre flop with either 4-3 or 4-2? Unless his M (for you Harrington readers) was like, 2... that's probably in itself the worst strat. ever.

gobboboy 11-18-2007 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know, I hear that too. Man, I love TV poker. Has made some great poker players! (to play against)

I heard the same line from a guy heads up (final 2) in a home tournament. He called an all in bet on the turn with 4 high, no pair no draw no potential for a split pot with a strong hand on the board. His reasoning? He was "pot committed".

[/ QUOTE ]

How does someone get pot committed pre flop with either 4-3 or 4-2? Unless his M (for you Harrington readers) was like, 2... that's probably in itself the worst strat. ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well he wasn't committed before the turn, duh. He was playin poker!

TakenItEasy 11-18-2007 02:22 PM

Many years ago playing 7 card stud in Vegas, a player complained bitterly about my play saying "He cheats, he only plays good cards and folds bad cards"

Of course I stuck around well into the morning when I folded once again and he turns irate and folds wired aces face up simply because I wasn't in the hand. The morning crowd who weren't around for the earlier exchange all had mouths gapping in astonished confusion.

TakenItEasy 11-18-2007 03:22 PM

Two more stud stories, sorry. These were all pre poker boom so better ignorance floating around.

I raise with split jacks and a super tight older lady reraises with a queen in the door. I fold showing the jacks and she shows the queens. A man at the table angrily said, how can you fold, you have to play for the bad beat jackpot!

Not really a strategy story but a kid at the table has his hands covering his up cards. An old lady involved in the pot says, "I cant see your cards" to which he replies, "Why the hell do you want to see my cards"

AlienBoy 11-19-2007 09:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOLz - I heard this from a girl the other day...

"I had to call down, I was pot committed"

In a LIMIT game. (and she had a full rack in front of her) LOLZ!!!!

AB

tagWAG 11-19-2007 10:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]

AB

[/ QUOTE ]

Err, I don't think you understand pot commitment in a LIMIT game. She may well have been pot committed. *Clue* stack size isn't the issue in limit.

LOLOLOLZ

lamboruns 11-19-2007 10:12 AM

I called (10bb in NLH) cause i had 2 shots at flopping quads!

tomdemaine 11-19-2007 10:50 AM

Great thread. I've got one where I'm not sure who's play was worse.

£1/£2 NL A few people limp to crazy drunken fish. CDF pushes for ~£200 and flips over 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] saying "I hate low pockets just get out of my way." fold fold fold to one of the limper who calls!

Limper turns over K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] doesn't improve and CDF takes down ~£400 pot. Limper when asked why he called relpies "well he's just been playing so badly all night it's annoying me so I wanted to try and bust him."

I sit back, smile and thank god for donks.

czyivn 11-19-2007 11:05 AM

I once had a guy crack my flopped straight with a rivered flush. Afterwards, he told me that he knew he would make it because "a flush is the most common hand in hold'em".

Black Aces 518 11-19-2007 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

£1/£2 NL A few people limp to crazy drunken fish. CDF pushes for ~£200 and flips over 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] saying "I hate low pockets just get out of my way." fold fold fold to one of the limper who calls!

Limper turns over K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] doesn't improve and CDF takes down ~£400 pot. Limper when asked why he called relpies "well he's just been playing so badly all night it's annoying me so I wanted to try and bust him."

[/ QUOTE ]

uh. assuming the pot is 207 and he has to call 198 more, he needs 48.88% equity and he has 48.5% equity. The worst strategy you've EVER heard is assigning .38% equity value to spite? Now if he called with A2 or 33 or something, OK, but wow. Plus, you have to know that even if you lose, the CDF will probably spew off the money again anyway.

jeffnc 11-19-2007 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
button flips up TJ for the immortal nuts. When asked why she didn't raise, she states "He wouldn't call."

[/ QUOTE ]

Even better, last action smooth call with the nuts and say,
"I was afraid of getting check raised".

[/ QUOTE ]

That doesn't even make sense.

Ricky_Bobby 11-19-2007 10:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

uh. assuming the pot is 207 and he has to call 198 more, he needs 48.88% equity and he has 48.5% equity. The worst strategy you've EVER heard is assigning .38% equity value to spite? Now if he called with A2 or 33 or something, OK, but wow. Plus, you have to know that even if you lose, the CDF will probably spew off the money again anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he's trying to say it's bad strategy to want to bust someone who plays bad? I mean, I've seen people online congratulate themselves on busting a total idiot and act like they were glad that someone that bad wasn't messing up their serious game anymore. Could be wrong though.

Spiffysean 11-19-2007 11:36 PM

I love poker...

I'm debating starting a new thread for bad internet chat-box logic. Dear God, I've heard horrible stuff from players to justify fish-like behavior.

For instance, I just cracked out of a tourney with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and a board of 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] SB fires out for 100 (blinds are 25/50) and I smooth call with my trips/top kicker.

Turn comes 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and he ships it all in. I call with my monster, and the villian rolls over 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] And of course, since I'm playing on Pokerstars... The River comes J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], and I throw up on my laptop.

I got the immortal "Dude, I flopped a monster draw, and I knew I was going to get there"

Ricky_Bobby 11-20-2007 12:21 AM

Surprised you didn't get the, "That's what you get for slowplaying, donk."

Spiffysean 11-20-2007 12:38 AM

Hahaha, yeah, that would have worked too... I was setting up for the Check-Raise on the turn, but the fish couldn't get his money in fast enough... I suck at the poker.

Waylander11 11-20-2007 01:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've myself said some pretty idiotic things back when I was just learning the rules of poker. I remember I once told my friend that I thought AKs was better than AA cuz it can make more nut flushes and straights.

[/ QUOTE ]

Brunson also said this in supersystem, but for different reasons

Black Aces 518 11-20-2007 01:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hahaha, yeah, that would have worked too... I was setting up for the Check-Raise on the turn, but the fish couldn't get his money in fast enough... I suck at the poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

if your plan was to c/r the SB then yes you do. that plan has a 100% fail rate.

Waylander11 11-20-2007 01:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he's trying to say it's bad strategy to want to bust someone who plays bad? I mean, I've seen people online congratulate themselves on busting a total idiot and act like they were glad that someone that bad wasn't messing up their serious game anymore. Could be wrong though.

[/ QUOTE ]
What he's saying is why give a donk a 50% chance to beat you if you know you can get it in with him close to drawing dead. Going all in preflop with against a guy who sucks knowing its a flip is taking away any edge you might have over him.

Black Aces 518 11-20-2007 01:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
What he's saying is why give a donk a 50% chance to beat you if you know you can get it in with him close to drawing dead. Going all in preflop with against a guy who sucks knowing its a flip is taking away any edge you might have over him.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, the next time he shoves and shows 55, someone may have 66, and then there he goes anyway. by calling the k9s, you have an =EV gamble, and if he wins, he still has money, if you win, you get all of his money right now. I mean, I wouldn't laugh at someone for folding the K9s, but I wouldn't think 'wow donkey' for calling either.

KamiKatze 11-20-2007 10:38 AM

You rather have 78s than JJ when all in, because if you face a pocket pair higher than yours the 78s crushes the JJ in winning probability.

78h 22,63% vs. KcKd
JhJd 18,47% vs. KcKd

CigarMike 11-20-2007 11:38 AM

Listening to a guy who claims he is risking his rent money to try and build a roll.

AlienBoy 11-20-2007 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

AB

[/ QUOTE ]

Err, I don't think you understand pot commitment in a LIMIT game. She may well have been pot committed. *Clue* stack size isn't the issue in limit.

LOLOLOLZ

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no such thing as "pot committed" in a limit game. You either have odds to call, or you don't.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLZ

jeffnc 11-20-2007 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[There is no such thing as "pot committed" in a limit game. You either have odds to call, or you don't.

[/ QUOTE ]

The same is true for NL cash games (and we are not talking about tournaments here).