Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Heads Up Poker (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   ***** November LC Thread ***** (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=535805)

PureDiesel 11-10-2007 10:10 AM

Re: ***** November LC Thread *****

I notice for n-th time, that I don't want to sit down and grind. Poker kinda annoyed me at this point. It did happen before several times for 1.5 years. But right now, I just puke, when i sit down at HU table. And 6max i don't even feel getting in. Maybe to try out MTT's? But my goal is only profit, so I don't see point in playing MTTs.
To take a break from poker? Well, I don't know. I would, but I want to achieve my next goal, to move up to NL100 HU. Dilemma - I want to achieve goal, I have perfect time for poker right now, but I almost puke when I grind for 10 minutes. Kinda desperate right now. Any advise, pls?

PartysOver 11-10-2007 10:29 AM

just take a break

even if it's 12 hours... it'll help a lot

PureDiesel 11-10-2007 12:25 PM

tx for advise, but I've tried it - doesn't work. Kinda stuck in thinking how to fix this "leak"

Indiana 11-10-2007 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
guys i got a question, never been involved in any staking deals before..

I had to withdraw everything a while ago and now a friend is offering to stake me so that i can play HU SNGS.

Anyone know how deals like this are "done" ?

A couple of questions that i can think off right now...

1) what percentage should i keep and should he get from winnings?
2) If i were to have a huge downswing and lose it all, am i responsible to pay the money back ?
3) when does the deal end? If i keep winning and move up does he still get the same % ... etc...

Id appreciate some help thx..

[/ QUOTE ]

if he's fronting all the cash, the customary chop is 50-50 on profits and obviously you dont pay him back if u get busto. My staking deal is kinda different because cwar gets a cut of profits for his time coaching me 3 hrs/week.

Indy

ChicagoRy 11-10-2007 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
guys i got a question, never been involved in any staking deals before..

I had to withdraw everything a while ago and now a friend is offering to stake me so that i can play HU SNGS.

Anyone know how deals like this are "done" ?

A couple of questions that i can think off right now...

1) what percentage should i keep and should he get from winnings?
2) If i were to have a huge downswing and lose it all, am i responsible to pay the money back ?
3) when does the deal end? If i keep winning and move up does he still get the same % ... etc...

Id appreciate some help thx..

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd do a 50-50 split of profits. If you're starting at the 5s or something maybe you have to make 600 or something before you have a right to your half or something (just an idea) that way you don't make enough to play the 10s and then jet.

Anyways, if this is a friend just make sure you both understand the full terms, that it is crystal clear. Even write them down or something so there's no qualms later on. But keep the whole thing as casual as possible, there's nothing worse than losing a friendship over one of you being an idiot about a few hundred dollars.

Fliff 11-10-2007 04:18 PM

Finally the $33's

daveT 11-10-2007 04:22 PM

^ always comes with a huge downswong.

daveT 11-10-2007 05:39 PM

BRAG!!!!!!!

I played 4 Satellites to the Sunday Tourney and won 2 of them.

Deewhizzle 11-10-2007 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So I got myself stuck like $200 and for some reason this put me on life tilt. I couldnt play any no limit because the thought made me want to cry and hug my knees in the corner, sooo I sat down and started playing $2/$4 and $3/$6 HU razz, 4 hours later Im +$600, time to get drunk.

[/ QUOTE ]
its funny i do the same thing<while at substanually lower stakes.
after i took about a $2500 loss live at Seneca, i went back to the hotel and played PLO/8& razz and 4 hours later im + $1k

Indiana 11-10-2007 09:38 PM

lol at life tilt over 200 bucks...i lose 1K within just about every week i play at some point during the week. of course im always up at the end of the week because i am teh pwn but that s obv.

MasterLJ 11-10-2007 09:49 PM

I got my soul read... seriously WTF at this hand? This was the first time I played back at villain who 3bet me like absolute crazy!

Full Tilt Poker, $1/$2 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 2 Players
LeggoPoker Hand History Converter

Hero (SB): $240.50
BB: $220.50

Pre-Flop: Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (SB)
<font color="red">Hero raises to $6</font>, <font color="red">BB raises to $21</font>, Hero calls $15

Flop: ($42) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">BB bets $35</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $219.50 and is All-In</font>, BB calls $164.50 and is All-In

Turn: ($441) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players - 1 is All-In)

River: ($441) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players - 1 is All-In)

Results: $441 Pot ($0.50 Rake)
Hero showed Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (King Queen high) and LOST (-$220.50 NET)
BB showed 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (a pair of Nines) and WON $440.50 (+$220 NET)

Indiana 11-10-2007 09:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I notice for n-th time, that I don't want to sit down and grind. Poker kinda annoyed me at this point. It did happen before several times for 1.5 years. But right now, I just puke, when i sit down at HU table. And 6max i don't even feel getting in. Maybe to try out MTT's? But my goal is only profit, so I don't see point in playing MTTs.
To take a break from poker? Well, I don't know. I would, but I want to achieve my next goal, to move up to NL100 HU. Dilemma - I want to achieve goal, I have perfect time for poker right now, but I almost puke when I grind for 10 minutes. Kinda desperate right now. Any advise, pls?

[/ QUOTE ]

i vote purediesel the funniest poster in 2+2 history.

Indy

HokieGreg 11-10-2007 11:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i vote purediesel the funniest poster in 2+2 history.

Indy

[/ QUOTE ]

I second that

Somekid 11-11-2007 02:03 AM

Did I play this like an idiot?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (2 handed)

Button (t1500)
Hero (t1500)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
Button calls t10, Hero checks.

Flop: (t40) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t30</font>, Button calls t30.

Turn: (t100) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t70</font>, Button calls t70.

River: (t240) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t120</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t240</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t1380</font>

HokieGreg 11-11-2007 02:11 AM

Bubbling REPEATEDLY in the sunday million fpp satellites and watching my hard-earned fpp's get flushed down the drain has possibly been the most life-tilting experience of my poker career.

RIP FPP's.

HokieGreg 11-11-2007 02:13 AM

P.S. - There is about a 30 minute period following the beginning of my life-tilt sessions where I will accept any and all grudge matches, HU 4 ROLLZ, or whatever.

Starting now...

Landonfan 11-11-2007 02:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Did I play this like an idiot?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (2 handed)

Button (t1500)
Hero (t1500)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
Button calls t10, Hero checks.

Flop: (t40) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t30</font>, Button calls t30.

Turn: (t100) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t70</font>, Button calls t70.

River: (t240) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t120</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t240</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t1380</font>

[/ QUOTE ]
1) What does it really, really look like he has?
2) What hands are calling a shove?

Somekid 11-11-2007 02:21 AM

Yeah, this was ridiculous. I must be really tired. I didn't realize that he only needs a 7 to complete the straight (for some reason I thought he needed T7). Wow, I'm going to stop playing right now.

I'm going to work on my board reading.

ChicagoRy 11-11-2007 04:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
P.S. - There is about a 30 minute period following the beginning of my life-tilt sessions where I will accept any and all grudge matches, HU 4 ROLLZ, or whatever.

Starting now...

[/ QUOTE ]

Lets do this.

Indiana 11-11-2007 05:06 AM

jesus did the celtics win a big game or something? This is one gawd aweful noisy city tonight. guess i'll have to sleep on the plane:( I cannot wait to get back to civilization tomorrow!

Indy

Indiana 11-11-2007 05:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bubbling REPEATEDLY in the sunday million fpp satellites and watching my hard-earned fpp's get flushed down the drain has possibly been the most life-tilting experience of my poker career.

RIP FPP's.

[/ QUOTE ]

mtts life tilt me just about always.

pokercurious 11-11-2007 05:35 AM

Why is it that I get sucked out on so much? I'm pretty sure it's more than the allotted "if you consistently get it in with the best of it, you take more bad beats".

And moreover, why is it that when I go on tilt from it, I never hit my suckouts?

I have a lot of them, but try as I might, I just can't spend SklanskyHUSNGChips.

This is truly neither a game of skill or luck, but one of magic, and there seems to be powerful magic aligned against me.

[censored]. THIS. [censored].

HokieGreg 11-11-2007 05:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

RIP FPP's.

[/ QUOTE ]

mtts life tilt me just about always.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, but this was STT's. Pick your poison I guess.

Small sample size obviously, but I played 7 5400 fpp satellites (top 4 get the $215 entry) and I came in 5th 5 times. The shortstacks doubled/tripled up over and over obviously.

I would have much rather come in something like 10th 8th 7th 5th 5th or something, but I guess that would mean I was playing poorly.

-- I did place in 2 so I at least made $430 out of it.

Vinetou 11-11-2007 06:01 AM

I only played 3 of those sattelites so far and I won all of them. The secret is to double up one time and then fold into the money and let others be impatient. Pushbotting and that stuff doesn't work. Even if you only have 3BB's, fold if some other guy has 2BB's. I was running hot in all 3 of those (I remember having AQ against AK and won with my AQ), but this was my basic strategy.

Of course, this is probably just a variance, Hokie, but these sattelites are probably largely profitable.

Indiana 11-11-2007 06:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why is it that I get sucked out on so much? I'm pretty sure it's more than the allotted "if you consistently get it in with the best of it, you take more bad beats".

And moreover, why is it that when I go on tilt from it, I never hit my suckouts?

I have a lot of them, but try as I might, I just can't spend SklanskyHUSNGChips.

This is truly neither a game of skill or luck, but one of magic, and there seems to be powerful magic aligned against me.

[/ QUOTE ]

u will run worse than u ever thought possible. I've been a super profitable player for about 4 yrs now. There have been times when i ran so bad i thought Lee Jones at pokerstars had it out for me and was screwing with my cards. THere have been times when I've shed tears. There have been times when i threw things. There have been times when I've contemplated suicide.

Variance is a true beast. There are many many talented poker players that will never make it because they cannot stomache the pain that this game will bring you.

GL,

Indy

Vinetou 11-11-2007 06:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

u will run worse than u ever thought possible. I've been a super profitable player for about 4 yrs now. There have been times when i ran so bad i thought Lee Jones at pokerstars had it out for me and was screwing with my cards. THere have been times when I've shed tears. There have been times when i threw things. There have been times when I've contemplated suicide.

Variance is a true beast. There are many many talented poker players that will never make it because they cannot stomache the pain that this game will bring you.

GL,

Indy

[/ QUOTE ]

Indy is right. We all experience it from time to time. Variance is the beauty of this game. The secret is to start loving poker even though poker doesn't love you sometimes. I love poker even when I am losing.

You have to take it as a part of this game.

MasterLJ 11-11-2007 06:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

GL,

Indy

[/ QUOTE ]

QFMFT.

I've given myself a concussion banging my head on the carpet, seriously.

Part of becoming a strong poker player is learning about variance (what is normal, what is abnormal) and embracing it. There are countless steps you can take (which most people don't) to get your variance down as low as possible.

Indiana 11-11-2007 06:12 AM

actually its the losing that truly solidified my passion for poker. Proving to myself that I can lose 2K in 2 hours and then make myself quit playing, and then come back and recover from this loss is something that has truly made me proud.

If poker were easy and it didnt [censored] with us, it wouldnt be as interesting or fun. So get out there and enjoy those losses!

Indiana 11-11-2007 06:15 AM

also, u will never become a successful poker player without losing your shirt a few times and having the balls to recover from it. losing shouldnt life tilt you, but rather, should make u understand that you are on your way to being a winner if you dont let it break u!

HokieGreg 11-11-2007 06:20 AM

tears, maybe. suicide, no. throwing things, well, obviously.

this might be why your wife has such a huge problem with you playing poker lol

Indiana 11-11-2007 06:23 AM

this is exactly why she hates poker. actually she used to like it and even enjoyed going down to teh wsop with me. hell, she even played cards at the table with me. but it was when i started getting very serious about the game that she started hating it.

On a more positive note, cwar has helped me get over the results over the game and my wife is liking it again because im not results oriented and im not unhappy anymore when I play.

pokercurious 11-11-2007 06:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, but I'm assuming that the flip side must also occasionally be true. I'm just waiting to catch a heater, I suppose. I mean, I decided a few months ago to really take this poker thing seriously - spend time studying and reviewing in order to improve. And while I'm not that good (yet), I'm certainly miles above where I was a couple of months ago. But since a small upswing at the the beginning of that period, it's been a steady, slight decline. I wouldn't mind at least a little bit of positive reinforcement as I'm starting this journey.

[ QUOTE ]
Part of becoming a strong poker player is learning about variance (what is normal, what is abnormal) and embracing it. There are countless steps you can take (which most people don't) to get your variance down as low as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please elaborate, I would welcome and appreciate any advice.

Vinetou 11-11-2007 06:30 AM

One more thing Norman Chad said in WSOP:

The best thing in the world is gambling and winning and the second best thing in the world is gambling and losing. So when you are losing, you do the second best thing in the world. Not bad, right? (he should include having sex somewhere along the way, but you get the point).

Indiana 11-11-2007 06:32 AM

you see, having a heater will happen for you BUT these downswings will be very common. actually if you are not having lots of downswings then you are probably playing at stakes lower than where you should be playing. sure, you can grind out 15-30 bucks an hour VERY VERY safely over the long run with no swings and little emotional stress but you are surely stagnating like that and cutting yourself short by doing so.

The thing about poker is taht you shouldnt put yourself in a spot where you NEED to win, because you never will if you NEED to. Play to make good decisions and because you love this game and the results will eventually follow.

Indy

HokieGreg 11-11-2007 06:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you see, having a heater will happen for you BUT these downswings will be very common. actually if you are not having lots of downswings then you are probably playing at stakes lower than where you should be playing. sure, you can grind out 15-30 bucks an hour VERY VERY safely over the long run with no swings and little emotional stress but you are surely stagnating like that and cutting yourself short by doing so.

The thing about poker is taht you shouldnt put yourself in a spot where you NEED to win, because you never will if you NEED to. Play to make good decisions and because you love this game and the results will eventually follow.

Indy

[/ QUOTE ]

This pretty much sums me up currently. I'm playing the 33's (usually 2-tabling now) with a 18% ROI(+/- 1-2%). I've played higher levels over large sample sizes (55's/110's/occasional shots at 220's), but I'm not able to handle the swings yet. At the 110's I had something like a 4-5% roi, which was significantly hurt by several massive stretches of tilt.

I'm satisfied grinding out a steady profit with a solid hourly rate for the time being. I have student loans that need to be paid off and a little credit card debt. I feel like I will be ready to move up levels when I'm debt free and won't sweat the swings quite as much because of that.

I'm just worried that my game is falling into a stagant period, like you said. I've been posting a lot more, which forces me to think about the game, but 99% of my games aren't a significant challenge to me.

Do you think staying at the 33's for a few more months will have an adverse effect on my game overall??? Or am i just leaving money on the table basically???

Indiana 11-11-2007 06:50 AM

i was in your spot a year ago. i got into a staking deal with cwar and he helped me grow out of this and now i play the 115s and 220s, and not to brag or anything but im likely the best 115er on full tilt.

as for your situation, you should talk with better players and try to get some help because if u can beat the 33s at that clip, you can beat the 115s easy. I understand your conservative nature, but you are leaving huge $ on the table bro.

Indiana 11-11-2007 06:51 AM

by the way, did anybody notice that The Grinder just took genius 28 for a ton of $?

MasterLJ 11-11-2007 06:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
by the way, did anybody notice that The Grinder just took genius 28 for a ton of $?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope.

Details?

Genius was up like $100k on PA today.

HokieGreg 11-11-2007 06:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i was in your spot a year ago. i got into a staking deal with cwar and he helped me grow out of this and now i play the 115s and 220s, and not to brag or anything but im likely the best 115er on full tilt.

as for your situation, you should talk with better players and try to get some help because if u can beat the 33s at that clip, you can beat the 115s easy. I understand your conservative nature, but you are leaving huge $ on the table bro.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks for the reply

not to brag, but im probably the best 33er on stars (lol hudge brag)

Indiana 11-11-2007 06:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope.

Details?

Genius was up like $100k on PA today.

[/ QUOTE ]

sharkscope genius28 on stars....grinder beat him like 8 in a row. i mean is mizrachi that [censored] good?