Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Week 3 College Football Thread (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=500557)

barryc83 09-15-2007 11:03 PM

Re: Week 3 College Football Thread

bama will own au this year. how will au even score?

Austiger 09-15-2007 11:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
UAT- You forgot the refs handing the game with the bogus PI call to give them the shot at the end zone.

[/ QUOTE ]

were 3-0 youre 1-2. your program is obsolete.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a little harsh, especially since we own you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he's implying this will soon become owned, as in past tense. The Alabama / Auburn game is always a dog fight, but I wouldn't go making any predictions about this years game. As best I can tell so far, both teams will be trying their hardest to give it away to the other.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I think the rivalry will be great again. Auburn's frosh QB looked great today and I know you guys will be back. But calling us obsolete must be rebutted.

WTF at Kentucky not going for 2?

vhawk01 09-15-2007 11:04 PM

Can you make a coach run windsprints for something as absolutely retarded as not going for 2 there?

Russ M. 09-15-2007 11:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
bama will own au this year. how will au even score?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm loving these random bama posts.

Gregatron 09-15-2007 11:07 PM

UK wins.

BobJoeJim 09-15-2007 11:09 PM

If you go for two and don't get it then you can't force OT with a blocked extra point. DUH.

???

MyTurn2Raise 09-15-2007 11:11 PM

just to pile on...both L'ville and UK's coaches should be fired

LV doesn't kick the FG on 4th and goal from the 6 down 33-28
add in the numerous blown coverage calls this year

UK doesn't go for 2 up 5 with 30 seconds left

I'm sick of just pure idiocy out there

Gregatron 09-15-2007 11:12 PM

One thing I love about USC: their cheerleaders have the most awesome sweaters!

EDIT to add: I flipped to the USC game to check the score and the announcers were kissing Jimmy Claussen's ass!!!!!1111 I'm sick of hearing about this overhyped, arrogant little... I won't say it. Plus, it's a USC-Neb game! GRRRRRasdlgfhKSDGKJ;ADSG;LKsdhgfsdJKSHDGFSJKHDSFKJ HFskdjhdasf

pwnsall 09-16-2007 03:26 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hG8Foe1-HoE

Best clip I can find at the time of uconn temple. Should have been a classic ending.

orange 09-16-2007 03:27 AM

[censored] USC. thank god my gators won, i'd go apeshit if all the teams lost. USC game atmosphere was sooo awesome (and having ESPN gameday here in lincoln was really great too). but alas, USC just dominated both lines and killed us. bahhhh.

bills217 09-16-2007 08:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
just to pile on...both L'ville and UK's coaches should be fired

LV doesn't kick the FG on 4th and goal from the 6 down 33-28
add in the numerous blown coverage calls this year

UK doesn't go for 2 up 5 with 30 seconds left

I'm sick of just pure idiocy out there

[/ QUOTE ]

To address this:

Rich Brooks said in his postgame quotes that he tried to call timeout to set-up the two-pointer (a clearly obvious decision), but there was a ton of confusion amid the celebration...after all, they did just score in a 57-yard TD with under 30 seconds remaining to take the lead in the program's biggest game in a long, long time. The kicking unit just kinda went out there and kicked it on its own.

It was a terrible, inexcusable mistake that costs you the game there a small percentage of the time, but it is somewhat more understandable in that light IMO.

As for Louisville not kicking the FG...close call. From the 6 I prolly kick, but from the 2 or 3 I'm going for sure. I have a bigger problem with the play-call (middle TE screen on 4th and goal from the 6?????) than the actual decision to go...Louisville's defense was inept, and a Kentucky TD on the ensuing drive (if Louisville takes the 3) makes it a 2-possession game and seals the deal. If UL goes and doesn't get it, UK has to start near their own goal line anyway and you probably get the ball back.

And...nice coverage by U of L on that game-winning TD. My goodness...nobody even near Steve Johnson.

Also warrants mentioning that UK had a tremendously overmatched walk-on cornerback matching up with Mario Urrutia for most of the second half, but still only allowed 1 offensive TD in the half. Gutty performance by the UK defense.

bills217 09-16-2007 08:13 AM

Does Kentucky get some respect now that we've won 8 of our last 9 games including wins over UGA, Clemson, and Louisville? (The only loss in that stretch was at Tennessee, in a game UK basically gave away.)

Kentucky is a very weird team. This current edition of the Cats plays at a sustainable positive turnover margin. They should have been an exception to Phil Steele's TO-margin reversal predictions. The defense usually gives up a ton of yards, but has a knack for keeping the other team off the board and forcing key turnovers, probably due to an emphasis on stripping the ball instead of (sometimes) wrapping up. And Andre Woodson simply doesn't ever make plays that hurt you, refusing to force the ball into coverage.

Kentucky also has a comically small O-line and no real power backs, and as a result struggles mightily in short-yardage situations, but they utilize what they've got to the fullest extent possible, running tons of sweeps to get the more nimble OL's out on the perimeter to block for UK's gaggle of quick, elusive backs. Alfonso Smith would be far and away LSU's best back and he doesn't see the field in close games.

I contend that cornerback Trevard Lindley may be the most underrated player in the entire country...no accolades or really even mentions by local outlets, much less national. It's not really accurate to call him a shut-down corner in the truest sense, because UK's scheme consists of a lot of vanilla zone coverages, but you very rarely see Lindley get beat. Got good size, speed, and hands. Only a sophomore, too.

orange 09-16-2007 01:05 PM

Bills,
I definitely give UK props (and have told my friends constantly that UK is the real deal). I still think you have some defensive issues but your offensive is just as explosive as predicted.

mastin1 09-16-2007 01:42 PM

Fun stats from the LSU game... considering MTSU put up 42 against a no 8 ranked louisiville.

MTSU 37 rushes for 9 yards, avg per carry .2 yards.

90 total yards.

MTSU's first drive went 9 plays for 23 yards. The next 8 drives were all 4 plays or less and went for a combined 12 yards.

LSU has out scored its 3 opponents 147-7.

Gregatron 09-16-2007 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fun stats from the LSU game... considering MTSU put up 42 against a no 8 ranked louisiville.

90 total yards.

MTSU's first drive went 9 plays for 23 yards. The next 8 drives were all 4 plays or less and went for a combined 12 yards.

[/ QUOTE ]
I really really really wish LSU was playing Notre Dame this year. And Les Miles was in a pissy mood and would run up the score. That would be so ugly... [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

EDIT: I guess they are playing USC, but Pete Carroll will likely let up after his is up 50. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

pvn 09-16-2007 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Lou Holtz: "If Notre Dame loses this game against Michigan, it's going to be very hard for them to make a third straight BCS bowl game."

Wow. Just wow.

I did not think it was possible for Lou Holtz to get any dumber.

[/ QUOTE ]

If anyone could make a BCS bowl with 2 losses, it's ND.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

Free Shoes U did it with 4.

MyTurn2Raise 09-16-2007 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

90 total yards.

[/ QUOTE ]
I really really really wish LSU was playing Notre Dame this year. And Les Miles was in a pissy mood and would run up the score. That would be so ugly... [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

EDIT: I guess they are playing USC, but Pete Carroll will likely let up after his is up 50. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pete Carroll doesn't let up

he might take out a few starters, but he doesn't let up

pvn 09-16-2007 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
UAT- You forgot the refs handing the game with the bogus PI call to give them the shot at the end zone.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, you want to talk about the PAST? Yeah, Aubie "owns" bama. Sure. 12 national championships versus getting left out of the big dance a couple of years ago. Yeah, the pattern is clear.

Being on the upside of short term variance isn't "owning".

pvn 09-16-2007 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why in the mother [censored] world did they just kick a fg

[/ QUOTE ]

In hindsight, this should be obvious. The chances of converting the fourth down are pretty crappy; combine that with the chance of actually getting the TD plus winning in OT, and you're looking at a real long shot.

Taking the FG is the psychological play of the century. It burns the bridges. Forces the troops to fight to the death. If you go for the first down and miss, the team goes into shula mode and gives up.

Cliffs notes: there's a reason Saban makes $4MM and you're bagging groceries.

BobJoeJim 09-16-2007 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

90 total yards.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pete Carroll doesn't let up

he might take out a few starters, but he doesn't let up

[/ QUOTE ]
Plus what would "letting up" entail? Normally it's running the ball every play with backups in, right? With USC's depth at running back how does that reduce their ability to score against Notre Dame? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Austiger 09-16-2007 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, you want to talk about the PAST? Yeah, Aubie "owns" bama. Sure. 12 national championships versus getting left out of the big dance a couple of years ago. Yeah, the pattern is clear.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is especially rich considering you started the national poll bogus thread. LOL 12 national titles. Care to revise that?

Own, by the way, is present tense, not past. As in, we have a 5-game winning streak over you. I've been an Auburn football fan since I was growing up in the 80's. Since that time, we've won more Iron Bowls than you, more SEC titles, had more great teams, more undefeated seasons, more overall wins, more SEC wins, etc, etc, etc. I guess the last 25 years is variance.

JackWhite 09-16-2007 07:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In hindsight, this should be obvious. The chances of converting the fourth down are pretty crappy; combine that with the chance of actually getting the TD plus winning in OT, and you're looking at a real long shot.

Taking the FG is the psychological play of the century. It burns the bridges. Forces the troops to fight to the death. If you go for the first down and miss, the team goes into shula mode and gives up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your post isn't consistent. Saban is a genius who makes 4 million a year and is so much better than Shula (not denying that), but then you say that if you go for it on 4th down and miss, the team would quit. If Saban is such a genius, his team wouldn't quit when down by 7 with 4 minutes to play.

As for the decision to kick the field goal, I still think it was a bad move. The big thing you didn't mention in your post was the fact that Bama had not stopped Arkansas at all in the 2nd half. By kicking the field goal, you give the ball back to Arkansas with 4 or 5 minutes to go (can't remember the exact time), then you have to finally stop them, then score a TD. I think going for it on 4 and 6 (?) is a higher percentage play.

Austiger 09-16-2007 07:48 PM

Going for the FG there was ridiculously bad. Only McFadden's cramps and Nutt's equally bad decision to throw an incompletion on 3rd down kept it from being costly.

pvn 09-16-2007 10:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is especially rich considering you started the national poll bogus thread. LOL 12 national titles. Care to revise that?

Own, by the way, is present tense, not past. As in, we have a 5-game winning streak over you. I've been an Auburn football fan since I was growing up in the 80's. Since that time, we've won more Iron Bowls than you, more SEC titles, had more great teams, more undefeated seasons, more overall wins, more SEC wins, etc, etc, etc. I guess the last 25 years is variance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, you want to talk about the PRESENT? Yeah, you got owned by Jim Levitt. We'll see what happens in November. I hope "the thumb" gives you some comfort, tubby will be sucking on his by that time if he still has a job.

pvn 09-16-2007 10:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your post isn't consistent. Saban is a genius who makes 4 million a year and is so much better than Shula (not denying that), but then you say that if you go for it on 4th down and miss, the team would quit. If Saban is such a genius, his team wouldn't quit when down by 7 with 4 minutes to play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where's the inconsistency? You make the call that maximizes expectation, and accounting for mental status is part of that.

ChoicestHops 09-17-2007 12:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad some one said it. Great game yesterday but Arkansas was absolutely robbed at the end with the PI call. It was ridiculous. Games should never be decided because of a penalty, and of course Saban takes the credit for the win when really it was handed to Bama by the refs.

MyTurn2Raise 09-17-2007 12:58 AM

keep in mind that there was an obvious PI on Arkansas not called before that coinflip one

I thought the one called was a PI in live play, but thought it should've been a no call with the slo-mo replay

JackWhite 09-17-2007 02:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Where's the inconsistency? You make the call that maximizes expectation, and accounting for mental status is part of that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Certainly. However, I think you are overestimating the psychological impact of not getting the 4th down, though. I cannot imagine a Saban team having a huge let down in a 7 point game in the 4th quarter with several minutes to play.

einbert 09-17-2007 02:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Own, by the way, is present tense, not past. As in, we have a 5-game winning streak over you.

[/ QUOTE ]
Enjoy it till November.

UATrewqaz 09-17-2007 03:52 AM

You sound just like the Ga. Tech fans here in Atlanta ranting about UGA.

It's no fun being 2nd banana in the state, but you always will be thanks to Mr. Houndstooth cap.

The recent Auburn dominance over the past few years is due directly to Alabama screwing itself over with probation and coaching turmoil.

It's not coincidence that Auburn's zeinth of football over the last 3-4 years came during one of the worst 3-4 years stretches at Alabama in recent history.

Alabama is not a huge state like a Texas, Florida, or California. There are only so many recruits to go around and Auburn was easily winning the recruiting war due to all the problems at Alabama.

Other points:

1. I probably would have gone for the TD instead of kicking the FG. Even if you make the FG you STILL need a TD. All the FG accomplishes is you win rather than OT if you happen to score (which involves stopping them, which they showed no signs of doing).

2. The PI call was indeed iffy, but using it as a reason Arkansas lost is a complete cop-out. First, the call was iffy, not necessarily terrible. It looked worse live than on replay. Second, it moved the ball from the 28 to the 14. While that's an important 14 years, Arkansas still yielded the other 50 or so yards on the drive and really was showing no signs of stopping them.

Dudd 09-17-2007 03:58 AM

Can someone please explain to me why Saban is considered to be such a coaching god? He had one good year at MSU, and only had one year with less than 3 losses at LSU, the obvious BCS year. He just seems like a decent coach, but more Zook than Meyer.

UATrewqaz 09-17-2007 04:31 AM

He's supposedly an awesome recruiter.

I don't know if he can be called a coaching genius unless he can get Alabama back to prominence.

MyTurn2Raise 09-17-2007 04:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Can someone please explain to me why Saban is considered to be such a coaching god? He had one good year at MSU, and only had one year with less than 3 losses at LSU, the obvious BCS year. He just seems like a decent coach, but more Zook than Meyer.

[/ QUOTE ]

bummer...you're going to make me knock one of my adopted teams--LSU

ok, for quite some time, LSU was pretty overrated as a program for a decent span of time

beginning with the #1 year of 1958, LSU was a top 20 fixture through 1973
1960 and 1966 were the only 2 years out of the 16 year span the TIGERS were not in the final top 20. 8 of those years were top10 with 2 more at #11.

Then, there is a gap
they go 74 to 81 without being rated

The tigers are rated from 82-88 (except for 83) with a top 5 in 87 and #10 in 86. A nice little run, but not the peak or the sustained high success of the other run

then, another gap

from 89 until Saban took over, the Tigers were only ranked twice
1996 and 1997 at #12 and #13 respectively

so, what we have is a program that was once a dynamo and fans still alive from that era. Before Saban took over, LSU merely had the past history of success, but wasn't exactly a top notch program on the national scene anymore.

Right away, Saban coached up the players left to him and got them ranked. They were ranked in 4 of his 5 seasons, 2 top 5, and a national title. More than that, he stocked the cupboard so that the successor couldn't help but be successful. Saban put rivals ranked #1 and #2 classes together for his last two completed recruiting seasons.

Basically, Saban brought back LSU football to the level that those old alums remember it as a child, teen, and/or young adult. The 58 through 73 era was back.

Naturally, he is viewed as a savior to a very vociferous fanbase.

Saban's MSU time isn't overly impressive. He overachieved one season with a year-in and year-out mediocre program and cashed it in for a better job at LSU. Timing is everything.

However, he made the most of that chance and brought LSU back to being one of the name programs in the country.
That is how his reputation has been built.

Oh yeah, he's very good at massaging his rep and making it seem larger than it really is.

pvn 09-17-2007 09:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The recent Auburn dominance over the past few years is due directly to Alabama getting screwed over with probation and MAL MOORE creating coaching turmoil.

[/ QUOTE ]

The NCAA stuff is conspiracy-laden. Alabama got the worst punishment for something relatively minor (a player talking to an agent - without any knowlege of any coach or other staff) while Miami gets busted for much, much worse stuff (actively helping their "students" defraud the federal government through student loan programs) and gets a slap on the wrist. Plus, most of the "evidence" for the other "violations" was fabricated by Phil Fulmer, who later had Logan Young murdered before he could reveal the treachery (OK, that's total wacko conspiracy theory, but we CAN agree that Phil Fulmer is fat, right?).

As for the coaching, well, Mal Moore is a retard. What can you do?

pvn 09-17-2007 10:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Can someone please explain to me why Saban is considered to be such a coaching god?

[/ QUOTE ]

He is a cult leader. It's totally personality driven.

More info: http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/?p=3736

BigPoppa 09-17-2007 10:04 AM

Yes, Fulmer's sheer fatness is something we can all agree on.