Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Science, Math, and Philosophy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Justify procreation, please. (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=539341)

vhawk01 11-06-2007 05:41 PM

Re: Justify procreation, please.

[ QUOTE ]
RJT, if there is a God, why is procreation valuable? I just want a comparison point for your argument.

[/ QUOTE ]

More souls for the grinder.

CORed 11-06-2007 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It will make sense if you start taking antidepressants.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or get laid. Which could lead to procreation, even if that's not your primary reason for doing it.

madnak 11-06-2007 08:33 PM

Re: This Thread Should Be a Perfect Example...

[ QUOTE ]
ooh yes when it comes to food. French, Italian, Chinese, Anglo-Indian and Thai is just about everything.

[/ QUOTE ]

As a vegetarian - one of these things is not like the others...

einbert 11-07-2007 02:00 AM

Procreation means giving "someone" a chance to experience humanity. To experience colors, music, sunsets, cheeseburgers, sex, language, love, fear, anger, regret. What chances that life has are your responsibility for awhile, but eventually will be his alone. If you are mature and stable enough to give that life a decent chance at happiness, procreation needs no further justification whatsoever.

Life is an incredible gift to be able to give, and human life that much more so.

edit: Plus, sex is fun!

MaxWeiss 11-07-2007 07:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But, why would one subjugate innocent children to a life of suffering that goes along with the joys in life?

[/ QUOTE ]

You just answered your own question.

There is BOTH happiness and suffering. If you think that you can make a child more happy than not, and happy to have been born on average, then it is moral by your standards to have a kid is it not??

Also, if you look for the statistics, smarter people are generally more likely to have kids later in life or not have them at all. That is, they try to get themselves in a position to make their kids happy BEFORE they actually have them.

That being said, I can't believe I justified your stupid post with a response.

MidGe 11-07-2007 08:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, if you look for the statistics, smarter people are generally more likely to have kids later in life or not have them at all. That is, they try to get themselves in a position to make their kids happy BEFORE they actually have them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm, I wonder were you got your statistics?

chezlaw 11-07-2007 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
ooh yes when it comes to food. French, Italian, Chinese, Anglo-Indian and Thai is just about everything.

[/ QUOTE ]

As a vegetarian - one of these things is not like the others...

[/ QUOTE ]
Sounds like a bonus point to the French. Have you ever been to Northern Spain?

madnak 11-07-2007 03:18 PM

Nope, never been to Europe.

vhawk01 11-07-2007 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you actually dispute anything he said? WTF are you talking about?

MaxWeiss 11-08-2007 09:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.gnxp.com/blog/2007/04/int...telligence.php

That's one that is focused on mainly the relationship between sex and intelligence not having kids. It's been a few years since I remember reading it, but I will post the other articles if/when I find them.

Edit: Also what about my post is stupid other than my failure to cite sources?? I felt the OP was stupid because he claimed having kids was wrong based on his view of what personal happiness is, but I don't see how my post is similarly stupid. I would like to prevent stupid posts (from me) in the future, so please do tell me where you found fault.