Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Should female circumcision be legal in the US? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=527683)

xorbie 10-21-2007 07:18 PM

Re: Should female circumcision be legal in the US?

[ QUOTE ]
It is completely untenable to hold a position that I can be responsible for ensuring that another person lives regardless of the consequences to myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not really sure how you arrived at this position. It seems axiomatic to me, which means I can accept or reject it at my whim. Many, many animals (humans included) reject your position, and so it's hard to say if you are trying to be descriptive or proscriptive here and what justification you might have.

mjkidd 10-21-2007 07:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

If a person is starving and I have food, that person does not have a right to my food. Similarly if he is just really hungry. This is very far from a semantical argument.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah except we are talking about babies and leaving a newborn infant chilling in the corner is "murder".

[/ QUOTE ]

Just because you are positive they will die does not mean its murder. I guess putting them outside where they will freeze to death is murder. But simply refusing to give someone the things they need to live is not murder. Even if they have no other way to get it.

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored]. Kid's parents are responsible for doing something better with the kid, end of story.

[/ QUOTE ]

What does that mean, better? Give it up for adoption? What if there is no one to take it?

BTW it is only because of the opulent, wealthy society that we live in that we have such a view on infanticide. Only because there is ALWAYS someone willing to take care of the baby. What if there is no one who will take it? Then what?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, are you defending infanticide? WTF are we arguing about???

xorbie 10-21-2007 07:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

What does that mean, better? Give it up for adoption? What if there is no one to take it?

BTW it is only because of the opulent, wealthy society that we live in that we have such a view on infanticide. Only because there is ALWAYS someone willing to take care of the baby. What if there is no one who will take it? Then what?

[/ QUOTE ]

Then the baby dies. Life goes on, but rainbows never seem quite as bright again and sometimes at night you can't sleep, haunted by thoughts of what may have been.

JuntMonkey 10-21-2007 07:25 PM

Not going to read the whole thread at this time, and it appears to have gone off-topic, but I'll comment on the AIDS thing. That study was done in Africa. In Africa, HIV testing methods are much less rigorous than they are in most of the developed world. There are false positives up the wazoo, and apparently it's easy for heterosexuals to get HIV from heterosexual sex in Africa, but not the rest of the world. The risk of AIDS for heterosexual men in the United States is nil.

As for male circumcision in general, do we really know that putting them through that much pain (many babies literally go into shock when it happens) doesn't have any harmful long-term effects just because they have no conscious memory?

And if it is okay to do that to male babies because they don't remember anyway...would it also be okay for a pedophile who likes young babies up to six months old to touch the baby inappropriately since he's not going to remember anyway? Would it be okay for the guy to ejaculate all over the baby's face and rub it around?

Sound brutal and disgusting? Yea, so is cutting a big piece of skin from his penis that contains nerve endings and functionality that greatly enhances sexual pleasure for both partners, you [censored] stupid animals. Go [censored] yourself if you circumcise in this day and age. Seriously.

canis582 10-21-2007 07:30 PM

junt monkey, do you think jewish doctors are responsible for the infiltration of this reprehensible practice in america?

JayTee 10-21-2007 07:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But it seems like the only arguments for infant circumcision are paternalistic, and I'm not a big fan of paternalism.

[/ QUOTE ]
Weren't you arguing that "infanticide should be acceptable" (I assume you meant legal, not acceptable), that children have no rights and that they aren't people? If you don't care that the child is killed, what do you care if they are circumsized?

[/ QUOTE ]

I explained that in my post above. What part did you not understand?

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't think that infants have the right to not be murdered? When is the right gained? Birth seems to be a pretty clear cut line to me.

[/ QUOTE ]
Talking about their right not to be murdered is a complete distortion of the issue and it is no wonder why it seems unacceptable to you, when you frame it that why. Instead of right not to be murdered, why don't you ask when they acquire the right to my food and shelter? It might sound heartless or whatever but at least that is a legitimate way of phrasing it.

[/ QUOTE ]

we were talking about infanticide, which I assumed to be aggressing against the child rather than not providing for it.

JuntMonkey 10-21-2007 08:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
junt monkey, do you think jewish doctors are responsible for the infiltration of this reprehensible practice in america?

[/ QUOTE ]

At first I thought you were goading me, but I checked your other posts in the thread and it doesn't appear that you are. Then I started to write your question off as racist, but upon further reflection it probably is something to at least be considered. I don't know enough about the modern history of it to make much of a comment.

canis582 10-21-2007 09:58 PM

Traditionally, it has been used as a form of subjecaction...the romans did it too their slaves and jews do it to subjectate themselves before god.

Btw, I dont care if you are jewish, arab or anything, but i do care if you hoist your destructive superstitions on america.

BCPVP 10-21-2007 10:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Traditionally, it has been used as a form of subjecaction...the romans did it too their slaves and jews do it to subjectate themselves before god.

Btw, I dont care if you are jewish, arab or anything, but i do care if you hoist your destructive superstitions on america.

[/ QUOTE ]
Lol, circumcision will bring down the country!!!

Misfire 10-21-2007 11:52 PM

Nothing but a big thank-you to my parents for making sure I don't look like an anteater.