Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Ask me about being a sports writer! (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=489184)

LetItBe 08-31-2007 08:38 AM

Re: Ask me about being a sports writer!

[ QUOTE ]
And...dude...seriously, just because you don't think something is newsworthy doesn't mean that it isn't...get over yourself (speaking of arrogant).

[/ QUOTE ]

But because you do it is? Nice.

mo42nyy 08-31-2007 09:39 AM

Having no symphathy for Larkin is one thing. Asking a retarded question (which you were forced to so its not your fault) is another.
Just because a reporter asks it doesn't make it newsworthy.
Maybe Im just used to awful Yankees media coverage and hearing Joe Torre talk about another pitcher getting rocked as "battling" but Im sure I hate the idiotic questions almost as much as the players. If I was Barry Larkin I would have reacted the exact same way just in the hopes that I would make you uncomfortable enough not to ask another stupid question.

"Barry how does it feel to pass a pointless record?"
It feels terrible, even if I had gotten a game winning single with the bases loaded I would have felt like [censored] for
not hitting a grandslam.Forget wins and losses, all that matters are streaks that nobody has ever heard of.

MicroBob 08-31-2007 01:32 PM

I really don't know if negative records and statistics like that are appropriate to ask.
Some pitcher gives up 4 conseuctive home-runs to tie or break a record or whatever. Are you really going to run up to him and jam a tape-recorder into his face and ask him how he feels?

siccjay 08-31-2007 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am sorry, but just because you are in the media doesn't give you the right to embarrass a guy further. If I was Larkin that dumbass question at that time would have made me furious as well.

I guess you don't see it because it was your job to do it and you feel like it is your right. I guess dumb questions just piss me off more than most people.

[/ QUOTE ]

You simply just don't understand the business and, honestly, there's no way you could since you haven't worked in it.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is not about understanding the business. How could someone not understand the business anyway? It is not some deep job. You write about sports...woooo

You can write a story about anything you want WITHTOUT asking the player a stupid ass question at a stupid ass time.

siccjay 08-31-2007 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Murph,
Which of the following should make the baseball HOF. Scale of 1-10. 1= Absolutely no way 5= Coinflip 10= If he doesn't get in I will burn down Cooperstown.
Bernie Williams
Jorge Posada
Barry Larkin
Roberto Alomar

[/ QUOTE ]

Bernie Williams - 3
Jorge Posada - 1
Barry Larkin - 10
Roberto Alomar - 5

[/ QUOTE ]

Alomar a coinflip and Larkin a sure thing? I thought you were unbiased and knew about sports? I am a Reds fan too.

bottomset 08-31-2007 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Murph,
Which of the following should make the baseball HOF. Scale of 1-10. 1= Absolutely no way 5= Coinflip 10= If he doesn't get in I will burn down Cooperstown.
Bernie Williams
Jorge Posada
Barry Larkin
Roberto Alomar

[/ QUOTE ]

Bernie Williams - 3
Jorge Posada - 1
Barry Larkin - 10
Roberto Alomar - 5

[/ QUOTE ]

lol if there was any doubt you were clueless about baseball this eliminated it

MurphNKY 08-31-2007 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And...dude...seriously, just because you don't think something is newsworthy doesn't mean that it isn't...get over yourself (speaking of arrogant).

[/ QUOTE ]

But because you do it is? Nice.

[/ QUOTE ]

All I'm saying is this, I worked in journalism for five plus years. I have two degrees, one being in journalism. While I have no doubt that most things are cut and dry as far as newsworthy or not....I would think the things thar are marginal, I would have - with my education and experience - more wisdom than you in determining that.

Is that unfair?

MicroBob 08-31-2007 05:13 PM

I was ignoring the part about the HOF rankings but just now noticed the "Larkin - 10" thing as well as the other players' rankings which I agree are pretty darned weird.

MurphNKY 08-31-2007 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Having no symphathy for Larkin is one thing. Asking a retarded question (which you were forced to so its not your fault) is another.
Just because a reporter asks it doesn't make it newsworthy.
Maybe Im just used to awful Yankees media coverage and hearing Joe Torre talk about another pitcher getting rocked as "battling" but Im sure I hate the idiotic questions almost as much as the players. If I was Barry Larkin I would have reacted the exact same way just in the hopes that I would make you uncomfortable enough not to ask another stupid question.

"Barry how does it feel to pass a pointless record?"
It feels terrible, even if I had gotten a game winning single with the bases loaded I would have felt like [censored] for
not hitting a grandslam.Forget wins and losses, all that matters are streaks that nobody has ever heard of.

[/ QUOTE ]

Grrr..ok, I think I totally agree with you - again - on the fact that stupid questions are ABOUND in journalism. And yes, that drove and drives me nuts as well.

The problem I have is I don't think that those who aren't experienced in print journalism don't understand that, at times, it's literally impossible to get quotes from athletes no matter what kind of question you ask.

So, for instance, if I'm interviewing someone and they aren't giving me anything quotable, I have to change my approach and ask questions on the fly to get what I want. Sometimes, depending on the ability of the interviewer, you ask questions that - to the novice - may not seem right or brilliant, but will get what you want from the athletic.

There's just a huge difference between asking a retarted question and asking a question that might not sound right, but emotes good info from an athlete.

Again, not seeing the newsworthiness of this..which is a totally separate issue..is amazing to me. Also, note..not for a major expose, but for a sidebar or note. But, again, it's like asking me to understand why certain things are taxable and some aren't...I'm not an accountant and would never claim to understand what they do or - liek so many of yoiu have done - attack without educated understanding.

MurphNKY 08-31-2007 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really don't know if negative records and statistics like that are appropriate to ask.
Some pitcher gives up 4 conseuctive home-runs to tie or break a record or whatever. Are you really going to run up to him and jam a tape-recorder into his face and ask him how he feels?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Bob! Again, a major difference between handling the situation like that AND being tactful about it. So, instead of running up and jamming the recorder in his face and asking him if he's aware of how much he sucks..you could do this..

"Bronson, I know tonight wasn't the outcome you'd hoped for, but I'm wondering if you could talk to me about the stretch where you gave up four consecutive homers...can you take me though that...that must have been tough to maintain your composure"

Any reporter who doesn't approach said pitcher and handle this situation tactfully - like that - is a fool. You can't avoid something like that bc you dont' want to upset an athlete.