Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Ultimate Frisbee (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=485834)

gumpzilla 08-27-2007 09:23 PM

Re: Ultimate Frisbee

People who criticize the lack of athleticism in ultimate and talk about all of the hippies have almost invariably never seen a serious game between skilled teams. As others have pointed out, the best ultimate players are not the athletic equals of the best players in other sports; in the case of most people posting here, though, they're probably more athletic than most people you play with in whatever sport you engage in.

Brain 08-27-2007 09:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Also, I got my first callahan and my first greatest (thrown for a score, no less) this year, so i'm pretty happy about those.

[/ QUOTE ]

Congrats. Pulling off the Greatest is the best feeling. Did it sophomore year against William & Mary in Annapolis.

[/ QUOTE ]

Somewhat disagree. I almost had the Callahan at universe point in game to go to nationals a few years back. By which I mean I had the Callahan and the dude made an AWFUL strip call on me. We scored the point anyway, but still.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never played with Callahan rules, but otherwise I would agree with you. That sucks!

Also, I've never heard of "universe point" until this thread.

PocketZeros 08-27-2007 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ultimate is one of those sports that white kids latch on to because the black kids haven't started playing and dominating yet. It's the only "sport" where some unathletic hippy can still reach the pinnacle.

[/ QUOTE ]
http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/3194/trollwr7.jpg

TiK 08-27-2007 10:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ultimate is one of those sports that white kids latch on to because the black kids haven't started playing and dominating yet. It's the only "sport" where some unathletic hippy can still reach the pinnacle.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's funny hearing other people's perceptions of Ultimate as a hippie sport. For me, growing up in NYC, Ultimate was an Asian game. The only people I knew who played Ultimate were Asian and from the three specialized high schools, which had tons of Asians. I'm sure there were other schools that had Ultimate "teams" (it was a club sport), but even those were comprised of Asians. I'm not talking mostly Asian either. I'm talking 99+% Asian (I'm looking at my HS yearbook and the boy's team is 100% Asian, the girl's team has 1 non-Asian girl). So I was pretty surprised when I left NYC to find white people throwing a frisbee around. Definitely threw me for a loop the first time I saw it.

Fedorfan 08-27-2007 11:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ultimate Frisbee is a sprt for people that are crap at sport. Several people form my school now play for England. I've never seen them play it, but I was in gym class with them and they were the most uncoordinated bunch of monkeys in there. If those guys can be on the national side of a country like England, well, its not going to be a sport I have any respect for in the slightest.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is fine as long as you feel similar about golf? I prefer disc golf to real golf only because real golf seems to be to slow paced for me; 18 rounds in real golf takes what around 3 hours, in disc golf it's more like 1 to 2 hours a round, and you actually can walk the course without getting tired.

Disc golf is fun because it's dirt cheap to play and unlike real golf you can often get the hang of it your first round or 2, i have two courses near me and one is free, and the other is 2 bucks for however many rounds. You can spend like 30 to 60 bucks on discs and your good to go.

AE6 08-27-2007 11:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

once you get a game with a bunch of skilled players, the throws won't be just floating around really high.

[/ QUOTE ]

I realize that. I have a few friends on college ultimate teams and whatnot. I'm just saying that the floater to the guy with 6 inches on everyone is unstoppable.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're wrong (video link)

[/ QUOTE ]

1. That throw was terrible.
2. Nord still catches it 9 times out of 10.

[/ QUOTE ]
the guy in the red shirt appears to have a 12 inch vertical at best

StevieG 08-27-2007 11:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

This is fine as long as you feel similar about golf?

[/ QUOTE ]

You should read the rest of the thread. JR remarks later that he mistook Ultimate for freestyle.

AceCR9 08-28-2007 12:09 AM

I can play ultimate as well as any casual player I would bet, and I'm 5'8 and overweight.

however I have been playing disc(frisbee) golf for 8 years, and can throw almost any throw possible, and can throw over 250ft w/ a ultimate disc.

dms 08-28-2007 12:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No one unathletic can get anywhere near the pinnacle.

kkcountry 08-28-2007 02:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

that's sorta what i was saying, without the racial angle. it's also the same situation with lacrosse, amirite?