Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Poker Legislation (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   PPA Update. (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=483117)

DeadMoneyDad 09-02-2007 02:57 PM

Re: WTF ???? Hello, there are Pending Regulations out there to lobby.

[ QUOTE ]
While I wish the pro-gambling guy in KY luck, I cannot sse that as the KEY area where poker players or their purported representatives should be active ....

[/ QUOTE ]

The PPA's past lobbing efforts failed IMO because they did not have a visible real force behind their position. Yes they might represent intrests shared by enough people to make a difference, but they had show absolutely no "ownership or control" of that group.

KY is key for a number of reasons.

1. It's an off year, not mid-cycle election.
2. It's a single state-wide race.
3. Gambling is already an issue, if not the signature issue.
4. Geographically it couldn't be much better suited.

The PPA is currently undergoing a change of direction. John says he is committed to an effective grassroots organization.

If there wasn't a race like the KY race, the PPA would have to find something similar to test out it's organizational and operational plans! It would have to try to force the poker issue to some sort of promonence in the race.

This is the reason I stated we will know for sure how effective the PPA is going to be in the '08 cycle and beyond by it's efforts in KY. The timing, political, and geographic factors couldn't be more ideal!

Geographically KY couldn't be more ideal. We're in the opponets backyard, the bible belt! Seven surounding states, 14 states with-in an easy drive!

Clear you schedules poker players. Plan on committing at least a weekend day or the weekend in KY in the next 8 weeks or so. If the PPA isn't going to use KY as a training ground and get ready for a few selected primary fights in the spring, it might as well fold up shop.

Besides KY is beautiful this time of year!

D$D

DeadMoneyDad 09-02-2007 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I am glad that PPA has new offices in DC, now they are "Inside The Beltway". So, how come they ignore the peending regulations ?

Online Poker was hit with legislation last year. The opportunity to lessen the impact OR exempt poker from pending legislation remains teh single MOST immediate area for action.

Christ Almighty, we just had a lawsuit rule that "contests" are not gambling precisely because neither the sponsor or players are betting or wagering.

There is a HUGE loophole in the UIGEA where a company that is not betting or wagering is NOT covered. Is there ANY effort to sway the pending regs to exempt poker tournaments, as the sponsor is not betting or wagering, just paying a prize and collecting a fee. (I personally would argue that NO poker site is betting or wagering.)

No, we are supposed to get frothed up about the PPA because a new guy, who is ALSO an old guy, has shifted his position within the organization. Pappas moved from being a paid consultant to Executive Director. So what ? The Emperor has no new clothes .... was he responsible or influential under the "old" PPA ?

[/ QUOTE ]

To effectively affect a rule or reg you have to have a group that demands respect.

In the interests of full discloure, I have sat in many meetings where rules and regs were crafted. As well as the meeting where the political appointees discussed the political ramifications of almost every word of a reg and how it might affect this or that up comming race. I was once stupid enough to take on the job of being the poor schmuck who got their name and office phone listed in the Federal Register. I had to coordinate a response to and track every phone call, piece of mail, and e-mails.

So there are two parts of a reg fight. The best way to fight it is the backdoor when the reg is written. Getting a change is harder during the comment period because the language has already been tested and most arguements that can be made discussed and semi-prepared responses created.

I'll tell you from experience that well placed wispers before hand go much further than piles of paper after a reg is written.

If you don't have an effective organization all you can do is shout after the fact.

You can put the horse before the cart, and occasionally you might get to where you want to go, but you look really silly when you get there..........

D$D

JPFisher55 09-02-2007 03:45 PM

I'm not sure that the Regs will hurt our position. They can confer legal standing to sue on online poker players, online poker sites and others who do not have standing at present. Standing is the biggest weakness in the iMEGA case.
My only disappointment with the PPA is that they are not supporting the ongoing litigation against the DOJ, but I hope they are lobbying some members of Congress about the WTO situation.

Legislurker 09-02-2007 04:27 PM

What is the PPA's position on lawsuits? I see no reason why the PPA doesnt fund 100 disparate lawsuits in every federal jurisdiction, maybe some in states. Playing nice and supine is not an option. We should hit the DoJ hard where its weak. Litigation takes bodies and $. They are short on bodies, and I doubt they get Congress to vote in a gambling war fund. I don't think a defeat here or there matters as much as a win will. The PPA should be recruiting plaintiffs NOW. Use people like Skall who would work cheap and put together single issue, bare bones cases for single people. Hell, bog down the state courts if we can, though thats a tougher fight. If we have success in Kentucky, and can claim some hand in it, then We should have a goal of filing a lawsuit a day from Thanksgiving to Easter.

MiltonFriedman 09-02-2007 04:34 PM

Lawsuits

You voluteering to join a lawsuit as a named plaintiff ? How about iMEGA's lawsuit ?

You seem pretty eager for everyone else to stand up as a Civil plaintiff or criminal defendant, how about you ?

The iMEGA initial problem is that they have no individual plaintiffs who were enjoying prefectly legal activities who were screwed by eh chilling impact of UIGEA on those activities. Such as a Party Affiliate, a Party player, and a PStars player who used Firepay .... you qualify or volunteer ?

MiltonFriedman 09-02-2007 04:35 PM

Okay, i'll shut up.

MiltonFriedman 09-02-2007 04:46 PM

Okay, i'll keep you posted

Legislurker 09-02-2007 05:33 PM

Im not volunteering or not volunteering. But I think it would be a +EV for the PPA to offer a certain amount of $ or legal expertise to people willing to sue the Feds. With some garuntee of support in the case, yes Id sue. And I will probably pay $ to join iMega this week. Im not sure if that qualifies me to join the suit or whatnot. Im getting an opinion from someone on what they are likely to do with my information. I sincerely doubt my name and $20 will matter to iMega. How would I get them standing in NJ when I live
quite a few states away? I would like them to come out and say on the link that they need people to join the suit for standing, and Im sure 100 of us would step forward. THe will to sue isnt lacking, its the means and the organization.

JPFisher55 09-02-2007 08:17 PM

If I thought that I had any standing, then I would volunteer. But until some regulations come out that restrict online poker in some manner, I don't know who has standing.
However, the PPA could research the matter, maybe file an amicus brief in the iMEGA case and the Carruthers/Kaplan case and assist in states like Washington that have actually banned internet gambling. A Washington attorney has already filed a lawsuit challenging its law; standing may be a problem for him. Couldn't the PPA assist him?

Legislurker 09-02-2007 09:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I thought that I had any standing, then I would volunteer. But until some regulations come out that restrict online poker in some manner, I don't know who has standing.
However, the PPA could research the matter, maybe file an amicus brief in the iMEGA case and the Carruthers/Kaplan case and assist in states like Washington that have actually banned internet gambling. A Washington attorney has already filed a lawsuit challenging its law; standing may be a problem for him. Couldn't the PPA assist him?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you, you elucidate better than I do, Im the entertaining rant guy.