Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Smoked Meat (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=459895)

GHL 07-30-2007 10:18 AM

Re: Smoked Meat

Anyone have a good recipe for southern macaroni and cheese? I have one but it it's not ready yet..

Here is a starter of how I make my green beans...

Fry up some bacon in a heavy pan... a few slices or so.. when the bacon is almost done throw in a medium yellow chopped onion. When this is cooked (3-5 minutes)

Add

3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon minced garlic (or more)
1 1/2 pounds green beans, snapped or trimmed
1 scored ham hock

Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 1 1/2 - 2 hours... I don't know if it matters much but I occasionally turn the ham hock.

Remove the ham hock and discard... serve warm.

KotOD 08-19-2007 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
tinga,

The atomic buffalo turds sound really awesome, and I will have to try them soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

I made them as a side for our pig roast yesterday and they were the first dish finished. I altered the recipe a bit and stuffed the pepper with lightly browned hot sausage and then topped it with sour cream and wrapped in bacon.

They were amazing.

Klompy 08-20-2007 11:37 PM

paging guids, or anyone good at smoking

What temp is best for the finished temp on a pork shoulder? I have an 9 pound boneless on the smoker right now and it had the pop thing on it that has come out now to say that it's "done" but my understanding is that the fat doesn't mix with the rest of the meet until a higher temp. The thing popped at 150 but my understanding is that 180 is a good temp to aim for. What do you guys usually cook your pork shoulders to?

KotOD 08-20-2007 11:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

What temp is best for the finished temp on a pork shoulder? I have an 9 pound boneless on the smoker right now and it had the pop thing on it that has come out now to say that it's "done" but my understanding is that the fat doesn't mix with the rest of the meet until a higher temp. The thing popped at 150 but my understanding is that 180 is a good temp to aim for. What do you guys usually cook your pork shoulders to?

[/ QUOTE ]

How will you be serving the shoulder?

Klompy 08-20-2007 11:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How will you be serving the shoulder?

[/ QUOTE ]

I threw a rub on before the smoking, and plan on just eating it by itself as it usually tastes good by itself. I plan on putting it in the fridge and eating it all myself in the next few days eventually putting bbq sauce on the plate with it when it starts to get dry.

I don't eat bread so I won't be making sando's out of it, although I'm sure it would be quite good this way.

guids 08-20-2007 11:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

depends on what you are doing with it, but I shoot for about 165 at the thickest, and wrap it in tin foil after I take it off becuase it keeps cooking for a bit

Klompy 08-20-2007 11:54 PM

guids,

Have you tried higher temps? I'll take it off here pretty quick after I check it again I think, but mostly because I hear thunder outside and don't want to deal with the rain. Just curious what the difference between 165 and 180 is?

KotOD 08-20-2007 11:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

depends on what you are doing with it, but I shoot for about 165 at the thickest, and wrap it in tin foil after I take it off becuase it keeps cooking for a bit

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said. If you aren't doing sandwiches with it, shoot for 170, which means cook the thick part to 165 and wrap it.

For sandwiches, you're going to recombine in a pan or a crock or something anyway for serving it, so you can cut it at 150 to keep it moist and liquify the fat later with a low heat.

Klompy 08-20-2007 11:59 PM

[censored], it's already raining so I'm hosed. I hope it doesn't cool my smoker down too much but I'll head out and check the temp as soon as it isn't pooring anymore.

edit to add: half the reason I don't want to go out right now is because my smoker is second hand and sorta old and I think there's a decent chance of it shorting out in the rain. I don't want to die.

guids 08-21-2007 12:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[censored], it's already raining so I'm hosed. I hope it doesn't cool my smoker down too much but I'll head out and check the temp as soon as it isn't pooring anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

even if it cools down the smoker, it doesnt matter too much, just leave it on there a little longer. No, I dont do much pork other than ribs, so i havent experiemented with higher temps. Im rarely in a hurry, Id rather undercook something than overcook it.