Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Soccer debate - Club vs. National Team (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=442992)

assius 07-23-2007 03:31 PM

Re: Soccer debate - Club vs. National Team

Its not all about the financial reward of winning the cup! Its more about the honor. Did you watch the last two Intercontinental cups. Just look at Milan and Liverpools faces after the defeat, it was obvious they really wanted to win that game!

Sorry but comparting Old Trafford to La Bombanera is a joke. Not nearly as hostile, watch a Boca Game and tell me that is not more intense!

gusmahler 07-23-2007 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Its not all about the financial reward of winning the cup! Its more about the honor.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never heard a fan of Liverpool, Man U, Barcelona, etc. mention the Intercontinental Cup. They talk about winning the CL, winning the league, maybe even winning the FA Cup/Copa del Rey. E.g., Chelsea and Barcelona had "dissappointing" seasons because they finished second in their leagues and didn't win Europe. It's not a failure because they aren't going to win the Intercontinental Cup.

gusmahler 07-23-2007 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would still take Italy's defense anyday. Especially with Gattuso helping out in midfield and Buffon in goal.

[/ QUOTE ]What about Makele in the MF and Cech in goal?

And you didn't address the "general talent" part of the post? Surely you'd say that a Barcelona (with Eto'o, Messi, Henry, and Ronaldinho) has better forwards and midfielders than Italy? And what about Chelsea (Drogba, Shevchenko, Lampard, Essien)? Or Man U (Cristiano Ronaldo, Saha, Rooney, etc.)? Or Milan (Kaka, Ronaldo etc.)?

A lot of the top Club teams are just as stacked as the National teams.

reo 07-23-2007 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Its not all about the financial reward of winning the cup! Its more about the honor.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never heard a fan of Liverpool, Man U, Barcelona, etc. mention the Intercontinental Cup. They talk about winning the CL, winning the league, maybe even winning the FA Cup/Copa del Rey. E.g., Chelsea and Barcelona had "dissappointing" seasons because they finished second in their leagues and didn't win Europe. It's not a failure because they aren't going to win the Intercontinental Cup.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's because out of the clubs that you've mentioned, only Manchester United has won it and that was in 1999. By the way, it's never a failure to not win a tournament like the Champions League or domestic cups. It's always a failure when you don't win your domestic league.

EDIT: I typed "large" tournament. Tournaments in general don't matter whether large or small. Although, they can produce waves of revenue.

gusmahler 07-23-2007 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's because out of the clubs that you've mentioned, only Manchester United has won it and that was in 1999.

[/ QUOTE ]

My point is this: Man U fans will talk about the "treble" until their mouth (or fingers) turn blue. I didn't know until I read your post that they even won another tourney in 1999. That shows the importance that tourney has.

ThaSaltCracka 07-23-2007 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What about Makele in the MF and Cech in goal?

[/ QUOTE ] Eh, change that to Essien, I would think.

Still, Gattusso is a cu nt, and one that I would love to have on my team.

[ QUOTE ]
Surely you'd say that a Barcelona (with Eto'o, Messi, Henry, and Ronaldinho) has better forwards and midfielders than Italy? And what about Chelsea (Drogba, Shevchenko, Lampard, Essien)? Or Man U (Cristiano Ronaldo, Saha, Rooney, etc.)? Or Milan (Kaka, Ronaldo etc.)?

[/ QUOTE ] Add Argentina, Brazil, and France, and I think all of these teams are basically even IMO.

reo 07-23-2007 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's because out of the clubs that you've mentioned, only Manchester United has won it and that was in 1999.

[/ QUOTE ]

My point is this: Man U fans will talk about the "treble" until their mouth (or fingers) turn blue.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got your point the first time but I'll explain . . . .

Of course its not as significant but come December, there are fans that do watch it. It's a relatively small tournament that lasts only a week. If it didn't generate revenue, it wouldn't be played.

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't know until I read your post that they even won another tourney in 1999. That shows the importance that tourney has.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you don't watch football year round or something . . .

ThaSaltCracka 07-23-2007 05:47 PM

I am curious if Euro teams downplaying the tourney has anything to do with them not performing that well over there? Or is it just English teams that downplay it?

Total cups:
South America: 25
Europe: 21 (England 1...Manu).

reo 07-23-2007 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am curious if Euro teams downplaying the tourney has anything to do with them not performing that well over there? Or is it just English teams that downplay it?

Total cups:
South America: 25
Europe: 21 (England 1...Manu).

[/ QUOTE ]

That's how I've always looked at it. I think it's downplayed for the following reasons . . .

You have to take into consideration that it's a difficult competition to be registered for and also doesn't receive a lot of publicity due to the length of the tournament (except in the host nation). Two huge negatives . . .

The positive which is huge includes the increase in merchandising and the reputation of the club around the world.

ThaSaltCracka 07-23-2007 05:58 PM

yeah but still, even with all those negatives, the fact that its a basic 50-50 split with the edge going to S. American teams should mean something. Me, I personally have no interest in the S. American clubs, although I do like Boca, but I don't care if those teams are perceived better. It just seems that Euro pundits love bashing clubs from around the world and they have an arrogance about them. English people are probably the worst about this. Hey, if you guys are so freakin good, how come you only have one WC?