Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Health and Fitness (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SamG's Log (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=438211)

shemp 08-14-2007 10:25 PM

Re: SamG\'s Log

I didn't look at the bench. I am certain there are others more qualified than me, but I'll toss in my two cents. There are also websites where truly excellent coaches will provide truly expert coaching. Anyway, here's what I see:

On the deads there are two problems. The bar is a bit too far off your body above the knee and your hips are rising first. Look at the later reps in the workset. The first move is the hips come up, and then you nearly straighten your legs and finish with a "good morning" to get to lock out.

You want your hips and shoulders to rise together. You need to really feel the tension of your body being as one before you begin the pull. Big movements start with an energized core. So start with your butt a bit *lower*, and your upper body and core very tense, and force those heels through the ground with the bar tight to you, just hanging from your arms, which are just hanging from your scapulae.

On the squat you appear to descend by bending your legs. You want to descend by sitting your butt back and down (while keeping that chest high). The movement begins with your butt lowering, not your knees bending. (You can practice this right now!) Notice how you travel forward a bit in some of the later work reps when you come out of the hole-- it's because your weight is a bit forward. You should always be able to wiggle your toes (You can squat down right now!, wiggle your toes, then press up through your heels.) And just like on the way down, the way up isn't about straightening your legs, but lifting your butt.

I think you are getting there.

shemp 08-14-2007 10:31 PM

Tell your partner to bear with it just a while longer. I think most people scuffle a bit then have an "Aha" type moment.

Thremp 08-14-2007 11:06 PM

Bench: Read the Dave Tate article on T-nation. Basically arch your back a little and drive you feet back. You might want a wider grip as well.
Dead: Same as shemp. Deadlifting is really "personal" with form. You see people doing a lot more of what works for them than other lifts. But you need to not raise your hips before your shoulders. At worst they should move together.
Squat: This is my weak point, but looks decent on depth. I agree with Shemp's analysis though. I did a few practice ones myself and realized I was doing the same thing.

Looks like the weight in increasing steadily.

thirddan 08-14-2007 11:07 PM

im with shemp,

on your squat, you need to start the move with your butt, sit back rather than bend down...and remember to stay on your heels...keep your upper back tight and your chest up...

deadlift, doesn't look like you are completing the lockout...finish the move with your glutes and give the bar a kind of hump to lockout...

for the bench you look like you just layed down and started to go...keep your body tight, feet on the ground...shoulders back...that weight also looked very light...check out dave tate's article on t-nation on getting a big bench, it goes over a lot of little things that will help on your form, it think its one of his very first so look in the archives of his articles...

YoureToast 08-14-2007 11:27 PM

Just wanted to say this is a great thread and I appreciate SamG's commitment and everybody's advice. Your helping more than Sam.

SamG 08-16-2007 11:08 AM

You guys are awesome. Thanks!

shemp, the only point I'm confused about is lowering my butt before I bend my knees. Don't these happen together? I guess if I focus on lowering my rear and "sitting down," it keeps my weight my heels... Then I don't lunge forward when I come out of the hole. Yes?

You're spot-on about my deadlift. I can see exactly what you're talking about in the video.

8/15 - 20m exercise bike

Been slacking lately on cardio.

SamG 08-16-2007 11:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
that weight also looked very light...

[/ QUOTE ]
The first video was a warm-up. The second one was a work set, which honestly I struggled to complete.

Yeah on the bench I definitely need to focus on keeping my upper body tight and arching my back. Is this the article you mean?

shemp 08-16-2007 11:38 AM

On the way down: "With your chest up, lower your butt backwards": It's a mental cue. For your butt to get lower your knees must bend, yes-- but what doesn't happen is that your knees track forward so quickly.

On the way up,getting out of the hole: You start to lose it forward a bit, try this mental cue: "keep your head and chest up." (I've got this suggestion from the first 2 minutes of Squat Rx 2 from PoppinFresh's link below).

Generally: The thing we are getting at is keeping your weight balanced and where it should be towards your heels. You should be able to wiggle your toes throughout. Lowering your butt backwards will help you do this on the way down (I hope!)-- leading with your head/chest may help you with this on the way up.

I really do think you are getting there, but that forward lean type, both here and in the deadlift are potentially dangerous because it puts a sheering kind of stress on your lower back.

SamG 08-16-2007 11:48 AM

OK I see what you're driving at. I have some things to think about when I squat tonight.

I do think I've made real progress since my first videos -- my first deadlift video is almost comical, lol -- but there is def room for improvement.

shemp 08-16-2007 12:34 PM

Great job on the videos-- and it's great to see that others are benefiting. Two (more) suggestions: 1) tuck your shirt in, and 2) either make the camera stationary, or have the camera focused on some fixed spot-- not the lifter.