Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   the official OOT WEIRD FACTS thread (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=41073)

sigh 02-19-2006 09:16 PM

Re: the official OOT WEIRD FACTS thread

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Brain surgeries are performed while the patient is awake because the brain can not feel pain.

[/ QUOTE ]

while true, that is not the reason why.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never heard this, I am curious. What is the reason, elbow licker?

[/ QUOTE ]

It lets the patient interact with the doctors, incase something goes wrong they can alter the procedure.

billygrippo 02-19-2006 09:18 PM

this link explains why they are awake for some cases.

i guess for other types of surgery the patient doesnt have to be awake.

but you can sure as hell feel your skull getting cut open so it doesnt have to do w/ feeling at all, that i am sure of.

Peter Harris 02-19-2006 09:19 PM

so the doctors can check your nerves/reaction to where they are digging. brains are messed up homes.

sigh 02-19-2006 09:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but you can sure as hell feel your skull getting cut open so it doesnt have to do w/ feeling at all, that i am sure of.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well they obviously use anesthesia on your head so that you can't feel your skull getting torn apart, but your brain has no reaction to pain and they don't use anethesia on the actual brain.

NeedsMoreNuts 02-19-2006 09:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Brain surgeries are performed while the patient is awake because the brain can not feel pain.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's also to allow doctors to make sure that they're not cutting into parts of the brain affecting speech or movements, as someone is usually talking with the patient during the surgery.

kipin 02-19-2006 09:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ok i CAN lick my elbow. thank god im a skinny bitch:

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/3...11925ho.th.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to point out that if we weren't in the middle of the anti-Dynasty revolution I would be using this as my avatar.

billygrippo 02-19-2006 09:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well they obviously use anesthesia on your head so that you can't feel your skull getting torn apart, but your brain has no reaction to pain and they don't use anethesia on the actual brain.

[/ QUOTE ]

have you ever had teeht pulled? you can be druged out of your mind, yets its still quite uncomfortable.

i would think that cutting your skull open is similar but worse.

miajag 02-19-2006 09:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Fanta (the soda) was invented in Nazi Germany.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't quite right. "Fanta" was a brand created so that the Coca-Cola Corporation could continue doing business with Nazi Germany during WWII.

Prior to the outbreak of the second world war, Coca-Cola's only unqualified success on the international scene was its bottling operations in Nazi Germany. Sales records were being set year after year in that venue, and by 1939 Coca-Cola had 43 bottling plants and more than 600 local distributors in that country.

However, the war was about to change that. As the inevitable clash loomed ever closer, obtaining the key ingredients necessary for the production of Coca-Cola syrup became increasingly difficult in Germany, grinding production towards a standstill.

In 1938, the man in charge of Coca-Cola's operations in Germany, American-born Ray Powers, died of injuries received in an automobile accident. His right-hand man, German-born Max Keith, took over:
[Allen, 1994]

Meanwhile, the German government placed Max Keith in charge of Coca-Cola's properties in the occupied countries, and he sent word through Coca-Cola's bottler in neutral Switzerland that he would try to keep the enterprises alive. But with no means of getting ingredients, Keith stopped making Coca-Cola and began marketing an entirely new soft drink he called Fanta, a light-colored beverage that resembled ginger ale.
Fanta came by its name thanks to Keith's instructions to employees during the contest to christen the beverage — he told them to let their Fantasie [Geman for fantasy] run wild. Upon hearing that, veteran salesman Joe Knipp immediately blurted out Fanta.

This new soda was often made from the leavings of other food industries. (Remember, Germany did have a bit of an import problem at that time.) Whey (a cheese by-product) and apple fiber from cider presses found their way into the drink. As for which fruits were used in the formulation, it all depended on what was available at the time. In its earliest incarnations, the drink was sweetened with saccharin, but by 1941 its concocters were permitted to use 3.5 percent beet sugar.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where does this say it wasn't invented in Nazi Germany?

youtalkfunny 02-19-2006 09:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/3...11925ho.th.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

They took our jobs!

billygrippo 02-19-2006 09:32 PM

i dont get it.