Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   I'm 6'3 and 215lbs, what are my chances vs: Mayweather? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=395769)

Fedfan691 05-05-2007 03:55 AM

Re: I\'m 6\'3 and 215lbs, what are my chances vs: Mayweather?

[ QUOTE ]
F=MA

Someone else correctly noted that Floyd's A is way way higher than yours. However, they failed to note that his effective M is higher than yours too. Putting weight behind a punch is actually pretty difficult. It's not intuitive at all. With some basic instruction, you can do it semi-competently on a heavy bag. A bit more, and you can do it on focus mitts. More still, and you can do it in more advanced focus mitt drills. To be able to do it versus a moving target who hits back is the hardest of all though.

Hitting with your mass behind your punch requires excellent muscle memory, footwork, timing, body positioning, etc. Conclusion: Floyd definitely hits a lot harder than OP.

[/ QUOTE ]

Snowball speaks the truth, but his cliffnotes are what everyone needs to realize: boxing is wayyyy more complicated than just throwing and blocking/taking punches.

Subfallen 05-05-2007 06:27 AM

The fight would look exactly like this. Except that you would die instead of getting your ass knocked out.

Hume 05-05-2007 06:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I doubt anyone without takedown experience has much of a chance vs him

[/ QUOTE ]

Hate to be nitpicking, but there are obviously a bunch* of boxers, kickboxers etc. that would have no problems handling Mayweather, simply based on size advantage, even if they're not as technically proficient or have the same athletic ability.

* And by bunch I mean a very small minority of the entire population [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Reef 05-05-2007 07:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I doubt anyone without takedown experience has much of a chance vs him

[/ QUOTE ]

Hate to be nitpicking, but there are obviously a bunch* of boxers, kickboxers etc. that would have no problems handling Mayweather, simply based on size advantage, even if they're not as technically proficient or have the same athletic ability.

* And by bunch I mean a very small minority of the entire population [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

ya, the worst Professional heavyweight fighter currently boxing could probably beat Mayweather

Stan Loh 05-05-2007 07:55 AM

How would Chuck "Iceman" Liddell fair against Mayweather? I think he's some UFC champion or something. Saw it in the latest episode of Entourage.

NU Star 05-05-2007 08:10 AM

I agree with OP 100%, please give me attention now.

daryn 05-05-2007 08:15 AM

i just had a weird thought JUST as i awoke this morning. would mayweather win blindfolded? i think so.

stephan 05-05-2007 08:30 AM

I don't know why everyone is assuming i'd be throwing john wayne style haymakers. I know how to throw a punch and put weight behind it. Right now, I couldn't take him, but within a year of training i'd have a good shot.

Someone already commented earlier, but whoever said that Tyson couldn't punch harder than most heavyweights threw all there credibility out the window, and I think that guy was the one giving me the most crap. Tyson's punch is at least twice as hard as Mayweathers.

Andy Bear 05-05-2007 08:56 AM

do urself a favor.

go down to the local gym and challenge a local semipro. get ur ass kicked.

then come back to OOT, and claim that given a years training you would be ok.

Then listen to us point out that ofcourse anyone who was highly trained and had a large weight/size advantage has an advantage over a smaller guy.

But reality is u are not highly trained, he is.
And reality is u know f*ck all about boxing.

I bet ur have Irish heritage, huh?

Now shuttup meat sack.

NoSoup4U 05-05-2007 09:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How many 1st round knockouts does this guy even have? These featherweights don't knock people out in the 1st round.

[/ QUOTE ]

The closest comparison to fighting you would be the first few fights of his career when he would fight no-name boxers on the way up. He knocked out six of the first seven guys he boxed in the first two rounds (four of them in the first round). These guys were relative bums compared to Floyd. These guys were rock stars compared to you. Go to a local gym and get in the ring with a club boxer at 150 pounds and he'll kick your ass.

That said, height and weight differences are pretty huge. Mayweather would be unlikely to be able to fight even a complete stiff pro heavyweight without getting killed. Therefore, I'd say with six to twelve months training you could hold your own. Remember, Mayweather started as a super-featherweight.