Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   The Well: BobboFitos (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=372565)

BobboFitos 04-05-2007 01:44 PM

Re: The Well: BobboFitos

[ QUOTE ]
Bobbo, what advice would you give a SSNLer when moving up to midstakes?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ever see the movie Hoosiers? At the end, when they go to play the Indiana championship game, Gene Hackman makes them measure the height of the court, distance from the hoop to the ground, etc. The point he makes is that despite this game being significant in that there is a large crowd/etc., the game is the same. Same thing applies to poker; it's more money, but that's it.

BobboFitos 04-05-2007 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bobbo,

I see you advocate more semi-bluff pushes than any other poster. Your variance must be super high. What's your largest downswing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Interestingly, my variance is not super high. There are a bunch of reasons for this, but this thread 2 weeks ago explained why. maybe.

Djeorge 04-05-2007 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
we start with preflop play; i try to explain the "why" we do the things we do rather then "what we should do."

[/ QUOTE ]
For example, how would you articulate your reasoning for raising J2s on the button when it's folded to you?

Chomp 04-05-2007 02:12 PM

Could you say something about hand reading...tips, approaches, thoughts on assigning ranges etc. I absolutely suck at putting people on hands/ranges in tight spots so any pointers or random thoughts much appreciated.

Cheers, and I love your posts.

Paul Thomson 04-05-2007 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bobbo,

I see you advocate more semi-bluff pushes than any other poster. Your variance must be super high. What's your largest downswing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Interestingly, my variance is not super high. There are a bunch of reasons for this, but this thread 2 weeks ago explained why. maybe.

[/ QUOTE ]

You obviously a huge proponent of being 'aggressive'. I say this because it's the first thing you teach a new student and from the adive you post in threads.

At the same time, you've also pointed out that aggression for aggression sake is not +EV. And we've all heard the poker montra of "selective aggression". Is there any simple advice or suggestion that you can give as to how to think about when to be aggressive and when not to be?

There was a recent post by Snowball (sp?) that went against the at the time current SSNL advice of checking behind mediocre hands on the turn for pot control. Do you find it hard to balance the ideas of "betting for value", "betting for metagame", "pot control", "protecting your stack and not your hand", etc.?

can u commnet on the play of my hand from last night, thx:

[ QUOTE ]
Villain is 20/16 over a small sample size.

Stack sizes are 150bb. The 8 sucks on the river...

Poker Stars
No Limit Hold'em Cash Game
$2/$4 Blinds
6 Players
LegoPoker HH Converter

<font color="black">Stack Sizes</font>
<u>SB: $623.45</u>
BB: $443.20
UTG: $408.50
MP: $812.40
CO: $310.70
<font color="black">Hero (BTN): $592.35</font>

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($6, 6 Players)
3 folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $14</font>, SB calls $12, BB folds

<font color="black">Flop:</font> 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($38, 2 Players)
<font color="red">SB bets $20</font>, Hero calls $20

<font color="black">Turn:</font> 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($78, 2 Players)
<font color="red">SB bets $48</font>, Hero calls $48

<font color="black">River:</font> 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($174, 2 Players)
<font color="red">SB bets $145</font>, Hero folds

Pot Size: $174 ($3 Rake)

[/ QUOTE ]

BobboFitos 04-05-2007 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
we start with preflop play; i try to explain the "why" we do the things we do rather then "what we should do."

[/ QUOTE ]
For example, how would you articulate your reasoning for raising J2s on the button when it's folded to you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Blinds will fold alot
I'll win the pot on the flop alot
When neither of these happen, J2s can still make a hand.

BobboFitos 04-05-2007 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Could you say something about hand reading...tips, approaches, thoughts on assigning ranges etc. I absolutely suck at putting people on hands/ranges in tight spots so any pointers or random thoughts much appreciated.

Cheers, and I love your posts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks chomps =)
Hand reading is just starting from alot and narrowing down to a little. The mistake too many people make though is completely remove a hand just bc villain may have played differently; the key is just bc one person does not play a hand a certain way doesnt mean everyone else will play that certain way too.

whodatdare 04-05-2007 02:20 PM

Thanks for doing this, Bobbo.

What are the 5 most important things uNL'ers and SSNL'ers need to master to move up? And, can you elaborate a bit on each, if you don't mind?

HoldEmNewby 04-05-2007 02:28 PM

Co raises to 4BB its folded to you in the BB. What is your calling range, what is your raising range?

How does this change if you're in the SB?

HoldEmNewby 04-05-2007 02:37 PM

In your opinion what skill is more important (Explanations would be oh so nice):
The ability to play different hands the same?
or
The ability to play the same hand differently?