Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Trip Report - DUI (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=349505)

gonores 03-07-2007 08:20 PM

Re: Trip Report - DUI

Yeah...I pretty much stopped drinking alcohol beyond drinking for flavor (wines w/ dinner, good booze, etc)...and always only with a DD. I don't really drink to the point of inebriation any more, which means way less writing because most of my writing came while inebriated. Hence, the smaller amounts of posts.

I spent a [censored] of money on the best attorney in town, and despite the fact that I was a first time offender with a low BAC, the long and the short of it was he was worth every penny. I have some classes I still need to take by October (6 more hours worth) and when it's all said and done, it probably cost me $5k up front and at least another 5k in rising premiums over the next 5 years. But when it's all said and done, I will just get a reckless driving ticket and no DUI on the record.

Bicycles_Biatch 03-07-2007 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah...I pretty much stopped drinking alcohol beyond drinking for flavor (wines w/ dinner, good booze, etc)...and always only with a DD. I don't really drink to the point of inebriation any more, which means way less writing because most of my writing came while inebriated. Hence, the smaller amounts of posts.

I spent a [censored] of money on the best attorney in town, and despite the fact that I was a first time offender with a low BAC, the long and the short of it was he was worth every penny. I have some classes I still need to take by October (6 more hours worth) and when it's all said and done, it probably cost me $5k up front and at least another 5k in rising premiums over the next 5 years. But when it's all said and done, I will just get a reckless driving ticket and no DUI on the record.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's pretty sick... I know a guy who STABBED someone and got off with under a $1000 in fines and time served (72 hours). Sick.

tdarko 03-07-2007 08:36 PM

Christ almighty I had to stop reading these responses half-way through.

First to the OP, come on man tell the cop, "nothing to drink tonight just had a few cigars while pulling an all-nighter at work." If I am not drunk I am not telling the cop I have been drinking, f that. Also, you are brave for speeding after any drinks being consumed.

Secondly, some of you feel real comfortable on your high horse and it is sickening to read. I bet at least half of you and wouldn't be surprised if almost all of you have driven while .08 or above cause I am sure many of you have at one time, in college or whatever felt sober (because .08 is awfully low) and been over the legal limit. I am against drinking and driving and I actually think he should learn his lesson from this but there really isn't a need to act like he drank a handle of Beam and took it to the freeway. It is as simple as, "dude you [censored] up and should have been more careful." Thats about it.

guids 03-07-2007 08:38 PM

And even if you have NEVER had a sip of booze before driving, you douche bags have used a cellphone, drove tired etc. Lots of hypocritical dbags on these forums.

udbrky 03-07-2007 08:44 PM

2 years ago, I got a DUI. I was a first-time offender. I hit those concrete posts that keep you from hitting a building. Then, I continued driving, got pulled over, tried to act sober.

Failed the field tests, was cuffed, taken to the station. I blew a .172 (limit = .08). They processed me, let me call a friend and go home.

I went to a lawyer who tried to get me off, and I refused to let him, instead choosing to accept the consequences, but I was facing 5 misdemeanors, including the DUI and a hit and skip, and just got a public defendant to not get hit with the maximum on everything. I plead guilty to DUI and served 3 days in jail, 3 days in a program, paid a $250 fine, had my license suspended for 6 months, was on probation for a year, but the <sarcasm> best part was, I got those pretty yellow plates!</sarcasm>. But through the whole ordeal, I learned a lot about myself and became a better person, and got into poker.

I think you were fine and shouldn't be charged. But at the least, I hope that just having this happen will help others around you learn for the future. It sounds like you make good drinking and driving decisions already. Hopefully it helps friends realize what can happen.

in the program I went through, a DUI lawyer (who also helped word the law in Ohio) talked to us. These are some things he told us for the future, besides not doing it:

- Don't take the field tests or the breathalyzer. Ask for a blood test. If they make you sign a sheet saying you refused the breathalyzer, just write "I want a blood test" so they can't charge you with refusing, because you didn't refuse. You asked for the most reliable test.
- As you metabolize the alcohol you drink, your BAC will go up at first. So, if after you drink, your BAC will be a little lower at first than when your body has processed it. Then, as it is processed more, it wears off.
- Don't admit to anything. Same as with the field tests - anything you say and do will give them evidence against you. Don't give them evidence to use against you.

Additionally, some points I learned:
Be professional and friendly to the judge. Talk only when spoken to. Show the judge you're a responsible, smart adult, working hard, and this is just a mistake. It will help that you blew a .09. I didn't have that luxury.
- Find out about your judge. Not all judges are alike on DUI's. The law says what the minimum is. Some go way beyond. One of the judges here gives a mandatory breathalyzer in the car on first offenses. My judge was very nice.

guy.incognito 03-07-2007 08:48 PM

So you were drinking G&T's, but the cop said she smelled beer??? You should've realized cops can't smell over their smokey bacon scent.

WhoIam 03-07-2007 08:54 PM

Is SOP in these situations when you're probably right around the legal limit to demand a blood test or otherwise stall for time?

NLSoldier 03-07-2007 09:51 PM

BB,

assuming your timeline and number of drinks are accurate, it has got to be the cigars+diet+strong drinks. There is no way your BAC should have been that high. Also, why did she make you blow 5 times? were the first few lower or did they just not register?

Josey_Wales 03-07-2007 10:23 PM

DUI laws are ridiculous. I got pulled over once and told the cop I had 3 beers and was on my way home (1/2 mile away)from the bar. He got me out of the car and had me do all the tests. I passed, but was pissed for having to do something when I felt fine. In fact, the pressure of having to perform is the worst thing ever - especially when you know you are ok.

Another time I got stopped for speeding and the cop asked if I had been drinking and I said I had 2 martinis and a beer. No test.

I have driven completely wasted (to the point where I didn't remember driving home), slightly buzzed, and after just a couple drinks. I've just been lucky up to now for not being stopped when drunk, but I have since changed my ways and no longer drive like that. However, I will drive after a few beers at the bar and would think a DUI for that is unacceptable.

I know this is the minority viewpoint, but .08 is way too low.

Josey_Wales 03-07-2007 10:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So you were drinking G&T's, but the cop said she smelled beer??? You should've realized cops can't smell over their smokey bacon scent.

[/ QUOTE ]

very nice