Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Marty Schottenheimer fired (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=330424)

leehrat 02-13-2007 07:10 PM

Re: Marty Schottenheimer fired

it was salisbury. also, i'll just repeat that schottenheimer is a pitiful coach since so many in this thread seem to think otherwise.

DesertCat 02-13-2007 09:15 PM

Isn't Salsbury busy showing girls pics of his wang?

The word on the street is after Marty let his assistants go, he tried to put his brother in as assistant head coach. That was the last straw with Spanos.

Oh, and the Chargers new head coach will be....

... Jimmy Johnson.

MacGuyV 02-14-2007 12:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Okay, Marty is a good football guy, the players played hard for him, but the game has passed him by. He had to go. Nobody is going to hire this guy at 65. Chargers went 14-2 DESPITE Marty. He lost the B-more game with Martyball, and then Cameron took over the Offense. They were outcoached and choked in playoffs...again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except for maybe the last sentence that's all really stupid. You're drinking sick kool-aid if you think teams won't be interested in him next year. Did Cameron not giving the ball to LT in the 2nd half contribute to getting outcoached at all? AJ's a good personnel guy yeah, but it's equally apparant that he's a huge spazz.

Victor 02-14-2007 03:39 AM

"They were outcoached and choked in playoffs."

they win that game if they give lt the ball at the end. hell, the last drive he was getting 6 yards a carry and they gave it to him a couple times. its like the coaches decided, ahhh, its just too easy to run out the clock with lt we better try throwing with a rookie qb to a wr that has dropped 4 easy balls already. soooooo, who was calling the plays and running the offense that game?

lastchance 02-14-2007 03:44 AM

Marty, I think, is easily a top 15 coach in the NFL (and probably the best coach out on the market right now).

teamdonkey 02-14-2007 05:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
it was salisbury. also, i'll just repeat that schottenheimer is a pitiful coach since so many in this thread seem to think otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ]

205-139-1

anatta 02-14-2007 06:07 AM

Like every Charger fan that I know, I am glad he is gone. The vanilla offense, the overuse of LT, you guys don't remember how he got a 15 yard penalty for coming on the field vs Jets in playoffs, but I've seen every Charger game he's coached, he does not inspire confidence, on the contrary, the team seems to share his nerves come crunch time.

anatta 02-14-2007 06:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Okay, Marty is a good football guy, the players played hard for him, but the game has passed him by. He had to go. Nobody is going to hire this guy at 65. Chargers went 14-2 DESPITE Marty. He lost the B-more game with Martyball, and then Cameron took over the Offense. They were outcoached and choked in playoffs...again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except for maybe the last sentence that's all really stupid. You're drinking sick kool-aid if you think teams won't be interested in him next year. Did Cameron not giving the ball to LT in the 2nd half contribute to getting outcoached at all? AJ's a good personnel guy yeah, but it's equally apparant that he's a huge spazz.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its "all really stupid"? I assume you agree with fact that he is a good old school football guy and they players play hard for him.

As far as the Baltimore game, from management, to the players, from the press, to the fans, everybody thinks he lost that game, so unless everybody in the world is really stupid...

I said the game has passed him by. In light of the fact that he had the play calling taken away from him and in light of his overuse of the ultraconservative "Martyball" offense, I think its fair to say, at 65, the game has passed him by. I feel the same about other coaches of his era, such as Joe Gibbs or Mike Ditka. I don’t think my opinion here is necessarily correct, but its seems as logical as the next silly sports argument, and not fairly called stupid.

I also said "He had to go". Well, it seems a given that someone had to go, it was either Marty or AJ. Its it really that stupid to keep AJ? I highlighted AJ resume, you in turn counter with the claim that he is a "spazz" [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Which he is, but keeping a talented spazz isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Let's see, you agree with the last sentence, so what does that leave, oh yeah, that teams are going to be banging on the door next year for Marty. Maybe, it would seem strange to me to offer a 4 year deal that would expire when Coach is 70, but you disagree. Okay.

Cameron contributed to the playoff loss, I agree.

Colt McCoy 02-14-2007 10:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I JUST HEARD THAT SOME ESPN EXPERT IS SAYING AJ SHOULD HAVE BEEN FIRED NOT MARTY. WFT. I didn't catch the name, it was an upcoming Sportcenter promo.

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't matter. Smith will be gone right after the draft anyway.

Jack of Arcades 02-14-2007 11:28 AM

Yeah, the conflict between Marty and AJ doesn't reflect well on either of them.