Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Science, Math, and Philosophy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   First Official SMP Poker Tournament (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=302368)

bocablkr 01-12-2007 12:34 PM

Re: TOURNAMENT OVER - THEOLOGY QUESTOIN ANSWERED

When it got to HU there was a lot of discussion about Bots. I believe that Winggy admitted to using Bots but not during our game. My question is this - did he win this thing using the same strategy he programs his Bots with. If so, that IS scary.

revots33 01-12-2007 01:36 PM

Re: First Official SMP Poker Tournament

[ QUOTE ]
what part of this did winngy mis-understand?

he is a very good player in his own right. he played well and he hit a few lucky hands as anybody might have done. at one point he was down to about $1k in chips and could have gone out on any hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ray -

Is winngy the name of your bot?

[ QUOTE ]
you either keep the subject in the dark and demonize it or you let it step into the light and learn about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Serious question - what do you mean by this? Why do others need to learn how to cheat if they have no intention of cheating?

I'm interested to hear your position on why using bots in online poker is an ethical practice. Do you compare it to card-counting in blackjack, or what?

Also thanks to all who set up the tournament it was a lot of fun and would love to try a HORSE tourney (although I've never played razz in my life!).

kurto 01-12-2007 01:41 PM

Yes. Horse tourny!

[ QUOTE ]
(although I've never played razz in my life!).

[/ QUOTE ]

If you've played Stud8 you've KIND OF played Razz... just think of playing stud for the low without being constrained by the rule that all your cards have to be 8 or less.

Rduke55 01-12-2007 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes. Horse tourny!

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you've played Stud8 you've KIND OF played Razz... just think of playing stud for the low without being constrained by the rule that all your cards have to be 8 or less.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just going to make a post seeing if there was still interest in this. I also was thinking about possible making it $11 since some people aren't as comfortable with all the game and that also would get more people in it. Next week I won't be able to play much but maybe the week after?

RJT 01-12-2007 01:53 PM

THE AFTERHOURS INTRIGUE

It got down to 3 players and a few of us were still watching and Luckyme was still in the game (he finished 2nd – great job). We were chatting and asked winngy what his screen name is on 2+2. Well, let me digress – he was noticeably quit and not chatting. Then we found out he was not a regular poster on SMP. He tried to give the impression that he was a regular on 2+2. Said he posts in other forums, but didn’t name them. At that point even that was irrelevant – he was being coy about the whole thing. It became obvious that he came to the tourney simply for the money. Which is fine – the tourney was open to anyone who knew the password.

Next time we’ll have to give out secret decoder rings.

During the chat he did say he is a bot programmer. (Well Ray said he was and then winggy admitted it.) That didn’t really bother me, I can simply ignore him. The guy is from Belfast, so staying up to wee hours of the morning to play a low limit donkfest with folk you have never chatted with pretty much puts it in context.

RJT 01-12-2007 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yes. Horse tourny!

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just going to make a post seeing if there was still interest in this. I also was thinking about possible making it $11 since some people aren't as comfortable with all the game and that also would get more people in it. Next week I won't be able to play much but maybe the week after?

[/ QUOTE ]

At $11 you are going to have to pass out secret decoder rings for sure.

RJT 01-12-2007 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i can't speak for the 23 others but i know that neither myself or winngy were using a bot last night.

[/ QUOTE ]

That really is irrelevant. Get a grip. Better yet, get lost.

RJT 01-12-2007 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
why exactly is he a clown?

ray

[/ QUOTE ]

In cases like this, my experience is it's 63.65% nature and 36.35% nuture.

luckyme

[/ QUOTE ]

Man you are on a roll. Well played.

RayBornert 01-12-2007 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
what part of this did winngy mis-understand?

he is a very good player in his own right. he played well and he hit a few lucky hands as anybody might have done. at one point he was down to about $1k in chips and could have gone out on any hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ray -

[ QUOTE ]
you either keep the subject in the dark and demonize it or you let it step into the light and learn about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Serious question - what do you mean by this? Why do others need to learn how to cheat if they have no intention of cheating?

I'm interested to hear your position on why using bots in online poker is an ethical practice. Do you compare it to card-counting in blackjack, or what?

Also thanks to all who set up the tournament it was a lot of fun and would love to try a HORSE tourney (although I've never played razz in my life!).

[/ QUOTE ]

no. all of the names of the bots i've ever published are here under the op name "support"
http://forum.winholdem.net/wbb/viewforum.php?f=17

winngy is one of my customers who lives somewhere in ireland. he can speak for himself as he wishes.

he is quite likely going to be our forum member of the year as indicated by this poll:

he was the first to register for the 2007 pokerbot world championship:

he won the first weekly pbwc sponsor event described here:

and you will be able to very clearly distinguish my voice from his in the ventrilo channel - and all of the other players as well even those with a bot at the table.

if all of you really understood the situation you'd know that winngy is quite intentionally being very careful about using his bot such that ppl could know that it is the bot he will use in the 2007 pbwc - why? because he doesn't want it getting profiled before then. why? so that a competitor can't build the bot that can trump his. does this make sense to everyone?

one of the mechanics of pokerbot.com events is that all of the server side hand histories are given to each of the entrants at the conclusion of the event - these hh's contain all card info for all players - this means that profiling is allowed to have the very maximum amount of impact on the game - the players know this and accept this as part of the pbwc arena. this is very much like a tv camera table being able to see all card info - the only difference here is that a live digital platform has everything in ready to digest text based hh's.

ray

Links removed by Rduke55

Wubbie075 01-12-2007 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
no. all of the names of the bots i've ever published are here under the op name "support"
http://forum.winholdem.net/wbb/viewforum.php?f=17

winngy is one of my customers who lives somewhere in ireland. he can speak for himself as he wishes.

he is quite likely going to be our forum member of the year as indicated by this poll:

he was the first to register for the 2007 pokerbot world championship:

he won the first weekly pbwc sponsor event described here:

All of this making his previous posts on 2+2 so laughable…

Posted 11/26/06 07:29 AM:

[ QUOTE ]
So exactly how are we to stop bots if we dont try to extract some info from these posters ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Posted 11/25/06 09:16 PM:

[ QUOTE ]
I too have fallen foul of being accused of botting , same as the OP.This is not a great concern as I have never run any botting software so I presume I can prove my innonence.

[/ QUOTE ]

And of course the classic from this thread

[ QUOTE ]
I dont want to hi-jack this thread , but so far i have never lied on 2 + 2 ,or at that table

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops…