Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   I can't take college football seriously (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=274568)

MyTurn2Raise 12-04-2006 08:13 PM

Re: so what is the right playoff system?

It continually strikes me as interesting that the conference rated the best in a season struggles to put teams in the national title game.

The system I'm in favor of implementing gives the champ of a conference were everyone beats each other up a chance to challenge the undefeated team that runs over a conference lacking a middle and depth.

TheRover 12-04-2006 08:22 PM

Re: I can\'t take college football seriously

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Dude, I know this would never happen and might be a terrible idea anyway, but it would be nice if CFB could have some kind of promotion/relegation system like in soccer with the conferences. I will have to see if I can come up with any reasonable way this could work...

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean with the 4 series where you can move up or down? I always thought that was kinda cool and thought about that for CFB.

Not sure how it would work with 117 teams though.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on how many games you are willing to have the teams play. That's the main problem with doing this to football.

You could do this with nine levels with each conference playing having 13 teams and playing 13 games against each other. That would be a reasonable workload.

bernie 12-04-2006 08:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Dude, I know this would never happen and might be a terrible idea anyway, but it would be nice if CFB could have some kind of promotion/relegation system like in soccer with the conferences. I will have to see if I can come up with any reasonable way this could work...

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean with the 4 series where you can move up or down? I always thought that was kinda cool and thought about that for CFB.

Not sure how it would work with 117 teams though.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on how many games you are willing to have the teams play. That's the main problem with doing this to football.

You could do this with nine levels with each conference playing having 13 teams and playing 13 games against each other. That would be a reasonable workload.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except isn't the soccer season quite a bit longer?

I can't remember how they set it up. Wasn't it like you play each team in your serie twice while playing a few teams outside your serie? Then there was a sort of playoff within your serie(or did they combine the top teams in the different series for the playoffs?) I still really liked how the system worked.

9 series is ALOT to work through. Maybe it just seems that way. Eventually it would stabalize more. It might take more series to make it work, though.

The drawback I see is it wouldn't really spread the wealth that well among teams.

b

MyTurn2Raise 12-04-2006 08:33 PM

another drawback is the ruin of conference affiliations and geographic closeness for most games

it's impossible at this point

TheRover 12-04-2006 08:37 PM

Yeah, they of course play many more games over a longer time period. I believe every team plays every other team in it's division once at home and once on the road. This couldn't be done in CFB without really small conferences. Team with the most points (3 for win, 1 for draw) at the end of the season is champion.

I'm not sure what you mean by 9 conferences being a lot to work through.

I've thought about making a thread about this, but doubt many are interested, it's never going to happen anyway so it's mostly a waste of time, and there's way too many CFB stuff here now.

bernie 12-04-2006 09:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, they of course play many more games over a longer time period. I believe every team plays every other team in it's division once at home and once on the road. This couldn't be done in CFB without really small conferences. Team with the most points (3 for win, 1 for draw) at the end of the season is champion.

I'm not sure what you mean by 9 conferences being a lot to work through.

[/ QUOTE ]

To work from the bottom serie to the top it'd take about 8 years for a team to do it. But that might be an extreme case that would be rare anyways.

[ QUOTE ]
I've thought about making a thread about this, but doubt many are interested, it's never going to happen anyway so it's mostly a waste of time, and there's way too many CFB stuff here now.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's a cool idea on paper. It'd be too drastic of change for it to ever happen. Not to mention, it'd kill alot of money that's being spread around. But I'd love to see it.

I think it'd work better for NFL than CFB. If anything, because they're not limited on time-frame the way CFB is.

b

TheRover 12-04-2006 09:39 PM

Oh yeah, it would certainly take a long time to go from bottom conference to top and be very hard to do, but the teams that would be there are never in contention for anything now either.

I don't see how it could work in the NFL because of the small number of teams.

bernie 12-04-2006 09:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh yeah, it would certainly take a long time to go from bottom conference to top and be very hard to do, but the teams that would be there are never in contention for anything now either.

I don't see how it could work in the NFL because of the small number of teams.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's not that many more teams in soccer, are there? Aren't there only like, 10 teams per serie with 4 series?

32 teams in NFL. 4 series of 8 teams. Play each team in your serie twice(home/away) plus 3-6 out of serie games. Likely respective to where you start in your own serie. Say if you start out #4 (based on prior season) you play #4 in other series.

b

TheRover 12-04-2006 09:55 PM

Er, I guess what I should've said is that the problem with doing it in the NFL is that the difference between the top teams and bottom teams isn't all that much. Besides, what they got going is pretty damn good anyway.

There's 20 teams in the EPL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English...tem#The_system

Needle77 12-04-2006 09:56 PM

Re: so what is the right playoff system?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I still think 8 team is way to much. I don't see a college athlete's body capable of taking a 16 game schedule. They are no where near as conditioned or prepared as a NFL team. These players are only allowed a certain number of hours(20?) a week with their coaches. NFL players have problems staying on the field with 16 game schedule, how the hell can we expect a student to do it? Like i said before, we don't expect this out of college baseball, to play 162, or basketball, to play 82.

[/ QUOTE ]
Dude, they have a MONTH off after the regular season. If you're looking for someone to blame here, blame the athletic directors who keep making the regular season longer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Take this from someone that knows how a college football season feels, it takes until after spring practice for your body to get back to 100%. A month does not anywhere near enough justice to a body.

And if they started this "playoff" I'm sure they'd start earlier. These kids aren't conditioned for this. Unless the NCAA feels that coaches can have the kids for 30+ hours a week these kids will never be that conditioned.

Oh and I think its the presidents to blame.