Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   How are the police allowed to do this? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=260424)

NT! 11-15-2006 12:52 AM

Re: How are the police allowed to do this?

[ QUOTE ]
yeah, well, cops and their friends dont usually get shot to death while just walking down the street by white people in suits. its tit for tat.

[/ QUOTE ]

don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya

NT! 11-15-2006 12:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Believe it or not, black males commit a lot of crime in this country. Sounds like this guy had a big chip on his shoulder. If he was innocent, he should act innocent.

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe if he's not innocent they should charge him with something.

take a break, this post is retarded.

ItalianFX 11-15-2006 12:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Italian -

This was a clear case of racial profiling. If the police report had read "A suspect matching Weary's description was being sought in relation to a report of ____________." it would have been totally different. I'm sorry but police do not (should not) have the right to randomly pull people over because they "look suspicious". The officers could have, should have, offered an explanation for why Weary was pulled over. Finally, at no point did Weary do anything that warranted the use of a Taser. I know you'll disagree with me on this but Weary was obviously not armed the police had plenty of back-up. Don't you think it's odd that he is still in jail and no charges have been filed?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right, I won't agree. I don't think you can say it's racial profiling, because it's not. They weren't looking for a specific person. They were on alert because of criminal activity. When they see something suspicious, they step it up, and investigate it more. That's usually how you solve crimes.

Just like during the Maryland? Sniper. They got reports of a white box truck/van, so what did the police do? They stopped traffic and stopped every white box truck/van that fit the vague description. It doesn't mean they did anything wrong. What do you think would have happened if the guy was in that van and he was looking all nervous and suspicious. Police aren't stupid and when something doesn't seem right, they usually pick up on it. If they thought someone looked suspicious in the sniper case, they would investigate it more and see what is going on. You never know what you'll run into. Maybe they are acting nervous because the back of the truck is full of cocaine and they are delivering it? Those are the crazy things that police run into sometimes.

So anyways, the police don't have to always be looking for someone. They were on alert so they watch for things that seem out of place. This "just so happened to be big black dude who looked suspicious" guy was driving through which the police picked up on. How they stopped him, who knows? I'm not going to question why they stopped him and under what articulations. I bet even if the guy was white that they would have picked up on it and stopped him.

As for the Taser, you don't think if you were in that position and were just pushed, and then the guy comes after you, that you aren't going to use some type of intermediate or impact weapon to stop the threat? I know I would.

As for being in jail, some states are different. I can only speak for Pennsylvania, and I'm not going to get in on that. I can't speak for other states, but I don't find it odd at all.

Boris 11-15-2006 01:08 AM

Italian - in the sniper example the police were on the lookout for something fairly specific, a white box truck or van. They were not on the lookout for suspicious looking individuals. Also, the Houston report doesn't mention the nature of the criminal activity. In the sniper example the crimes were horrific so of course one would expect a more aggressive police response. But in the Weary arrest report the police are noticeably vague about what exactly caused the heightened level of suspicion. Was it a bike theft or was it a triple homicide? Or were the police just covering their ass in the report and there wasn't any specific instance of criminal activity that caused the alert; it was just a bad neighborhood.

Life 11-15-2006 01:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm actually friends with a great deal of black people.

[/ QUOTE ]

like this guy?

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/7307/claytonbkx1.png

Max Raker 11-15-2006 01:14 AM

I guess I would be pretty pissed off if I was rich and still got treated this badly. Everytime I have been pulled over, I ask why (as I reach for my stuff) and I have always gotten an answer. I think you are legally allowed to do this right? I mean if they say no reason or something stupid, you don't have to tell them who you are right?

liquidboss 11-15-2006 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I mean if they say no reason or something stupid, you don't have to tell them who you are right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, I hope you just didn't think about it and aren't really this dumb. If you get pulled over (ie you were driving a car) you have to show a driver's liscense so he will know who you are. Otherwise you are driving without a liscense and you get tazered.

ItalianFX 11-15-2006 01:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Italian - in the sniper example the police were on the lookout for something fairly specific, a white box truck or van. They were not on the lookout for suspicious looking individuals. Also, the Houston report doesn't mention the nature of the criminal activity. In the sniper example the crimes were horrific so of course one would expect a more aggressive police response. But in the Weary arrest report the police are noticeably vague about what exactly caused the heightened level of suspicion. Was it a bike theft or was it a triple homicide? Or were the police just covering their ass in the report and there wasn't any specific instance of criminal activity that caused the alert; it was just a bad neighborhood.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you are minimizing the crime they are dealing with. Just because a sniper was killing people doesn't mean they have to compare it to being on alert for criminal activity in a certain part of the city. It doesn't matter what they were on alert for. The fact is, they are police, they were doing preventive patrolling or surveillance, or whatever you want to refer to it as.

Max Raker 11-15-2006 01:22 AM

I am curious now

NT! 11-15-2006 01:27 AM

I think Boris makes an excellent point. The bottom line is that the reasoning for pulling this person over is pretty thin, and he hasn't been charged with anything. "Looking at police in a suspicious manner" ??? Noticing the front plate is missing after they initiate pursuit??? Very thin. They couldn't even say he went over the yellow line or something?

Ital is making a clear description about common police procedures, and we all know that a cop who is determined to pull you over is going to be able to find a reason. However it's rare that the report is this thin with regard to the premise in a case this publicized.

Bottom line, I don't blame you for sticking up for fellow cops bro, but common police procedures are designed to give officers pretty much full license to stop and detain someone in a vehicle, which, in certain cases, seems to expand the constitutional notion of 'probable cause' to the point that it's basically meaningless.