Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Books and Publications (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   The Mathematics of Poker (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=250412)

imported_Chuck Weinstock 12-05-2006 05:14 PM

The Mathematics of Poker Errata

Maurile,

Thanks for pointing these out. Finding them all is a very difficult job.

As it says in the front of the book, an errata list will be maintained at http://www.conjelco.com/mathofpoker/

These entries will kick it off as soon as I have a chance to put them up.

Best,

Chuck

checkmate36 12-06-2006 12:06 AM

Re: The Mathematics of Poker Errata

Any idea when Borders or other retailers could have it on the shelf?

Gabe 12-06-2006 12:18 AM

on page 51 last paragraph doesn't make sense to me. it says, that in 30-60 game "There is $75 in the pot...Now AK bets $30...So from an immediate pot odds standpoint, B needs to be getting better than $75 to $30 (or 40%) to win the pot." his pot odds are $105 to $30 and the phrase "to win the pot" doesn't seem right.

shouldn't it say something like "the pot odds are 105 to 30 or 3.5 to 1, but the odds of making his hand are 37 to 8 or 4.625 to 1 so he shouldn't call."

sobefuddled 12-06-2006 12:22 AM

Re: Good News/Bad News/Good News/Amazon

Well, I wrote to them stating that I believed they do now have it in stock and asked if their delivery date would change as a result. Here is the answer I received.
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for writing to us at Amazon.com.

Please allow me to extend my most sincere apologies for any
frustration this matter has caused.

I have researched our website and found that the item "The
Mathematics of Poker (Paperback)" is currently unavailable. We will
e-mail you when this title becomes available.

I'm sorry we are unable to be more precise about the availability of
the item. I realize that, this has delayed the estimated delivery
date.

The availability and shipping time frames listed on our web site are
estimates, not guarantees. While we do our best to adhere to these
estimates, our inventory is constantly changing based on information
we receive directly from our suppliers.

Occasionally, unexpected fluctuations in supply will add time to our
original availability estimate. I do understand that such changes
can be frustrating for you.

We are very sorry for any inconvenience that this situation has
caused and would like to thank you for your understanding and
patience.

Thank you for shopping at Amazon.com.

Please let us know if this e-mail resolved your question

[/ QUOTE ]
I guess they run on the assumption that the average customer is stupid and cannot search the website on their own. I ran on the assumption that they would have more info at their disposal than I had. Which proves the point of the old adage about Ass u me.

maurile 12-06-2006 12:52 AM

Page 75: In the second equation on the page, "p(Y wins 6th street)" appears twice, but the second time it should be "p(Y misses on 6th street)". (Y will miss 34/42 of the time, which is consistent with the next equation.)

Page 77: "X still has a clear call, getting more than 3 to 1 from the pot" should be "Y still has a clear call, getting more than 3 to 1 from the pot."

renodoc 12-06-2006 02:30 AM

Re: The Mathematics of Poker

I got my copy a few days ago. I wish I hadn't hit the mathwall in freshman calc, and i also wish my brain was 20 years younger. I find myself skipping most of the equations and just triple reading the concepts.

sputum 12-06-2006 08:35 AM

My copy just arrived (UK from Conjelco)
WOOHOO!!!!!!!!
Looks astonishing.

punter11235 12-06-2006 03:07 PM

What will be faster ? Waiting for amazon or ordering from Conjelco ?
I live in Poland and Conjelco doesnt have "international priority" shipping option and I am worried the shipment will take weeks to get here [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

sobefuddled 12-06-2006 04:19 PM

Well, right now it looks like anything is likely to be faster than Amazon. They are still predicting a ship date of January 4 and that, btw, is NOT free shipping. While I probably won't get to read it until after the holidays, wife and mother that I am, I'm OK with it but if I were the publisher I'd have a problem with AMazon. The book was #733 on the Amazon list the week it came out. That's alot of sales to play games with IMHO.

VespaRally 12-06-2006 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, right now it looks like anything is likely to be faster than Amazon. They are still predicting a ship date of January 4 and that, btw, is NOT free shipping. While I probably won't get to read it until after the holidays, wife and mother that I am, I'm OK with it but if I were the publisher I'd have a problem with AMazon. The book was #733 on the Amazon list the week it came out. That's alot of sales to play games with IMHO.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I've never had a problem ordering from Amazon before, but this is pretty bad to not send out e-mails or try to clarify the situation on their website. A lag time of a month is way too long when other people are getting their grubby mitts on this long-awaited book.

FWIW, Amazon now has private sellers clucking the book albeit for a $10 higher price. I bit.