Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   great finds at trader joe's (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=102852)

ship it 06-01-2006 02:52 PM

Re: great finds at trader joe\'s

Joes spiced tortilla chips -10
Joes queso dip - 1

El Diablo 06-01-2006 02:56 PM

astro,

Soup report. I got three of the boxed organic soups.

Carrot-Ginger
Creamy Tomato
Butternut Squash

The Carrot-Ginger was very bland. I added salt, pepper, and red chili flakes and topped w/ a small spoon of creme fraiche. That made the soup pretty tasty.

The Tomato soup was much better, but I still had to add some salt and pepper.

Haven't tried the Butternut Squash soup yet.

ship it 06-01-2006 02:57 PM

El D,

Do you make your own Creme Fraiche?

Rick Nebiolo 06-01-2006 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
astro,

Just had a sandwich made w/ Trader Joe's sliced pork loin cold cuts. Wow, that is some damn tasty sandwich meat!

[/ QUOTE ]

Italian spiced turkey is also good. It's the one loosely sealed in a tray, not the suction wrapped type. Of course I can't eat it until I'm eight hours into the day.

~ Rick

TomM 06-01-2006 03:23 PM

For those comfortable enough with their sexuality, the frozen chocolate covered bananas are great:

http://img366.imageshack.us/img366/3...bananas2qh.jpg
(photo credit: some guy's blog)

ship it 06-01-2006 03:25 PM

ZOMG frozen chocolate dick, me me me.

suzzer99 06-01-2006 03:27 PM

One of my favorite meals is to take some albacore tuna packed in oil, mix it with mayonaisse and capers, then wrap it with a whole wheat Pita lightly pan fried in olive oil. All from Trader Joes. Yum. Also the crab cakes kick ass. And I love the Indian bag in a box stuff. Also I think they have the best string cheese around, and Ahi Tuna steaks.

astroglide 06-01-2006 03:51 PM

the cereal there is off the charts for me. the vanilla almond clusters are awesome, the toffee clusters are very good, i already mentioned the soy nut and flaxseed stuff.

i had some organic guacamole chips and salsa the other day. the chips basically tasted like guacamole doritos, so they were good. the salsa was like a better version of tostito's.

the thai lime peanuts are very good, but they come in a monstrous bag. good thing to pick up to share with the office.

the wasabi peas didn't impress me. the wasabi flavor was consistent, but there was something about the chickpeas i didn't like.

the vegetarian black bean soup is probably amy's organic. it's good, but the lentil soup tastes better and is healthier.

i think blackberry is the best flavor of fruit leather (you get it in the checkout aisle). they're all good though.

i got whatever brand of cottage cheese it is they carry. it's not private label, and it doesn't advertise anything about organic or even "no hormones", which i found pretty odd. anyway the flavor/consistency wasn't there, i'd much rather have dierberg's stuff (a local grocer).

i picked up some apricot applesauce and took it to my sister's house on memorial day, but we didn't open it and i left it there [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] it looked good...

i think i've mentioned it elsewhere, but the pesto pizza is excellent. cheap, easy to make, great crust, only about 1000 calories for a whole pizza (great to split with two).

the refrigerated artichoke ravioli is fantastic. we used organic basil marinara, but i actually abandoned it and started eating the rest straight up. i think it would be great with a very light amount of butter and/or olive oil.

theBruiser500 06-04-2006 05:27 AM

their indian food is really good. in the rectangle thin boxes. it's in a tinfoil stiff bag, boil for a few minutes and then there is delicious indian food ready to eat. very easy to make, very solid quality.

ethan 06-04-2006 05:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
their indian food is really good. in the rectangle thin boxes. it's in a tinfoil stiff bag, boil for a few minutes and then there is delicious indian food ready to eat. very easy to make, very solid quality.

[/ QUOTE ]

Back when Tasty Bites involved steak/chicken, they were among my standard Trader-Joe's purchases. I was sad to see them go. The vegetarian stuff still tastes fine, the meat just tended to be more interesting.

It's not something you'd want to eat normally, but the "salty, sweet and nutty trail mix" is great during a hike. 2100 calories per 14oz bag. The ingredient list is sort of scary - calorie-wise it's about halfway to pure lard.