Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Beat: beckham over LT? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=442291)

Vyse 07-06-2007 04:51 PM

Re: Beat: beckham over LT?

[ QUOTE ]

Yes, but he has not transcended the sport. Beckham has, and then some.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not in the US.

MicroBob 07-06-2007 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

LT is the 2nd best current football player WHO ALSO isn't a big endorser and who most non-football fans have never heard of.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fixed.

Seriously, I mentioned earlier in this thread but for those of you too lazy to read the whole thing I feel like repeating it.

My GF, Mom, sister and probably my 91-year-old grandmother in West Virgina all have heard of David Beckham and have some idea who he is.
None of them care about soccer.

all 4 of them would have zero clue who 'LT' or LaDanian Tomlinson is.
Even if I said, "He's a really good running-back for San Diego who is setting all kinds of records for touchdowns" they STILL wouldn't know who I was referring too.

I'm also guessing that all 4 of them wouldn't be able to tell me who won the Super Bowl this year or even that the name of the team in San Diego is called the "Chargers".

But they all freaking know who David Beckham is. That's a no-brainer.

This really isn't that hard.

Some of you seem to be living in your own football worlds where the game is a really huge deal so everyone MUST know who Tomlinson is because, duh, he's really freaking good obviously.

I'm a football fan too. But I get out enough to understand that many many people just don't give a crap.

Vyse 07-06-2007 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

My GF, Mom, sister and probably my 91-year-old grandmother in West Virgina all have heard of David Beckham and have some idea who he is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay? My mom and sister know who LDT is. None of them watch football. My friend knows who LT is because he's seen his jerseys. He couldn't name one soccer player outside of Pele.

Do you see why this idiotic subjective "OMG MY SISTER PROLLY KNOWS HOW TO BEND IT LIKE BECKHAM" crap is not a valid argument?

TheRover 07-06-2007 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this is so stupid: "LT is the 2nd best current football player"

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp

midwestkc 07-06-2007 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay? My mom and sister know who LDT is. None of them watch football. My friend knows who LT is because he's seen his jerseys. He couldn't name one soccer player outside of Pele.

Do you see why this idiotic subjective "OMG MY SISTER PROLLY KNOWS HOW TO BEND IT LIKE BECKHAM" crap is not a valid argument?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you really think that he wouldn't know who David Beckham is, either A) Your hatred of soccer is such that you're blinded to see that everyone knows who freaking David Beckham is...Even if you avoid soccer, I bet he watches Sportscenter, or the news, or anything else on TV/radio because he's freaking everywhere; or B)He needs to get out more. I guarantee you that in the last year he has heard of David Beckham if he has been anywhere near a TV Sports show.

However, if you watch the show, this is exactly what this lame ass "bracket" is all about. It's not about who is better or who would more sports fans know. It's Who's Now, as in good at his sport (which Beckham is; he's overrated, but the bottom line is he's still a very good player), AND who is the most famous. And last I checked, being married to a pop star, in every fashion magazine, and all over shows like "Entertainment Tonight" make someone a lot more famous than just being on SportsCenter and NFLN.

BillNye 07-06-2007 08:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

this is stupid so I dont even wanna try to explain that LT means far more to his sport than Beckham and is far more "in" then Beckham is.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know much about Beckham but I do know one thing about RB's and that is that we overrate them tremendously. Is LDT great? Yes, but he isn't a whole level above other RB's that if the league had a redraft today, it would be a stretch that he is a top 10 pick. I'm sure most people would agree with me on this board.

Disclaimer: I over value offensive lineman tremendously, due to the fact that I currently am I.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree fully on the thing about offensive lineman making up most for a RB, which is why I think LJ will suck this year, (who couldnt run behind his monster line).

Regardless I think that LT IS one level above the competition. After LT there is an immediate drop off point.

For the record: RB is most overrated position. (I try not to admit that after the vikes drafted AP but its the truth).

tarheeljks 07-06-2007 09:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Yes, but he has not transcended the sport. Beckham has, and then some.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not in the US.

[/ QUOTE ]

case and point
/thread
ban op?

Vyse 07-06-2007 09:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If you really think that he wouldn't know who David Beckham is

[/ QUOTE ]

I asked. They aren't. Get over yourself. You still failed to see the point. Donk.

.Alex. 07-06-2007 10:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

all 4 of them would have zero clue who 'LT' or LaDanian Tomlinson is.
Even if I said, "He's a really good running-back for San Diego who is setting all kinds of records for touchdowns" they STILL wouldn't know who I was referring too.

I'm also guessing that all 4 of them wouldn't be able to tell me who won the Super Bowl this year or even that the name of the team in San Diego is called the "Chargers".

But they all freaking know who David Beckham is. That's a no-brainer.

This really isn't that hard.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm honestly not sure who I think is more "Now," but you're not addressing the extent of the knowledge of the two players, which is important. It's safe to say that more people do know who Beckham is, mostly because of all the women that read Us Weekly, but they probably don't know anything about him beyond that he plays soccer, is from England, is married to a spice girl, and will be coming to the US soon. They likely don't even know which teams he's played for or will play for in the US, and neither do most guys. On the other hand, of the 60% or whatever of the population that's heard of LT, many of them could tell you that he plays RB for the Chargers, has just set the all-time TD record, and maybe that he arrived there because they traded away their shot at Vick. Big difference, no?

Jack of Arcades 07-06-2007 10:55 PM

I hope all of you guys realize that Ladainian Tomlinson beat David Beckham in this poll.