Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   The Lounge: Discussion+Review (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Ask Anklebreaker about soccer (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=232175)

SixT4 10-10-2006 01:48 PM

Re: Ask Anklebreaker about soccer

What chance do Northern Ireland have to qualify for Euro 2008?

jstnrgrs 10-10-2006 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As long as the officiating is accurate and consistent, it's not a problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

From what I've seen, officiating in soccer is rarely up to this level.

[/ QUOTE ]yeah, I have seen tons of mistakes in EPL games this year, all of which can be easily corrected with instant replay. I have also seen about as many horrible calls in college football this year as well. So soccer isn't the only sport.

[/ QUOTE ]

From what I have seen, officiation is worse in soccer than in football (Oregon/Oklahoma was bad of course). However, there is no single error by which a football official can give a team 20 points. And I think that is about whatan undeserved penalty kick with a red card is equivialnt to.

Soccer officials might not be any worse, but officiating effects the game much more IMO.

KDawg 10-10-2006 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Worst injury you've ever seen?

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally seen a bunch of ankles break, knees give way and faces get smacked.

This vid has some bad ones. Check out 1:38 I think.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdF2d1otghA

[/ QUOTE ]

just saw it, its not teh Dave Busst leg break, therefore its not the worst. Busst's was so bad that Schmeichel puked right after it happened

[/ QUOTE ]

you mean this one

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored] you. That wasn't neccessary at all. I'm not clicking teh link cause i've seen it several times and don't need to see it again

KDawg 10-10-2006 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As long as the officiating is accurate and consistent, it's not a problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

From what I've seen, officiating in soccer is rarely up to this level.

[/ QUOTE ]yeah, I have seen tons of mistakes in EPL games this year, all of which can be easily corrected with instant replay. I have also seen about as many horrible calls in college football this year as well. So soccer isn't the only sport.

[/ QUOTE ]

From what I have seen, officiation is worse in soccer than in football (Oregon/Oklahoma was bad of course). However, there is no single error by which a football official can give a team 20 points. And I think that is about whatan undeserved penalty kick with a red card is equivialnt to.

Soccer officials might not be any worse, but officiating effects the game much more IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

how much soccer do you actually watch. Officiating in almost all sports leaves a lot to be desired. There are only 3 officials to watch 22 players on a pitch. There is talk about adding a second match offical on the pitch which i think could help.

TSC, as far as instant replay, its kinda hard to decide on what would fall under it. stuff like offsides would be hard because at that point the breakaway or pass is over so the team on offense probably doesn't gain much by having a ruling in their favor. It would also be difficult in card worthy fouls as that is always subjective. Using some sort of goal line technology i think needs to happen, but other then that I don't know how effective replays would be in other parts of the game

ThaSaltCracka 10-10-2006 06:03 PM

replays should be used on calls in the box, only. Not missed calls, but actual calls in the box. When the ref thinks a foul has occured and it involves something as critical as a foul in the box, or even a goal, they should be able to review it.

jstnrgrs 10-10-2006 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how much soccer do you actually watch.

[/ QUOTE ]

I watch the world cup, and a few champions league matches. I'm glad that you've finaly listed a problem with soccer. I still would interested in knowing what you think the biggest problems with soccer are.

KDawg 10-10-2006 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I watch the world cup, and a few champions league matches. I'm glad that you've finaly listed a problem with soccer. I still would interested in knowing what you think the biggest problems with soccer are.

[/ QUOTE ]

there are lots of problems with football, but it varies from country to country, so giving a uniform set of problems for football as a whole is near impossible IMO. Right now one of the biggest problems in europe is the G14 basically running the club show and they are only looking out for their own intrests, but there are also corruption problems in many of the nations that aren't in the top 5 or 6 leagues. stuff like the goal size, size of teh pitch, etc aren't the real problems with the game and won't make a positive difference IMO, but taking away the massive corporate nature of it will surely make a positive difference and working on having leagues have more native players too as the game should be about styles

jstnrgrs 10-10-2006 08:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

there are lots of problems with football, but it varies from country to country, so giving a uniform set of problems for football as a whole is near impossible IMO. Right now one of the biggest problems in europe is the G14 basically running the club show and they are only looking out for their own intrests, but there are also corruption problems in many of the nations that aren't in the top 5 or 6 leagues. stuff like the goal size, size of teh pitch, etc aren't the real problems with the game and won't make a positive difference IMO, but taking away the massive corporate nature of it will surely make a positive difference and working on having leagues have more native players too as the game should be about styles

[/ QUOTE ]

So you believe that there are no overarching problems that effect all of soccer?

jstnrgrs 10-10-2006 08:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
working on having leagues have more native players too as the game should be about styles

[/ QUOTE ]

So soccer fans believe segregation is good? Do you have any idea how hard it was to get rid of segregation in American sports (and all other aspects of American life). I think you should reconsider your position on this one.

HojoMofo 10-10-2006 09:02 PM

when will soccer players stop growing vaginas everytime they are midly contacted and falling to the ground crying?
Also, given that the World Cup is supposed to be the best players in the world, dont you think its a problem that is not a good representation of soccer on the whole?