Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   How Big Of A Life Nit Am I? (Cell phones on trains) (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=465984)

guids 08-01-2007 04:11 PM

Re: How Big Of A Life Nit Am I? (Cell phones on trains)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You can't help hearing, but listening is volitional. It's all on you.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is where I disagree. I cannot block out a conversation when it stands out as the main sound in a room. I would absolutely love to, but I just can't. Hence why the lady who talks on the phone 95% of the day in the cube next to me drives me batsh*t crazy.

And Blarg, why are you so condescending towards people who disagree with you? This whole situation seems like such a minor deal, and it's just a difference of opinion... I just don't get where you're coming from.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats because you are a chick, us guys are awesome at tuning out conversations.

El Diablo 08-01-2007 04:27 PM

Blarg,

How do you feel about people sitting at a bar or restaurant having conversations on their cell phones?

I think it is super rude and annoying.

El Diablo 08-01-2007 04:27 PM

FFK,

Blarg gets very passionate about his arguments.

mason55 08-01-2007 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Blarg,

How do you feel about people sitting at a bar or restaurant having conversations on their cell phones?

[/ QUOTE ]

Alone? Or when they're with someone?

First one is wtf. Second one really bothers me and I actually made a post about it in here like a year ago.

El Diablo 08-01-2007 04:51 PM

mason,

Either. There is discussion on that topic in the cell phone thread that was linked in the recent Elaine thread.

I am mainly just interested in Blarg's opinion on that, though, based on his feelings re: train cell phone convos.

chesspain 08-01-2007 05:03 PM

People talking loudly on their cell phones piss me off as well. One thing I've thought to do, but haven't had the balls to try, is to just slide up next to this person and begin interjecting into their conversation in an equally loud voice.

DrewDevil 08-01-2007 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
People talking loudly on their cell phones piss me off as well. One thing I've thought to do, but haven't had the balls to try, is to just slide up next to this person and begin interjecting into their conversation in an equally loud voice.

[/ QUOTE ]

This would be very funny, at least to someone watching.

Blarg 08-01-2007 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Blarg, How often are you on public transportation?

[/ QUOTE ]

Until a year ago, I took the L.A. subway from the valley into downtown L.A. every day since it was first opened. In my school days, constantly. This last year I moved and am now driving.

Blarg 08-01-2007 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You can't help hearing, but listening is volitional. It's all on you.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is where I disagree. I cannot block out a conversation when it stands out as the main sound in a room. I would absolutely love to, but I just can't. Hence why the lady who talks on the phone 95% of the day in the cube next to me drives me batsh*t crazy.

And Blarg, why are you so condescending towards people who disagree with you? This whole situation seems like such a minor deal, and it's just a difference of opinion... I just don't get where you're coming from.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats because you are a chick, us guys are awesome at tuning out conversations.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm chuckling at that, but probably not feeling as guilty as I should about it.

Blarg 08-01-2007 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Blarg,

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, unless it's like in a food court or really casual place like that.

I'm much more annoyed by ringing and loud talking into the phone than by regular phone talking, though. If some guy just has his phone on vibration instead of ring, and gets in and out of a quick call in a low tone, it doesn't move me much unless it's at the movies.